Government: 'We recognise it's a very challenging time for hospitality'

Barlow

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I was in a small town in Belgium last week, Tielt. We had a couple of meals in a cafe/bar, one of which was Spaghetti Bolognese. It was well presented, served professionally and was substantial and tasty. 15 Euros.

Flash forward to this week in a well respected local restaurant, same dish, half as much in quantity, sloppy, unattractive and spaghetti had been replaced by fuselli, £15 as part of a £20 lunch menu, tasted ok mind you. Service wasn't bad but nothing special. 

We either have to accept that we are crap at most things, or make an effort to be better and stop moaning. The Belgian cafe was family run, quite busy but the staff were very friendly and clearly enjoyed giving service. I don't think we have that mindset on the island, nor in Britain if the truth be told, we just don't have a service culture and seem to judge those who serve as being minions rather than professionals.   

I have always found Belgium to be a very expensive place to eat out. 

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I have always found Belgium to be a very expensive place to eat out. 

It depends where you go I guess, but British and Manx prices have been soaring for raw ingredients as the Brexit benefits are felt.

I am on holiday at the moment. Today I drove to an area with good views along the coast, and several restaurants.

It is popular with both tourists and locals. The area was packed with cars - it was difficult to find somewhere park. At one restaurant as someone drove out of the car park, someone driving by drove in. I got lucky.

There was effectively a queue for the restaurants. The restaurants are there because there was trade to be had - in some respects, an excess of trade.

If coffee bars and restaurants on the IoM are closing down, it is because there is not enough trade.

I think the IoM has too many coffee bars and restaurants. If restaurants cannot survive while paying standard wages and standard taxes, they are not viable.

[But an espresso here is 1.2 euro - probably cheaper than at home]

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How?

Put more money back into people's pockets by reducing taxes and charges, i.e. disposable income. 

This will require government to reduce expenditure on itself, to include numbers, salaries and benefits to include superannuation.

This is what we elect representatives to do when required. Unfortunately, cojone removal on election has been a requirement for the last 25 years.

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Energising, enabling, granting, cutting costs, investing?

But not interfering?

Not sure where you are coming from Derek.

See below

14 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

I see the minister, small m. Was on the radio a day or so ago saying that starship enterprise will "offer advice to any business in the hospitality sector to help them"

I am not in that sector             but WTAF

What business person is going to DFE to get advice on how to run their business?

FFS. Someone get a grip on the rock, how that minister could say that with a straight face beggars belief.

Business owners have described it to me as 'passive resistance' - you are always working in an environment which says 'here to help' but the truth is far different 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Put more money back into people's pockets by reducing taxes and charges, i.e. disposable income. 

This will require government to reduce expenditure on itself, to include numbers, salaries and benefits to include superannuation.

This is what we elect representatives to do when required. Unfortunately, cojone removal on election has been a requirement for the last 25 years.

I get what you are saying and yes government does waste a lot on money. However taxes and charges are still low compared to other justifications and there are plenty of successful businesses on the Isle of Man (including hospitality). So the reason any business that is failing must be in at least a large part either due to poor practice or a lack of potential for that business. 

Far to many restaurants/coffee shops/eateries on the island, for the amount of people. Moved here in 1992, something like 75/80,000 residents, about 20, 30 eateries (just a guess), and coffee shops were unheard of. Fast forward 32 years. Similar amount of residents, but hundreds of restaurants/coffee shops/eateries. The infrastructure to support so many places is not there. Places will continue struggling with ever-rising prices (supplies, ingredients, rents, rates, electricity, gas ALL going up a lot lately), while people cut down on going out, because their bills have risen too. Double edged sword. Unfortunately, more places will shut down, one part of many things throwing the island backwards.