No Sunday Newspapers (again)!

Max Power

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve often wondered why there isn’t some sort of paper mill type thing here whereby the newspaper people can send their content digitally and  have it produced in paper form on the Island for those that want it.

Rather than bringing it in physical form by air or sea.

But what do I know? ( awaits nonsense and ridicule from the usual suspects)

What a load of nonsense that deserves ridicule.

The paper has to be imported in the first place so you might as well import it with words and stuff already printed on it.

Simples...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The paper has to be imported in the first place so you might as well import it with words and stuff already printed on it.

Simples...

Think VOR is talking about taking out the vulnerability of the papers to boat cancellations rather than reducing the transportation of the paper. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Think VOR is talking about taking out the vulnerability of the papers to boat cancellations rather than reducing the transportation of the paper. 

I agree with your assessment. It's still a crazy idea though. 😃

• Like 2

@The Voice of Reason

This was your question:

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve often wondered why there isn’t some sort of paper mill type thing here whereby the newspaper people can send their content digitally and  have it produced in paper form on the Island for those that want it.

This was my answer:

59 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Simples...

Bearing in mind that newspapers are mass-produced and the fact that the island lacks critical mass shipping the finished article across is bound to be the most profitable way of doing it.

I used to use the term "cost effective" but I've dropped that in favour of telling the truth...

Release your mind son. Imagine a Fax machine (*sniggers*) but a bit bigger and technology 30 years newer. Back of the shop, not at home.

Yes, expensive on ink, expensive on paper. Economies of scale and all that, but able to print a hardcopy newspaper on demand.

Of course the current digital copy could be printed from anyone's laptop, but that isn't the point.

Take a look at WH Smith and Spar for example. You'll surprise yourself. All those newspapers for sale, oh and all those magazines. Books too. But aye, in your world, no call for all that.

A bit off topic, but some will remember the world of the 'paperless office'. Fuck me, our office has never used so much paper than it does now. And we've been using email since 1995.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@The Voice of Reason

This was your question:

This was my answer:

Bearing in mind that newspapers are mass-produced and the fact that the island lacks critical mass shipping the finished article across is bound to be the most profitable way of doing it.

I used to use the term "cost effective" but I've dropped that in favour of telling the truth...

Actually I think you’ll find my suggestion is more cost effective. 
For example you get economies of scale by having one big delivery of paper to be held in stock to be used as and when required rather than having to make daily deliveries. 
Together with the associated costs. Fuel, drivers wages vehicle maintenance etc

Sometimes you need to be able to think outside the box.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@The Voice of Reason

This was your question:

This was my answer:

Still missing the point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Actually I think you’ll find my suggestion is more cost effective. 
For example you get economies of scale by having one big delivery of paper to be held in stock to be used as and when required rather than having to make daily deliveries. 
Together with the associated costs. Fuel, drivers wages vehicle maintenance etc

Sometimes you need to be able to think outside the box.

I think you are missing the point..  there used to be a printing press on the Isle of Man but it was shutdown as it wasn't cost effective. 

It was felt cheaper and more cost effective to print them in the UK and ship them over.

The printing press on the Island had 3 or 4 people to run it.  Two or three people to move the printed papers around and about 15 people to collate the papers.

The numbers varied depending on which paper it was.  The Courier was always the most demanding as a copy was printed for every household.

The Independent and Examiner were not so demanding and were smaller print runs but would still need around 12 people.

To remove more people you would need a larger printing press which takes up more room and is more expensive to run and maintain.  Doesn't make much sense for the amount of use it would get.

They also had to import the reams of paper so there wasn't much of a cost saving.  If it is done on weight then the finished papers are much lighter and easier to transport. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I think you are missing the point..  there used to be a printing press on the Isle of Man but it was shutdown as it wasn't cost effective. 

It was felt cheaper and more cost effective to print them in the UK and ship them over.

The printing press on the Island had 3 or 4 people to run it.  Two or three people to move the printed papers around and about 15 people to collate the papers.

The numbers varied depending on which paper it was.  The Courier was always the most demanding as a copy was printed for every household.

The Independent and Examiner were not so demanding and were smaller print runs but would still need around 12 people.

To remove more people you would need a larger printing press which takes up more room and is more expensive to run and maintain.  Doesn't make much sense for the amount of use it would get.

They also had to import the reams of paper so there wasn't much of a cost saving.  If it is done on weight then the finished papers are much lighter and easier to transport. 

With respect it is you who is missing the point.

From what you have written it seems that the printing press of which you speak only printed the local papers.

If it was used to print the UK National papers via a digital feed then you would get gain economies of scale.

Furthermore, as Gladys has alluded to it would avoid the possibility of newspapers not arriving on the Island, either by boat or plane, because of problems with the weather, mechanical issues, traffic problems across etc, etc

Whether it would be economic to recalibrate or reset the machinery to facilitate the printing of a solitary copy of the Guardian for your mate to read is a different matter. I’ll grant you that.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

With respect it is you who is missing the point.

From what you have written it seems that the printing press of which you speak only printed the local papers.

If it was used to print the UK National papers via a digital feed then you would get gain economies of scale.

Furthermore, as Gladys has alluded to it would avoid the possibility of newspapers not arriving on the Island, either by boat or plane, because of problems with the weather, mechanical issues, traffic problems across etc, etc

Whether it would be economic to recalibrate or reset the machinery to facilitate the printing of a solitary copy of the Guardian for your mate to read is a different matter. I’ll grant you that.

The press was to small to cope with printing copies of the UK papers as well (especially on a daily basis).

They would have needed a huge investment in a new press hall and printing press.

They would have needed to import even more reels of paper as well.

It is much more economical to print on the existing large presses in the UK and then transport them to the Island.

The times when you can't get a paper doesn't bother the owners as the market here is too small for them to care.