The girlies are off to Malta

I'm concerned about what "fact finding" they'll get up to...? From December 2019:

Malta’s corruption is not just in the heart of government, it’s the entire body

Only now, two years after Daphne Caruana Galizia’s murder, is it becoming clear just how rotten the state really is

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/03/malta-corruption-daphne-caruana-galizia-murder

Corruption would appear to be endemic. A recent example:

https://www.eppo.europa.eu/en/news/malta-eight-arrested-investigation-customs-fraud-and-corruption-public-officials

With the corruption rep of Malta I would have to say it's a very poor choice.

Unless they're just going for the climate of course...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've just found Michelle Hayward's contributions on the FB article, she appears to be quite determined that it's not taxpayer funded.

She points out that the CPA are covering the cost of the conference (she claims that IoM contributes £20k a year to CPA) and that the two-flight travel costs are being "covered" by the Tynwald Office.

So most definitely not funded in any way, shape or form by Island taxpayers then. No indeed.

With this sort of arrogant vision on display is it any wonder the public are seething?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I've just found Michelle Hayward's contributions on the FB article, she appears to be quite determined that it's not taxpayer funded.

She points out that the CPA are covering the cost of the conference (she claims that IoM contributes £20k a year to CPA) and that the two-flight travel costs are being "covered" by the Tynwald Office.

So most definitely not funded in any way, shape or form by Island taxpayers then. No indeed.

With this sort of arrogant vision on display is it any wonder the public are seething?

To me it wouldn’t matter whether it was taxpayer funded or CPA funded. What concerns me is our politicos priorities, and also the whole optics whereby, taxpayers are paying increased tax payments, whilst politicos are getting special treatment, for example free car parking. I would say that conferences like this, aren’t of benefit, especially to be able to do the job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

To me it wouldn’t matter whether it was taxpayer funded or CPA funded. What concerns me is our politicos priorities, and also the whole optics whereby, taxpayers are paying increased tax payments, whilst politicos are getting special treatment, for example free car parking. I would say that conferences like this, aren’t of benefit, especially to be able to do the job. 

I think they are probably of benefit - but only if they can learn, come back, use what they learns to adapt/change policy for the better. But I don’t really see any of that behaviour represented . I’m a great believer of learning from other people’s mistakes and successes - but unless politicians are willing to actually use this to change policy for the better, I don’t see the justification. Hopefully some of the attendees to these conferences will learn and apply said learning for the good of the island. 

Edited by Steve_Christian
  • Haha 2

It sounds a bit like a hen party where women get together to moan about how badly they feel about men in politics. Perhaps Stu can lead a stag do to the male conference about how women are screwing up politics for men? 

55 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It sounds a bit like a hen party where women get together to moan about how badly they feel about men in politics. Perhaps Stu can lead a stag do to the male conference about how women are screwing up politics for men? 

To be fair he had a taxpayer-funded job on Manx Radio doing that for about 20 years.  Maybe give the ladies a turn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

No, our Stu doesn't like jollies, sorry business trips. He prefers to stay home and do nothing instead.

It’s basically a work trip for them even if it’s going to likely be of no real world value. Honestly not too bothered if they easyJet it down to Malta for a few days. Stuff like this won’t break the bank. Many other things they aren’t doing will. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not like that freeloading c*#t Watterson then.

To be fair to Vice Admiral Watterson I’m sure his expenses are next to nothing each year. (Except paracetamol, once) 

he is not the mhk to be beating a stick with on this subject. There are about 23 others who you really should be venting this at. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

To be fair to Vice Admiral Watterson I’m sure his expenses are next to nothing each year. (Except paracetamol, once) 

he is not the mhk to be beating a stick with on this subject. There are about 23 others who you really should be venting this at. 

Thanks Juan, no Falkland Islands trips this year?

7 hours ago, Anyone said:

Well if they want to find out about corruption , cronyism and general bad governance then Malta is the place to go. 

Shouldn't the Maltese be coming here for that?

• Thanks 1