The girlies are off to Malta

27 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

This thread should really be titled ‘Manx Crab Syndrome - a perfect example’.

The usual suspects on this forum would be the first to criticise Tynwald members for not engaging more widely.

I’m tempted to see if the CPA will organise an ‘e-gaming for small islands’ conference in Las Vegas just to have you all snapping your claws in furious indignation.

Stu it’s more about the way some MHKs don’t seem to understand that everything they do is paid for by taxpayers. Instead of saying it isn’t, she should have pointed out the tangible benefits of it. 

As for egaming, no need for Vegas. IoM is represented in Manila next week (and we’re the only small island that matters in this regard). Just hope the guys aren’t as jet lagged as last time :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Wake Up Call said:

Chances are; many of the valid contributors on MF are civil servants or have business contracts with Government and hence remain anonymous. It reflects the culture of government that forums and such commentary like this exist.

Sure, I appreciate that. But it makes it impossible to determine the experience or validity of posters. For all I know half the people on here could be trolling schoolchildren with big ideas but no life experience.

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Stu it’s more about the way some MHKs don’t seem to understand that everything they do is paid for by taxpayers. Instead of saying it isn’t, she should have pointed out the tangible benefits of it. 

As for egaming, no need for Vegas. IoM is represented in Manila next week (and we’re the only small island that matters in this regard). Just hope the guys aren’t as jet lagged as last time :) 

Yeah, but I wouldn’t ask to go to Manila. Here’s a thought; elect MHK’s every five years and support them instead of instantly trying to pull them down, question their integrity or sanity and call them stupid. I’m going to spend less time on here because it depresses me. That’s not a flounce, but a realisation that colleagues have been right who have been telling me for years that I’m wasting my time trying to explain or debate on social media.

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

For all I know half the people on here could be trolling schoolchildren with big ideas but no life experience.

They could also be mature, responsible citizens with well-discharged financial responsibilities who are both concerned and frustrated at the highly visible mishandling of fiscal matters in respect of expenditure, a rising taxation burden and use of reserves with no apparent plan to replace them. They may also be successful business owners with the same concerns. 

Finding the same qualities in MHKs has been difficult for some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Stu Peters said:

Yeah, but I wouldn’t ask to go to Manila. Here’s a thought; elect MHK’s every five years and support them instead of instantly trying to pull them down, question their integrity or sanity and call them stupid. I’m going to spend less time on here because it depresses me. That’s not a flounce, but a realisation that colleagues have been right who have been telling me for years that I’m wasting my time trying to explain or debate on social media.

I'd like to support them!!! I'd like our lovely little island to be exactly that.

But my car tax is crazy, my income tax is going up, the cost of sending my child to a school that is falling apart on the bus is up, my electric bill has rocketed because no one has done anything about an illegal debt from 30 years ago, i need to renew my passport but the office is only open 3 hours a day when I'm at work, the ferry prices are a joke because of mad policy decisions, there are hundreds more little things that our government are doing to make our lives worse.

So yeah, go ahead, spend less time here, hang out on IoM what the fuck? with all the other mental self centered loonies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Sure, I appreciate that. But it makes it impossible to determine the experience or validity of posters. For all I know half the people on here could be trolling schoolchildren with big ideas but no life experience.

But it doesn't matter who they are, it's what posters say that is important.  The whole point about (mostly) anonymous forums is that you assess contributions on their content, not on how 'authoritative' the person making them is.   Far too often politicians and others (including many MF contributors) think all they need to do to decide whether to take something seriously is whether it's said by someone you approve of.  But if Billy Bignuts is  saying that 2 + 2 is 137 and the schoolchild is pointing out that it's 4, then they're right, no matter how matey you are with Billy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There are posters absolutely ripping into Michelle Haywood on FB, she appears to have no comprehension that all these things, including her salary, are ultimately paid for by the taxpayer. She just keeps repeating this mantra that it's being paid for by the CPA and "Tynwald Office".

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/members-of-tynwald-travel-to-malta-for-conference/

The Manx Radio item gives a trifle more information. I do not see that those topics are specific to women in the Commonwealth. Possibly a conference in Liverpool might be just as productive.

