State of the Roads

Passing Time

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I have to agree with @CrazyDave to some extent. It is hard to conclude that @Gizo knew what he was on about as his post made no sense. It seemed to refer to the DOI as the MUA which would lead the reader to summarise that @Gizo didn't have a clue. However to be fair to Gizo he has clarified it and does now what he is on about. We have all made errors.

We do know that if you report a pothole then the DOI will come and fix it (albeit to a very poor standard). They do it because if someone reports one and then there is an accident or serious damage to a vehicle or person then they would be liable. They would have guilty knowledge.

If you report a pothole to the MUA they will just get confused and put the electricity price up to cover it.

Maybe we can all be friends.

Poor standard would be a vast improvement on the current "repairs". This normally consists of a shovel of tarmac patted down with the back of a shovel

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Poor standard would be a vast improvement on the current "repairs". This normally consists of a shovel of tarmac patted down with the back of a shovel

In my eyes, that's a poor standard. Perhaps bodge up would be a better description. Like putting a bit of chewing gum in a tooth cavity. They did one in Somerset Rd last year. It lasted literally hours

26 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

No it doesn’t.  The machine that came outside our house was their jet repair thing or whatever they call it.  It certainly wasn’t a bloke with a shovel 🙄

I had occasion to be driving (across) over the past week and, ladies and gentlemen, I can with, a degree of certainty, say that while the state of roads here leave a lot to be desired along with the (non) quality of repairs (I read in a 'national' that the average pothole repair lasts 9 days) some of the road surfaces, and main roads at that, were positively 'third-world'.

There was one particular stretch of A570 in Ormskirk whereon a stretch of I'd estimate of 200yds, 40% of the tarmac surface was missing leaving hard core exposed..... and that wasn't atypical.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You should see what they've done on the Mt Murray backroad! 

Between the New Ctown Road and the Estate/hotel, there is a section where the top inch has completely separated from a 10 meter section of road.  They filled it with something a year ago, which has all peeled out.  Then last week they sprayed some tar on it and covered it with gravel, which has now also all come out.   I could literally do a better job just using my penis. 

Knowing the hotel hosts quite a few car events in addition to general tourists, I can only imagine what the guests think. 

There is also a big portion by between the golf club and the farm that has pretty much completely disintegrated and has been doing for the last few years.  Honestly it's a bit sketchy even on a mountain bike! 

@Stu Peters reports they are planning on re-doing the whole thing properly soon though. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

some of the road surfaces, and main roads at that, were positively 'third-world'.

We could only hope for third world roads.  Maybe we could join the Belt & Road and get China to pay for them? 

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

I had occasion to be driving (across) over the past week and, ladies and gentlemen, I can with, a degree of certainty, say that while the state of roads here leave a lot to be desired along with the (non) quality of repairs (I read in a 'national' that the average pothole repair lasts 9 days) some of the road surfaces, and main roads at that, were positively 'third-world'.

There was one particular stretch of A570 in Ormskirk whereon a stretch of I'd estimate of 200yds, 40% of the tarmac surface was missing leaving hard core exposed..... and that wasn't atypical.

.... I can agree with this - even the M6 has some pot holes now if if doing some MPH can be bad if you hit them...

Roads have gone to an abismal state - for any one getting off at Heysham - turn left on to the industrial estate and you'll get a good feel of what awaits.

Terran

See the geniuses in the DoI are closing the Mountain Road and Glen Helen at the same time. Must have the sacrificial altar of road racing ready for the TV.

Onchan and Peel are going to get quite busy. Wonder if they'll temporarily suspend parking on the alternative routes or totally ignore it.

Just hope no-one has an accident on the coast roads at or near rush hour.

Edited by CallMeCurious

52 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

There is also a big portion by between the golf club and the farm that has pretty much completely disintegrated and has been doing for the last few years.  Honestly it's a bit sketchy even on a mountain bike! 

Isn’t it a 20mph limit?  Easily navigated if you stick to the posted limit and there isn’t really much need for low speed roads to be like billiard tables.

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

See the geniuses in the DoI are closing the Mountain Road and Glen Helen at the same time. Must have the sacrificial altar of road racing ready for the TV.

Onchan and Peel are going to get quite busy. Wonder if they'll temporarily suspend parking on the alternative routes or totally ignore it.

Just hope no-one has an accident on the coast roads at or near rush hour.

When?

54 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

You should see what they've done on the Mt Murray backroad! 

Between the New Ctown Road and the Estate/hotel, there is a section where the top inch has completely separated from a 10 meter section of road.  They filled it with something a year ago, which has all peeled out.  Then last week they sprayed some tar on it and covered it with gravel, which has now also all come out.   I could literally do a better job just using my penis. 

Knowing the hotel hosts quite a few car events in addition to general tourists, I can only imagine what the guests think. 

@Stu Peters reports they are planning on re-doing the whole thing properly soon though. 

Is @Stu Peters going to lend them his Penis

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Hey Ho.

If it needs doing then it needs doing.

People complain the roads are bad, then complain about how they fix them.

Allow extra time for your journey, no biggie and I say that as someone who travels north to south and back at least twice a day when on island.

7 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You don’t get off the island much then?

Oh the opposite used to be true, but I'll admit not so much over the last couple of years.

However many of the 75 countries I've visited are third world countries and in many of them I've seen better roads.  But as noted, they've either been built by the Chinese or are for the purpose of allowing easy access for tanks into shanty towns. 

• Haha 1