TT Marshals re-brand

On 3/17/2024 at 11:16 AM, joebean said:

Oh, so you know what the cause of that incident was? In your eyes all about the decisions made by the CoC rather than errors by marshals? And you also know that nothing has been done to enhance rider safety as a result of it? Life must be quite different in your parallel universe. I couldn’t care less about the TT these days and will not be on the island over the period. It seems that those that say they care about it are least interested in any facts and prefer their own opinions about it. 

As far as I know no report of the incident has been made available to the public.

The CoC notified marshals that riders would be returning to the grandstand counterclockwise  ( has happened before with no probs , eg after DJ's incident). 

However:-  Riders should , after a red flag ,return following a travelling marshal  fore and aft  ,at normal road speed under waved yellow's at all marshalling points . I'm told that this was part of the riders briefing .

That said , while marshalling @ Black Hut a rider stopped ( ran out of fuel) , confirmed he had retired  and while the marshals were in the hut went outside , fired up his bike and set off (on cold tyres !) without permission , he made about 100yds  . Race control were informed  .

The marshals  I know would never have permitted a rider to set off ( having stopped for any reason)  without an explicit instruction from race control.

I know that a Marshal @ Sulby Bridge put out a red flag to stop riders returning back down the course, stopped 2 , ( confirmed by a pic in local paper &I know the marshal involved) 

I understand the incident leading to the red flag had been resolved and involved a single rider with no other rider involved so there would appear to be no reason for the police to attend ( so no "blame" , no possible manslaughter charge) .  I have dealt with 5 offs @ 'Casey's" including 2 fatals ( single bike incidents) and the police did not attend during the roads being closed. 

I am not apportioning blame to anyone as I don.t have all the facts , just stating what I do know .

I have contacted the CoC and others in relation to the 2  fatalities  @ Caseys ,  in both cases the riders went in early and the initial point of impact was a culvert pipe ( and it's subsequent remains/ large rocks ) in the gully adjacent to the raised curb on the bend . The riders who went in late ( survived) were thrown onto the banking . I was advised by the CoC that there was no perceived danger and  no 'cushioning' was necessary .  I note that the gully was filled in with large granite rocks but latterly  dug out again and Imo more of a hazard as rocks have replaced the sod/moss bank now further down the course .

I have also ventured to suggest that  riders who went 'off' @ Black Hut (7 if memory serves) 3  suffered with severe lower leg trauma as a result of coming into contact with the vertically sloping wall at the start of the bend which could, IMO, be alleviated by the installation of boarding .

I chose ( as an Ex H&S enforcing  inspector ,across) not  to continue marshalling ( my job was looking after the rider , with a medic if we had one ). If , god forbid , history repeats itself I couldn't face the relatives of the deceased rider and again have  to choose to be compassionate rather than honest when asked  "what happened ?".

My only reason for posting the above is to improve rider safety at my former marshalling points :flowers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5