Protestors outside Micro Gaming

Exocet

30 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

We haven’t got an army ….apart from that….😑

Maybe that's the problem.  Wonder if the Civil Service would carry on their cancerous/virus-like growth if there was a Manx Militia ready to storm the Wedding Cake? 

I'll volunteer to wear the Buffalo Horns Hat.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

There are people with severe gambling issues on island, as there are elsewhere. I went to a charity presentation about 6 years ago on the subject and even then there were nearly 200 people with a serious addiction here (lost houses, spouses, life down the pan etc.). 

There will always be a balance: people pushing for tighter regulation and companies pushing for more customers.

Same as with the tobacco and booze industries. You can't have outright bans for a minority of weak minded people, all you can do is get the balance right to try and filter them out the system before they run into trouble - and that's the way gambling legislation is pushing hard these days.

Even insurance is gambling - you bet you are going to crash your car - they calculate and take the bet - and hope you don't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There are people with severe gambling issues on island, as there are elsewhere. I went to a charity presentation about 6 years ago on the subject and even then there were nearly 200 people with a serious addiction here (lost houses, spouses, life down the pan etc.). 

There will always be a balance: people pushing for tighter regulation and companies pushing for more customers.

Same as with the tobacco and booze industries. You can't have outright bans for a minority of weak minded people, all you can do is get the balance right to try and filter them out the system before they run into trouble - and that's the way gambling legislation is pushing hard these days.

Even insurance is gambling - you bet you are going to crash your car - they calculate and take the bet - and hope you don't.

The point I was making, that @teapot missed was that it doesn't matter where the gambling is processed. It's invisible to the gambler.  We could of course be righteous and kick it all of island but

1. It wouldn't make a difference and

2 We would be broke. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The point I was making, that @teapot missed was that it doesn't matter where the gambling is processed. It's invisible to the gambler.  We could of course be righteous and kick it all of island but

1. It wouldn't make a difference and

2 We would be broke. 

We are broke!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Possibly the weakest defence of the gambling industry I've ever read 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The insurance industry would dispute that because insurance is based on indemnity, ie to put you back in the position you were in before the loss, not to profit.  There is an anomaly with life assurance which are not contracts of indemnity.  Note the difference in the name, you are assured of receiving the insured sum in the event of your death, subject to the policy terms. 

• Like 2