The girlies are off to Malta

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:
On 3/9/2024 at 6:33 PM, littlebushy said:

Who's paying for the QTips?

Great band, fronted by Paul Young. The predecessor Streetband had that classic 'Toast'.

Wherever I lay my hat, that’s my hatstand…

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

Very eloquently expressed, and summed up nicely. The sad thing is that some will deny that there is nothing wrong, and everything on the island is tickety boo, and booming. 

I don’t think that going to Malta, even if ‘it doesn’t cost the taxpayers’ is vital or essential. Some taxpayers on the island may not be able to afford little luxuries this year, especially a holiday ………… off the island. 

As Roger put it a bit further up, trade shows are important and can mean new business. It’s nice to be able to pull someone from IOMG into a conversation and often makes a great impression. Of course the person needs to reasonably know what they are talking about, but the detailed stuff is left to the private sector anyway. Take ICE in London for example. Great to have Digital and the GSC there plus political members. You gotta spend money to make money. 

46 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

As Roger put it a bit further up, trade shows are important and can mean new business. It’s nice to be able to pull someone from IOMG into a conversation and often makes a great impression. Of course the person needs to reasonably know what they are talking about, but the detailed stuff is left to the private sector anyway. Take ICE in London for example. Great to have Digital and the GSC there plus political members. You gotta spend money to make money. 

Boy do our politicians know how to spend money 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gizo said:

To be fair to Vice Admiral Watterson I’m sure his expenses are next to nothing each year. (Except paracetamol, once) 

he is not the mhk to be beating a stick with on this subject. There are about 23 others who you really should be venting this at. 

He actually has a white navy uniform that he wears ( you know like officer and a gentleman ) , I kid you not as I saw him disappear in to a loo at Glasgow Airport in civvies and reappear like he was auditioning for Village People. True.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Yeah, but I wouldn’t ask to go to Manila. Here’s a thought; elect MHK’s every five years and support them instead of instantly trying to pull them down, question their integrity or sanity and call them stupid. I’m going to spend less time on here because it depresses me. That’s not a flounce, but a realisation that colleagues have been right who have been telling me for years that I’m wasting my time trying to explain or debate on social media.

Don’t do it then , be an MHK that is. You’re right it’s a thankless task in this day and age. Being an MHK that is. 

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

How much business will Maltby, Corlett and Daffy bring to the island? 

I agree with your post. I have no problem with what you’re describing, my issue is with the political conferences. 

11 hours ago, Amadeus said:

It's only Gaming though.  As I had a little flounce last week.  They're clutching at straws with anything else now.  Used to be the case that you could get Govt input, comment, access etc for other stuff.  It seems that for whatever reason, they've given up on that now. 

27 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

My guess would be in the fuck all range.

I'm eagerly awaiting the press release for the internationally renowned yoghurt weavers that will be re-locating to the Island following productive meetings with the Girlies in Malta. 

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It's only Gaming though.  As I had a little flounce last week.  They're clutching at straws with anything else now.  Used to be the case that you could get Govt input, comment, access etc for other stuff.  It seems that for whatever reason, they've given up on that now. 

What happened to Digital trying to attract fintech? Given up?