State of the Roads

Passing Time

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Stu was good enough to provide a breakdown of how much motorist's revenue was actually spent on the roads before his assimilation was fully completed...bear in mind that these figures were pre-the huge recent rises in RF duty.

Screenshot_20240316-224728_Gallery.jpg

Your point is?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Your point is?

My point is that of the millions and millions in various forms of revenue being extracted from motorists in various taxes and charges, only a small percentage is spent on road maintenance, by figures supplied by the man himself.

Now to be fair, there has been a marked increase in roads and pavement maintenance (IMHO) since Black got emptied and Curphey took over. But it's still chickenfeed compared to the tax take. I was supporting your question.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

My point is that of the millions and millions in various forms of revenue being extracted from motorists in various taxes and charges, only a small percentage is spent on road maintenance, by figures supplied by the man himself.

Now to be fair, there has been a marked increase in roads and pavement maintenance (IMHO) since Black got emptied and Curphey took over. But it's still chickenfeed compared to the tax take. I was supporting your question.

Now then you know all this money must go to feed the government Ponzi pension scheme   there is very little left for anything else,   after all there even raiding the reserves by over £100 million just to make ends meet  , sadly you wont see any significant change until the money finally runs out , 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Care to point out where exactly 

23 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Well, they have relaid (with tarmac) most of the pavement between Glentramman and Kerroomooar (for the long 1000s of pedestrians who use it, not), I believe that the next job is the road surface at Kerroomooar itself which is in an appalling state for the TT course and has been for some years. They have done the same thing with the RH pavement on May Hill in Ramsey. Glentramman corner itself has been resurfaced in tarmac. Both these road sections are obviously TT course.

Hopefully they will look at Parliament Sq in Ramsey next which is currently a 3rd world patchwork. Off the TT course, St Jude's Straight is disgusting too.

But it's quite refreshing to see the DOI taking an interest in road and pavement matters anywhere above a line drawn between Peel and Laxey.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

So all vat raised on sweets and cake should go to tackle obesity, all income tax raised on labour should only pay for skills training and unemployment benefits and so on. Really all tax from polluting vehicles should go towards climate change mitigation surely, making the roads better only encourages the fat old twats.

15 hours ago, rachomics said:

Which law? 

I'm looking forward to her geraniums brightening up the road if it hasn't been resurfaced later this year. 

We seem to be able to find the money to resurface bits and pieces of the TT Course but little else. My road took 2 years to fill the pot holes after I reported it to Onchan Commissioners. 

Why would you report potholes to Onchan Commissioners and expect run to do anything about it?

That is like me saying Manx telecom too two years to fix my electricity meter

6 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Are you blind. Or do you just not get out much?

There is noticeably more work getting done around the island in the last couple of years, and the quality of the work has improved.

Unfortunately due to budgets and work force they obviously can’t do the whole island at once and some roads just don’t justify the cost of a fresh surface.

6 hours ago, HiVibes said:

So all vat raised on sweets and cake should go to tackle obesity, all income tax raised on labour should only pay for skills training and unemployment benefits and so on. Really all tax from polluting vehicles should go towards climate change mitigation surely, making the roads better only encourages the fat old twats.

Far too much of our tax also goes to fund social security benefits, social housing, addiction therapy and methadone for young wasters too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Far too much of our tax also goes to fund social security benefits, social housing, addiction therapy and methadone for young wasters too.

Wow

Fortunately I have never had to use any, but I am glad they are there for the people who need them.  What about dental care for people who drink fizzy drinks?

I certainly hope anyone who posts or agrees with a comment like that is their ideal weight and exercises regularly.  Or do lazy fatties deserve different treatment? 

15 hours ago, rachomics said:

You got me. Tires. Tyres. The rubber things that cover the metal thing that rotate to make the bigger thing go forward 😂

and backwards , we're in the isle of man remember.

31 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Wow

Fortunately I have never had to use any, but I am glad they are there for the people who need them.  What about dental care for people who drink fizzy drinks?

I certainly hope anyone who posts or agrees with a comment like that is their ideal weight and exercises regularly.  Or do lazy fatties deserve different treatment? 

We already pay extra tax on fizzy drinks, Juan Watterson pushed that through.

My point is not that all motorists revenue should be spent on the roads, just that presently only a tiny fraction of it is. The User Pays principle is having the piss taken out of it in this respect, the numbers are there to be seen a couple of posts back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Over for the weekend. 

Definitely better roads in general than my area of the UK

Don’t try giving facts to those who believe that our roads are the worst in the Uk and everything is shit in Iom but great in Uk despite many news stories to the contrary 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Very little is spent on social housing, probably why we have a few junkies.  The worst junkies though are the old people pilled up to the eyeballs and still driving and moaning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1