MANXFORUMS 2024

Sentience

This criticism is not about money.

And yet it is.

I can fully understand the site owners wanting to try and cover costs with the latest providers allowing advertising, BUT, the staggering amount of commercial content is just unbelievable!!

It has now become SO cluttered that it makes reading the content of any post devoid of any sense of flow.

Ok, we are told that there is an option to 'Subscribe' and avoid this kind of content (blackmail)....at a cost.

For a lot of us, NOT subscribing is NOT about money, rather a sense of security or other personal reasons.

As I said, it's quite understandable to want to cover costs, but the amount of very intrusive ads is, frankly unreasonable IMHO.

Forum owners, I believe you have been sold a very messy 'right pup'.

Edited by Sentience
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sentience said:

And yet it is.

I can fully understand the site owners wanting to try and cover costs with the latest providers allowing advertising, BUT, the staggering amount of commercial content is just unbelievable!!

It has now become SO cluttered that it makes reading the content of any post devoid of any sense of flow.

Ok, we are told that there is an option to 'Subscribe' and avoid this kind of content (blackmail)....at a cost.

For a lot of us, NOT subscribing is NOT about money, rather a sense of security or other personal reasons.

As I said, it's quite understandable to want to cover costs, but the amount of very intrusive ads is, frankly unreasonable IMHO.

Try paying to host a service like this. I do, it doesn't come cheap. The only real reason you have for not digging out some cash is that you're a tight-arse, many people do subscribe.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Try paying to host a service like this. I do, it doesn't come cheap. The only real reason you have for not digging out some cash is that you're a tight-arse, many people do subscribe.

If you don't want want to pay to host a service like this then don't. Nobody is forcing you to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sentience said:

And yet it is.

Quite a few people are not seeing these 'ads'. Try and see if you can install an ad blocker.

Or subscribe. Last time my subscription lapsed I was not using the forum much so I didn’t immediately re-subscribe. When I did dip in it was awful with the ads. Don’t know how you cope with them. 

Genuine question - how much does ad-blocker software cost, or is it ‘free’ and ironically paid for by certain ads it mysteriously allows to slip through its net?

Just now, wrighty said:

Or subscribe. Last time my subscription lapsed I was not using the forum much so I didn’t immediately re-subscribe. When I did dip in it was awful with the ads. Don’t know how you cope with them. 

Genuine question - how much does ad-blocker software cost, or is it ‘free’ and ironically paid for by certain ads it mysteriously allows to slip through its net?

Google has a script which defats ad blockers, so this could just be a sort-term solution.

4 hours ago, Sentience said:

And yet it is.

Just pay a subscription fee then tightarse 

• Haha 1

It’s outrageous. My disposable income has been hammered as a resident of this..in the last two weeks alone I’ve moved my mortgage, bought a fedora hat, ordered a years supply of vitamin supplements for my cat, and bought a toilet for an African village. I’m almost fecking skint!

Someone is posting anonymously on IoM news & politics facebook about moderators blocking their posts because they don’t like them! Assume it’s the multiple personalities guy recently banned 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1