No Sunday Newspapers (again)!

Max Power

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I don't buy a Sunday paper so no, I'm not bothered. What I am bothered about is the way that this kind of thing is becoming a regular feature of the services which the SPCo are providing. Surely, if this is happening every month, suddenly, then there should be some onus on the company to provide alternative arrangements for the transport of daily essentials? Since going into government ownership, they seem to have adopted the CS 'kiss my ass' mindset too!  

Not quite sure why you are surprised by this 

The SP problems do seem to be many at the moment. They may sort out over time but we are a 'want it now' society and will view these probs as a major failure and as a Govt owned mes, well..............

I don't buy any papers but understand that many people regard the Sunday edition as something 'special'!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The SP problems do seem to be many at the moment. They may sort out over time but we are a 'want it now' society and will view these probs as a major failure and as a Govt owned mes, well..............

I don't buy any papers but understand that many people regard the Sunday edition as something 'special'!

Our transport links that we have become accustomed to are deteriorating due to shrinking economics and some questionable procurement decisions. Plus increasingly onerous H&S observations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve often wondered why there isn’t some sort of paper mill type thing here whereby the newspaper people can send their content digitally and  have it produced in paper form on the Island for those that want it.

Rather than bringing it in physical form by air or sea.

But what do I know? ( awaits nonsense and ridicule from the usual suspects)

That's a super idea. And it's crazy how all the unsold papers get bundled up and collected by GE Whites.

A simple machine: put you couple of quid in, select your newspaper, and Hey Presto! printed out for you.

I get pissed off that I can't buy the Manx Independent on a Wednesday as Spar on Strand Street has returned them, because the paper comes out the following day. A machine thingy would be able to print any past paper if so required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve often wondered why there isn’t some sort of paper mill type thing here whereby the newspaper people can send their content digitally and  have it produced in paper form on the Island for those that want it.

Rather than bringing it in physical form by air or sea.

But what do I know? ( awaits nonsense and ridicule from the usual suspects)

Like the one that was built on Peel Road and no longer used

• Like 1

It's a regular thing the boat stays in one Saturday night nearly every month known in advance gives the chance to do jobs that can't be done in the 2 hours the boat stops otherwise.  4 trips a day doesnt leave much time to sort stuff. Ben did the same thing think Whites just don't want to pay for a plane.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lowell thurber said:

It's a regular thing the boat stays in one Saturday night nearly every month known in advance gives the chance to do jobs that can't be done in the 2 hours the boat stops otherwise.  4 trips a day doesnt leave much time to sort stuff. Ben did the same thing think Whites just don't want to pay for a plane.

Just came post similar. It's been this way for years but they used to pay for a plane. No one with any sense reads the paper anymore anyway when everything is available online.

4 hours ago, finlo said:

I used to love watching the Courier being printed on a Thursday night when I was a nipper!

I used to love watching our cat shitting on it on a Friday night. It saved on the expense of cat litter. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Didn’t know about that. So the UK papers were printed there? Why did that stop? 

All local although apparently had ability to print others, that’s the big building at Pully bridge opposite 24 hour garage 

6 hours ago, Primator said:

I used to love watching our cat shitting on it on a Friday night. It saved on the expense of cat litter. 

I light the fire with it, but not before giving it a quick read through. I bet you do too.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Didn’t know about that. So the UK papers were printed there? Why did that stop? 

2 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

All local although apparently had ability to print others, that’s the big building at Pully bridge opposite 24 hour garage 

It was the Manx Papers (Courier, Independent and Examiner) that were printed there and the press itself was small.  The newspapers often had to be printed in two sections and then manually collated.

They would not have been able to cope with printing UK newspapers as well.

A paper mill would not work on the Island either.  It would be too expensive with no market.