The easy option

12 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Notwithstanding I'm on a police pension, which was well contributed to, the money some senior CS retirees are drawing is mind boggling 

Early retirement from any public sector role should be much more heavily taxed.

Early = ahead of the state retirement age.

The CS pensions legacy is a mess, and could take 3 decades to get over. But there needs to be reform. The key issue is the size of the entity, and 'grade inflation'. In the latter case, I'd say the police with what, five superintendents, is perhaps needing a look at that too historically managed with one. The law has pushed a lot of statutory responsibility down to Inspector.

90 grand a year, and on retirement that's 45 grand a year and a 400 grand lump sum. Whilst the cops will be paying nearly 15% in to that I wonder what an equivalent CS Salary Draws? 

And I can remember Eddie Teare telling the non-Govt unwashed masses that a pension wasn't a replacement for income....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Here's a better idea @Derek Flint

Phase out all public sector pensions. Nothing to stop people from getting themselves a private pension.

It's a reasonable argument.

I've a couple of private pensions. What I will say is they are too bloody complicated.

Maybe a 'national' system would be better

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:59 AM, genericUserName said:

Early retirement from any public sector role should be much more heavily taxed.

Early = ahead of the state retirement age.

Policemen at 67 years old? That will be fun. Dad's police force? Could be an idea for a comedy programme 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Policemen at 67 years old? That will be fun. Dad's police force? Could be an idea for a comedy programme 

you want to spend some time in Florida ,not unusual to see  a 60 plus policeman , they are always well mannered , very helpful  and very much in touch with whats going on in their local community ,and people have respect for someone who comes over as a caring father figure with life  or ex military skills 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Frost and Vera? Dixon of Dock Green? All very effective well past retirement age... And when they're too old for that, USA needs a new president.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Frost and Vera? Dixon of Dock Green? All very effective well past retirement age... And when they're too old for that, USA needs a new president.

Errrr. I don't want to shatter you illusions, but they are not real police officers😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Plenty of 60+ police in Switzerland. They take pride in keeping themselves fit. Any who can no longer be on patrol work in the station, generally customer-facing.

There's no excuse for being a fat slob.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

And more than a few of that build who are within the serving age...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Plenty of 60+ police in Switzerland. They take pride in keeping themselves fit. Any who can no longer be on patrol work in the station, generally customer-facing.

Who said they were fat. I was thinking more that a 67 year old man (or woman) is not going to cut it arresting 19 year olds at 2am on a Sunday morning..

On 4/13/2024 at 7:03 PM, Happier diner said:

Who said they were fat. I was thinking more that a 67 year old man (or woman) is not going to cut it arresting 19 year olds at 2am on a Sunday morning..

There are plenty of other useful roles they can perform.

Early retirement from all public sector roles should be abolished. People always whine about the CS - but the fact is that the problem is much wider. Doctors too.

Early retirement from the private sector should be discouraged too. Especially given the shortage of labour. The tax system could be used as a deterrent. 

18 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Early retirement from all public sector roles should be abolished. People always whine about the CS - but the fact is that the problem is much wider. Doctors too.

Early retirement from the private sector should be discouraged too. Especially given the shortage of labour. The tax system could be used as a deterrent

I see where you’re going with this - just abolish retirement as a concept, make people work until they drop: back to the Victorian age kinda thing?   That’ll do the trick…