Government: 'We recognise it's a very challenging time for hospitality'

Barlow

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-we-recognise-its-a-very-challenging-time-for-hospitality/

The only hospitality that Isle of Man Government is interested in would appear to be very late night boozers and drugs with a bit of late night/early morning violence thrown in. Such as Jaks and 1886.

It's called being 'Vibrant'.

Fucking vibrant my arse.

The Isle of Man hospitality sector is well and truly fucked, apart from the above, they are well raking it in. Let's all get tanked up on cheap booze, take a line and go disco dancing down the town. Maybe even get a wee punch up to watch or join in ion if we're lucky.

The Isle of Man - Where You Can

VAT is probably the one thing they can't change.  It's set by the UK Govt and we just agree.  If we change it, then bye-bye VAT share. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

VAT is probably the one thing they can't change.  It's set by the UK Govt and we just agree.  If we change it, then bye-bye VAT share. 

there was a time when local eat in hospitality   dog grooming, hairdressing ,  taxi fares     (non exportable rates ) were as low as 5%  problem is things are so bad now government is desperate for the money  someone in Treasury should have been arguing  the case  for these  non exporting small businesses ,I understand some smaller  European  countries have   fought for exemptions these these small businesses , but I cant see us getting anywhere  with this as the UK are a skint as we are 

The hospitality industry is struggling in many countries. Why has it suddenly become the governments fault? 

If the industry is not sustainable because they can't get staff, they need to rethink how they run their businesses. I sympathise with them absolute, but other than getting some slave ships, what could the government do. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The hospitality industry is struggling in many countries. Why has it suddenly become the governments fault? 

If the industry is not sustainable because they can't get staff, they need to rethink how they run their businesses. I sympathise with them absolute, but other than getting some slave ships, what could the government do. 

Nothing to do then with most potential customers having all their disposable income diverted into government coffers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

IOMG via DEFA and other bodies have been running a competition, called the Manx Menu. An idea to promote local eateries/hospitality and local food producers. but certainly not a total solution. In a way, it’s subjective, especially when you have IOMG involved, as civil servants could easily manipulate any results from surveys/questionnaires to suit their poster boys/girls businesses. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 2112 said:

IOMG via DEFA and other bodies have been running a competition, called the Manx Menu. An idea to promote local eateries/hospitality and local food producers. but certainly not a total solution. In a way, it’s subjective, especially when you have IOMG involved, as civil servants could easily manipulate any results from surveys/questionnaires to suit their poster boys/girls businesses. 

Utter bollocks, boatyard won because it had a great menu and the food is fantastic, why don’t you go & support hospitality instead of constantly whining that government should be Doing more .

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 5:59 PM, Happier diner said:

2 hours ago, display name said:

It hasn't. That woman has been moaning about them since taking on the wrong property

The tourism industry cannot flourish without the hospitality industry, etc., etc i.e. a negative domino effect. According to The Tea Junction “the prosperous days are becoming sparse”...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/the-tea-junction-to-close-in-2025/

Rising cost of living/ cost of doing business caused these problems and it is up to the Government to solve them, because the IOMG has overall responsibility for the IOM economy.

Edited by code99
clarification
  • Like 1

Restaurants are feeling the pinch, largely because of gas and electricity I would guess, although wages, rates, etc also play a part so what do they do to exist they increase prices , punters cut down on eating out as they cannot afford it….vicious circle.   The lady who is complaining that she cannot attract staff should realise that her premises are not in a very desirable catchment area, you would have to have transport for a start .    There is no way the VAT rate can be altered by our Government I would have thought that was common knowledge.

• Like 4