Anyway, it unreasonable to criticise Haywood - she only has a PhD. Allinson, on the other hand, is a proper doctor and Finance Minister to boot. He knows about money.

"Manx Utilities will begin replacing consumers’ electricity meters with smart meters from next year.

It will cost the authority £18.2m to do it.

MU chairman Alex Allinson MHK said that the cost would be spread over 10 years.

’That cost will not be passed on to the consumer,’ he said."

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Some of the shit on Facebook goes too far and I personally stay away from it now. We’re kinda in the same boat, even if mine is slightly smaller. You can’t win on there.

What you can do is be better in communicating. Maybe not yourself as you at least have journalistic understanding. But posts like hers about the trip are a prime example. I’m all for supporting IOMG to go to places and know these things aren’t really jollies. Be better in telling people the benefits.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd like to support them!!! I'd like our lovely little island to be exactly that.

But my car tax is crazy, my income tax is going up, the cost of sending my child to a school that is falling apart on the bus is up, my electric bill has rocketed because no one has done anything about an illegal debt from 30 years ago, i need to renew my passport but the office is only open 3 hours a day when I'm at work, the ferry prices are a joke because of mad policy decisions, there are hundreds more little things that our government are doing to make our lives worse.

So yeah, go ahead, spend less time here, hang out on IoM what the fuck? with all the other mental self centered loonies. 

Very eloquently expressed, and summed up nicely. The sad thing is that some will deny that there is nothing wrong, and everything on the island is tickety boo, and booming. 

I don’t think that going to Malta, even if ‘it doesn’t cost the taxpayers’ is vital or essential. Some taxpayers on the island may not be able to afford little luxuries this year, especially a holiday ………… off the island. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Oddly enough politicians at trade conferences and other events can be a big plus.  Potential clients, trade media etc are impressed to meet a Minister or Member responsible for the business they work in.  It sends out a signal that the industry is considered important.  But for it to work they have to:

• Know what they are talking about enough to have a proper conversation.  They don't have to master every detail but be knowledgeable enough to pass people over to someone who does at the right time.  Of course you also need to make sure you have such people on your delegation as well.
  • Not promise anything.  Sympathetic listening is the way to go.
  • Not piss off after the photos have been taken on the first morning and not be seen for the rest of the event.

But it's hard work as such events always are (unless you piss off after the photos).

As for people on social media 'supporting' their MHKs, surely the best way to do that is to make sure that they do a good job and that will involve telling them where they think things are going wrong.  If you want nothing except grovelling praise, you're in the wrong job.

Given that you made a good living for years out of radio programmes when people treated politicians by "instantly trying to pull them down, question their integrity or sanity and call them stupid", you shouldn't really claim to be surprised when it happens to you.  And it should also have made you aware that you shouldn't take the noisiest and most ignorant voices as typical and use it as an excuse to avoid interacting with the public at all.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Some of the shit on Facebook goes too far and I personally stay away from it now. We’re kinda in the same boat, even if mine is slightly smaller. You can’t win on there.

What you can do is be better in communicating. Maybe not yourself as you at least have journalistic understanding. But posts like hers about the trip are a prime example. I’m all for supporting IOMG to go to places and know these things aren’t really jollies. Be better in telling people the benefits.

They want the islands taxpayers and residents to pull the island out of the shit ………. especially with its healthcare, then they wind people up with their press releases and dick waving. It’s the optics, they haven’t read the room.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

They want the islands taxpayers and residents to pull the island out of the shit ………. especially with its healthcare

Whilst they continue to squander and indulge themselves and display the financial discipline of kids in a sweet shop

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oddly enough politicians at trade conferences and other events can be a big plus.  Potential clients, trade media etc are impressed to meet a Minister or Member responsible for the business they work in.  It sends out a signal that the industry is considered important.  But for it to work they have to:

• Know what they are talking about enough to have a proper conversation.  They don't have to master every detail but be knowledgeable enough to pass people over to someone who does at the right time.  Of course you also need to make sure you have such people on your delegation as well.
  • Not promise anything.  Sympathetic listening is the way to go.
  • Not piss off after the photos have been taken on the first morning and not be seen for the rest of the event.

But it's hard work as such events always are (unless you piss off after the photos).

We used to send Skelly ..... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2