Liberal Vannin party

CrazyDave

14 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Last post on the topic. But I guarantee you have been abusive towards me more  times in the last week than I have to you.

Seriously.  Take a look back even just at this thread.

And...there you go again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

The moderation is very poor and very biased towards certain people.

Some of the abuse dished out is pretty awful and seemingly ok.  When people retaliate they are banned 🤷‍♂️

The moderators are not there to referee spats between posters, or to take sides.  They are there to protect the forum.  If they become too heavy handed, they risk becoming common law editors and then for every post made, particularly if there is defamation.  At the same time they try, with a light touch, to keep threads on the rails and to ban posters who become too disruptive, but it is a fine line. 

It is for posters to moderate their own behaviour, by and large, but if they threaten the forum or expose it to legal issues, then the mods should and usually do step in.  It is when the mods are challenged in their decisions that their patience is tried somewhat.  Everyone has signed up to the t&cs, so respect them.  I know from prior experience of being a mod, that sometimes these things spill outside of MF and that is unsettling, especially when it is an unpaid role with quite a bit of fallout from the less than prudent posters. 

Just ask yourself when you post if you would a) say that to a person's face and b) be prepared for the face to face reaction, whether it is deep hurt or a smack in the face. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Well said Gladys.    The position of a Moderator is not one I would like to do and I think they should be respected and thanked for the time they put in.

Respect is earned in my eyes.  One mod keeps abusing other posters which is hardly the way it should be.

Anyway........

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

The moderators are not there to referee spats between posters, or to take sides.  They are there to protect the forum.  If they become too heavy handed, they risk becoming common law editors and then for every post made, particularly if there is defamation.  At the same time they try, with a light touch, to keep threads on the rails and to ban posters who become too disruptive, but it is a fine line. 

It is for posters to moderate their own behaviour, by and large, but if they threaten the forum or expose it to legal issues, then the mods should and usually do step in.  It is when the mods are challenged in their decisions that their patience is tried somewhat.  Everyone has signed up to the t&cs, so respect them.  I know from prior experience of being a mod, that sometimes these things spill outside of MF and that is unsettling, especially when it is an unpaid role with quite a bit of fallout from the less than prudent posters. 

Just ask yourself when you post if you would a) say that to a person's face and b) be prepared for the face to face reaction, whether it is deep hurt or a smack in the face. 

Heavy handed and frankly ridiculous moderation has led to good posters permanently leaving the forum. It is a fine line you are right, I personally prefer the approach Albert is taking to that taken by John Wright.

I know my own language can be a bit agricultural, it is like that in real life too and is one of the reasons I could never be a politician. I would definitely tell someone to fuck off to their face, not just online. I'd also tell them on the open forum rather than sending abusive PMs.

• Haha 3