Protestors outside Micro Gaming

Exocet

3 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

Do you have to do a professional protest in the IOM when protesting against a greedy multi billion pound industry? Perhaps spend £500 on some nice sign written placards or maybe get a mate to run them off on the laser printed in a nice typeface? Would the protest have been any more effective if people would have paid a little more attention to presentation? 

Yes, it lends credence to your position and that you are serious. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

Do you have to do a professional protest in the IOM when protesting against a greedy multi billion pound industry? Perhaps spend £500 on some nice sign written placards or maybe get a mate to run them off on the laser printed in a nice typeface? Would the protest have been any more effective if people would have paid a little more attention to presentation? 

image.png.ef86d596fa90a60af93108f6d2b5ee33.png

• Like 1

Good on them for getting off the couch for something they feel strongly about: https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw5z6knx720o

Thing is, and I never thought I'd say this, BM is right. People will always gamble and the IOM has one of the safest frameworks for it. The aim of the GSC is to protect players and keep gambling crime free. I do suspect well meaning individuals like them have limited visibility of this industry. An industry that is not without problems or flaws, but what do they actually want? People to stop gambling completely? Never gonna happen. The IOM to give up its one consistent economic success story for the last twenty plus years, at a time when we are indeed the best jurisdiction in our field worldwide and hoovering up business? Sure, but then give an alternative and also lay out how you will prevent any of the other jurisdictions from taking our place, because they will and are already trying.

Some of the comments are also a bit ?

"But Mr Craine said more needed to be done and called for the Gambling Supervision Commission (GSC) to use "their powers more" to encourage minimum stakes." So he wants minimum stakes (and people to gamble more) or maybe this is bad reporting and he meant stake limits?

"Protestor Robert Riding said gambling was "accessible to everyone via their mobile phones", which meant it was "destructive worldwide"." IOM rules ringfence player money, ensure the offering is fair, and require operators to have tools such as stake limits and self exclusion available. That's more than many other jurisdictions require. Would he prefer people gamble with unlicensed operators? Because, again, they will always gamble.

"Fellow campaigner Deborah Taubman said gambling sent the "wrong message to society" and left people "chasing after something that's not going to bring any satisfaction"." That's simply not the case. Gambling is a legitimate source of entertainment, just as going to the pub is, or doing any kind of sport to get your kicks. Just like a number of people who go to the pub will develop an issue with alcohol, a number of people will develop issues with gambling. Ultimately, it's an adult activity and we can only try and make it as safe as possible. Which the IOM is doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Ultimately, it's an adult activity

See, this point here is important. I can dislike the gambling industry all I want (and personally don't have anything to do with it), but the fact is its for adults to make their own choices. Like drinking, or smoking, or eating too many takeaways.

I fucking hate puritans.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, P.K. said:

I recall a newspaper article that went:

"To some people gambling is a disease.

"That makes the Isle of Man a nasty little pool of infection in the Irish Sea"

Although how you can have a pool in a sea was never explained...

I'll have a go. A pool can be the collective amount of players' stakes in gambling or sweepstakes. A kitty if you like. In the sea.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

See, this point here is important. I can dislike the gambling industry all I want (and personally don't have anything to do with it), but the fact is its for adults to make their own choices. Like drinking, or smoking, or eating too many takeaways.

I fucking hate puritans.

Aye but it's still sad that the Island has gone cap in hand to such a cynical industry. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I'll have a go. A pool can be the collective amount of players' stakes in gambling or sweepstakes. A kitty if you like. In the sea.  

Kitty's hate the sea. 

A petri dish of infection floating in the Irish Sea. Would meet PK's needs. 

The "people would still gamble if we didn't facilitate it" argument is utter piss by the way. A lame attempt to absolve ourselves of responsibility of the harms gambling causes. Feel free to apply the same argument to people trafficking, murder for hire, etc etc.

Adults should be free to gamble if they so wish (with plenty of controls and help available to mitigate the risk for those who struggle with addiction), but acting like we have no moral responsibility for people's wellbeing because "well, they'd do it anyway if it wasn't with us!" is tosh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1