Recycling

misslippers

<_< what do u think about this new recycling scheme around governors hill? I think it is a brilliant idea, just think how much waste it will take out of your wheelie bin! I know in mine it will make a big difference. My wheelie bin gets emptied on a Wednesday and usually by Thursday morning it is full again! If I take out all the recycle stuff I could get another couple of days out of it. Sorry I know that I put this in the wrong place(Leisure & Sport) but I am new to this -and u might come across it by accident.

It's an excellent idea in principle, and one that's been successful in many parts of the world. It is, of course, dependent on the willingness of people to sort their rubbish and it would probably have to be made compulsory before any real success became likely.

Also, would the Examiner, Manx Independent and Courier be classed as papers - or are they just rubbish? :unsure:

Also, would the Examiner, Manx Independent and Courier be classed as papers - or are they just rubbish?  :unsure:

Now, that's an easy question...

And once again, the Germans were there first - or at least me: Click for old recycling thread

It would be great to see some improvement regarding this over here, no doubt..

Well, once I'm CM, it will be made compulsory!

Im currently in Amadeus`s fair country.... and they get EURO back when they return empty plastic bottles....  and in my own opinion, Germany (hamburg) is  so clean and people have respect for one another and for everything.  I have never ever met an unfriendly german YET or seen any one drop any litter. On the island however, it is a daily occurance for me to witness such nasties

Which will make me sad to come back to the grotty England and more disrespectful Island.

lol, they have even begun to charge for water as we do here for gas.  As fars as we are concerned... We really dont have a clue.

The UK charges for water I believe. Also, water is included in our rates over here isn't it?

Never been to Hamburg, been to Cologne and Dusseldorf though, Cologne is pretty damn pleasant to say the least.

:)

I think recycling is a great idea and i hope it really takes off.If its successful and it comes to ramsey i will definetly start recycling!

You can recycle certain things already. There are bins in the Shoprite carpark for glass, tins, paper & clothes (might be more, that's all I can remember off the top of my head).

You can recycle certain things already. There are bins in the Shoprite carpark for glass, tins, paper & clothes (might be more, that's all I can remember off the top of my head).

- There are recycling bins around the place - but I think it's a good thing that it is being picked up with your "normal" refuse collection. (Not everyone has transport to get to the recycling bins).

- I hope the trial is a success and be used all over the Island- I'm up in Governors Hill & will be more than happy to sort out the different bins for different materials.

- Have also spent quite a bit of time in Germany - there were separate bins provided for glass/metals/other houehold waste - that's just a "normal" part of everyday life out there.

Now it might sound cynical or it could just be the consipiracist in me, but if we get to a point where all of the Islands waste paper is recycled, then wouldn't this screw up the operation of the incinerator (wasted energy plant!) - from what I've heard this thing is barely functioning properly (to capacity) as it is.

- I've also heard it's very, very smelly down there due to the animal waste coming from the abbatoir (that can be left outside for weeks).....

I think it's fantastic that they are at least attempting a kerbside collectoin of recyclables, and really hope it is a success.

Well anything is better than nowt.

I would like to see the schemes they have in the uk where you can hire a bin for about £20 for spring/summer and you put all your compostable waste in it and they come and collect it once a week.

This waste is then turned into compost and sold to gardeners and local companies.

This is another great way to do your bit.

http://www.harrywest.co.uk/Machinery/compo...lfpropelled.htm

Great idea, I'm sick of having to stick my recycling item by item into the recycling bins as the powers that be have locked them so you can't tip a bin bag full in anymore.

Can't not recycle either (not that I wouldn't) as we live in an area the wheelie bin wagons can't get to, so still have to use bin bags - meaning we can't fit in as much as wheelie bins are intended for.

As we also compost all our green waste and burn anything burnable along with recycling glass newspaper and cans and still have xxxxloads of rubbish, I wonder how anyone manages with only one bin who doesn't recycle.

Re: water rates, we should be charged for usage. Maybe that way I wouldn't be paying nigh on £400 per year for a (commercial) premises with only one tap and one toilet!

Completely agree with you on the recycling bins Alex. I used to recycle everything I could. Saving my cans and bottles until I had a bag or two full then tipping them into the recycling bins. Since DLGE have made it even harder to recycle by locking the bins and making us stand for 5 mins putting a can at a time through the hole I have given up. Completely against my wishes but until kerbside collection is Island wide or they unlock the bins I am afraid the precious aluminium is now going to the incinerator.

I'm quite cheesed off by the amount of plastic packaging we have with everything now, milk especially - it must cost a fortune to bring all the 1/2/4 pint plastic jugs over on the steam packet, then they all end up in the incinerator.

(I remember as a kid we had milk delivered at the door in glass bottles, that were rinsed and left at the doorsetp the following day for refilling) - does anyone know how the price compares with this kind of delivery system compared to paying of the transport of plastic jugs that just get dumped?

I think the Irish are moving in the right direction, with their taxes on carrier bags - if the government here are "serious" about environmental issues they should adopt this policy - also some sort of a "pollution tax" so companies like M&S and IOM Creameries and anyone who uses excess plastic packaging would be forced to find some more environmentally friendly alternative.

Many of the "cofee shops" (big chains, not just the ones over here) are using paper bags for carrying your "paper cups") rather than using plastic (ok the cup lids are plastic but at least they're making an effort).

- My two penneth worth!!!

Before I moved back, I lived in the London Borough of Sutton which had a fantastic recycling programme. You had two wheely bins about half the size of ours, a brown one and a green one. The brown one was for non-recyclable stuff (kitchen waste etc) and the green was for recyclable stuff. Just about everything could go in there; newspaper, cardboard, tins, bottles, plastic containers (recyclable but rinsed out) etc. etc. They were collected in alternate weeks, one week was green the other brown.

At first there was absolute uproar about bins being left unemptied and how this would encourage foxes etc. but it actually worked very well. How the recyclable stuff was sorted I never found out, but it was one of the best schemes I have come across. It takes very little thought to divide your waste in this way and as you didn't have to separate the recycling, just shove it in the right bin it was so easy!

I know LBS probably had access to better recycling facilities, but I have often thought how easy this was. In fact, the recycling bin filled up quicker than the other, but it didn't matter as there was nothing in there that would smell or encourage rodents.

Back home we have a blue bin for paper, a brown bin for gardening stuff, a black box for cans and bottles and a green bin for anything else. You have to wash out all your cans and take the labels of them before you put them in the box. Frankly I think its a pain in the arse having to sort out your rubbish before you can bin it and Im glad to have only 1 bin over here.

A lot of the problem, as Matty suggested, comes from the amount of packaging on the stuff we buy.

How would it be if, after paying for our goods at the checkout, we started removing all the packaging that wasn't needed and left it for the supermarkets to dispose of?

Archived