MHKs....no commitment.

littlebushy

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm not sure that is correct? A medical doctor is a practical application and has historical meanings, a Ph.D is a qualification in various fields.

Yoo don't think a science Ph.D has a practical application then, Geology, Biochemistry, etc etc

3 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Yoo don't think a science Ph.D has a practical application then, Geology, Biochemistry, etc etc

I'm not saying that, the confusion is that they are both entitled to be called Doctor, but their qualifications have different meanings.

32 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

How do they address him if they wish to address him formally? If he wished to be addressed as Mr, he would made sure that the press knew that.

But he definitely couldn't do that.  As a medically qualified person, that would imply he was a surgeon, which he isn't.

The Tynwald website lists how people should be addressed, but I don't think they get much say in the matter, it's what the etiquette books dictate. Haywood (with a PhD) is addressed as 'Doctor' as well. 

As you may be aware from Manx Forums, people don't have much control over what others call you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

entitled to be called Doctor,

The character in Fawlty Towers, known as The Major, is in away the kind of person I was referring to. People who feel entitled to use a title that is irrelevant.

If Allinson, or any other prospective MHK, turned up at my door I would be reasonably polite. I would not address Allinson as "Alex", because I do not know him. "Mr" would be OK.

However, if he introduced himself as "Dr Allinson" I would ask if he was there about my medical condition, and then tell him to leave the premises (politely).

In my opinion, Allinson uses the the title Dr because:

1. There are plenty of old dears in Ramsey who think that as a doctor he must be a really capable person (and it only takes a few votes in Ramsey to get elected)

2. He likes to let menials like me know that we are inferior to him.

At some time in the past, at a public meeting, Allinson told the audience that he was "a Cambridge man". Well, I am not a Cambridge man and by quite a distance too.

I am not insulted by his use of the title "Dr", but I simply have a low opinion him.

[Nah. I have thought things over. If he turns up at my door and introduces himself as Dr Allinson I will just tell him to fuck off.]

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

But he definitely couldn't do that.  As a medically qualified person, that would imply he was a surgeon, which he isn't.

How would anyone know that he was medically qualified?

22 hours ago, Anyone said:

Ok , I think the Westminster one is quite a large country and the Leinster one a bit of a smaller one. I don’t really see what can be learned from the way they operate. From what I see Westminster is nightmare that no sane jurisdiction would want to replicate ( maybe you learned that from your trip but anyone could have told you that for free ). As for the other one , well really , they’d not have been too keen on you being English and that. 

Confused ? You might want to brush up on your history. 

11 hours ago, Two-lane said:

In my opinion, Allinson uses the the title Dr because:

1. There are plenty of old dears in Ramsey who think that as a doctor he must be a really capable person (and it only takes a few votes in Ramsey to get elected)

2. He likes to let menials like me know that we are inferior to him.

At some time in the past, at a public meeting, Allinson told the audience that he was "a Cambridge man".

I think he uses the title Dr because he’s a doctor - it’s a habit over many years and I don’t really give a monkeys.   On the other hand, telling the audience that he is a “Cambridge man” is definitely putting us menials in our place - essentially implying that anyone in the audience who didn’t go to Oxbridge must be his intellectual inferior.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I think he uses the title Dr because he’s a doctor - it’s a habit over many years and I don’t really give a monkeys.   On the other hand, telling the audience that he is a “Cambridge man” is definitely putting us menials in our place - essentially implying that anyone in the audience who didn’t go to Oxbridge must be his intellectual inferior.

Cambridge man hasn't worn shoes since 2021 and posts pictures of his dirty feet on OnlyFans

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Cambridge man hasn't worn shoes since 2021 and posts pictures of his dirty feet on OnlyFans

I confess it’s a side of Dr Allinson of which I wasn’t previously aware - I wonder if his voters know?

Also, I’m intrigued to learn that you frequent “OnlyFans”, VoR…

Edited by Jarndyce

15 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Apparently he has a page where you pay to watch him froth at the mouth, scream sovereignty, and list the benefits of Brexit.

Its a very short video, but so expensive

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

I confess it’s a side of Dr Allinson of which I wasn’t previously aware - I wonder if his voters know?

VoR may instead have been on Cambridgeshire News, which seems to have originated the story (no doubt the Mail will have pirated it by now).  Obviously in this case the young gentleman is someone who merely lives in the place rather than defines themself by having spent some months there for a few years in their late teens.

(I like that they managed to crop out his feet in the first picture, when they were presumably the point of it.  IOM Newspapers have got competition).