TYNWALD question paper April 16th

Moghrey Mie

Chris Thomas is obsessed with the Steam Packet it is a Company owned by the Manx tax payers and run at arms length, why he needs to know how many sea gulls follow it as it leaves the pier is anyone’s guess.   As for Moorhouse, he probably had a couple of really good questions amongst all the dross that accompanied them but they get hidden, Beecroft used to do the same never shut up so people just zoned out as soon as she stood up.   

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Chris Thomas is obsessed with the Steam Packet it is a Company owned by the Manx tax payers and run at arms length, why he needs to know how many sea gulls follow it as it leaves the pier is anyone’s guess.   As for Moorhouse, he probably had a couple of really good questions amongst all the dross that accompanied them but they get hidden, Beecroft used to do the same never shut up so people just zoned out as soon as she stood up.   

I think there is a problem because the IOM Steam Packet was not included in the list of publicly owned companies when they drew it up in 2015 when they brought in Freedom of Information. A basic drafting mistake I suppose - not allowing for future events. 

Just because it is 'at arms length' shouldn't mean we can't find out what it's up to. The same applies to the Manx Development Corporation, I suppose.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I think there is a problem because the IOM Steam Packet was not included in the list of publicly owned companies when they drew it up in 2015 when they brought in Freedom of Information. A basic drafting mistake I suppose - not allowing for future events. 

Just because it is 'at arms length' shouldn't mean we can't find out what it's up to. The same applies to the Manx Development Corporation, I suppose.

It is odd how many (mostly technical) questions he asks about the Steam Packet though. He used to at least have some questions around housing policy etc, but now it's pretty much solely Steam Packet & Crogga. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What is 'the proposed Island Campus'? (Q20)

It must be this one:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/proposals-to-create-island-campus-unveiled/#:~:text=Plans have been unveiled to develop an ‘Island,to increase the number of economically active residents.

Our 15-year plans are much better value than the old USSR 5-year plans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

Thanks. I did start reading some of that KPMG report once but gave up.

The economic strategy bit in the separate VAT overhaul article in there is interesting, "The additional 700 people who have been employed since the strategy was in place".

Exactly tallies with the 700 increase in civil servants...though omits the extra 50 HR needed to look after them.

Screenshot_20240410-204521_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Thanks 2

Thomas is likely to see correspondence and minutes etc. that we will never see. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt  on this one for now.

As for backbenchers working together. Well, you get to 13 and you suddenly have a majority. Things can change rapidly with a majority.

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Thomas is likely to see correspondence and minutes etc. that we will never see. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt  on this one for now.

As for backbenchers working together. Well, you get to 13 and you suddenly have a majority. Things can change rapidly with a majority.

Only in Keys - not a majority in Tynwald. 

20 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Thats the whole point of being arms length, so we can not find out what they are up to