Middle earners getting stung again

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I ask again, does this apply to vehicles necessarily provided to do the job?  They are not a benefit in kind but a tool. 

Yes it does, if they are also used for personal use in which case they are part of your package.

1 minute ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Yes it does, if they are also used for personal use in which case they are part of your package.

Perhaps someone with tax or accounting knowledge can help, but if a vehicle is predominantly provided to do your job but you also have personal use, presumably there is a pro rata benefit in kind applied. 

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps someone with tax or accounting knowledge can help, but if a vehicle is predominantly provided to do your job but you also have personal use, presumably there is a pro rata benefit in kind applied. 

This is what the whole thread is about.

The amounts of extra tax have just been bumped by a large amount, so people in that situation are paying a lot more tax through no fault of their own.

Hundreds, if not thousands of pounds a year.

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Isn't it pegged to rates set by Treasury as being reasonable reimbursement rather than a benefit in kind? 

change the name and its all ok  , some people were making decent money at that game.

9 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

It clearly takes someone much more cleverer than me to understand the logic behind this.  Does anyone want to enlighten me?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/benefit-in-kind-tax-changes-take-effect

Screenshot_20220820-110815_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220726-150316_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

Well it mainly impacts cars which are environmentally unfriendly and those using them will pay more, personally I always took the cash equivalent and bought my own car paying tax on the cash element 

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well it mainly impacts cars which are environmentally unfriendly and those using them will pay more, personally I always took the cash equivalent and bought my own car paying tax on the cash element 

No it doesn’t.  A car that does 50-60 mpg can leave someone over a grand worse off than they were last week and in a situation where they can’t actually do anything about it.

1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

No it doesn’t.  A car that does 50-60 mpg can leave someone over a grand worse off than they were last week and in a situation where they can’t actually do anything about it.

Still a lot cheaper than buying your own car for personal use, not sure what the problem is.

47 minutes ago, Banker said:

Still a lot cheaper than buying your own car for personal use, not sure what the problem is.

You don”t see a problem with one small section of the working population seeing a thousand pound or more tax increase that they can’t do anything about, at zero notice and which isn’t being applied to anyone else?

Ok then.  Reeks of “I’m alright Jack” to me.