Government: 'We recognise it's a very challenging time for hospitality'

Barlow

Perhaps on a nice day Derek but with the rain and wind we have enjoyed lately not so much.   As I have said the bad days and uncertainty of whether the road is open further along the mountain takes all the financial joy out of the good days.   I truly wish this venture well I have heard nothing but good about it perhaps if it were seasonal it would be more profitable.    As for subsidising the many overpriced coffee shops No Way .

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There will always be businesses of different standards, that's part of the make-up of the economy. But the situation that is now being imposed is not about being "good enough". It's about being financially strong enough to deal with new, imposed circumstances.

If you take it to extreme examples, it's like sacrificing small businesses because only global multi-nationals are big, rich and strong enough to survive. Is that the sort of economy we want?

Many of these small businesses may still be "good enough". But they cannot survive what Govt are throwing at them because they are not (and may not wish to be) of the scale that is now required to survive.

That is not a healthy economy.

Even Bernard Moffett has posted that subsidies for hospitality shouldn’t happen, the good ones will survive the poor will shut, it’s always been the case and always will. I don’t agree with much of what he says but he’s definitely right about this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What solutions would you provide if you were in government. Rabbit out of hat? Magic money tree? 

I'm not in government so not my job to provide solutions, I'd rather they just kept quiet to be honest.

The key to hospitality is continual change. You have to appeal to your customers. If you have a great product, people will pay for it. Look at McDonalds, for example. Compared with when they opened over here, there are a few things on the menu that are stalwarts, like the Big Mac. Most other things have changed. New, lighter options offered. Unpopular items removed. New specials being offered and changed regularly. Love it or hate it, it is a brilliant format that works. Several other places such as JAKS and 1886 offer great food and are successful. There are loads of other great places to eat. The ones whinging are the ones who need to change. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

JAKS ... offer great food

Based in my one experience of eating there I would disagree.

I ordered rare steak one lunchtime last year. What I got was a cold and slightly burned steak. It tasted burned. Served with cold brown chips. Garnished with some brown salad.

I was surprised because people had told me that it was good.

Edited by genericUserName

On 4/13/2024 at 6:39 PM, thommo2010 said:

The government always come out with we know people/businesses are struggling but then never seem to provide any solutions 

It's not the job of government to help people run businesses.

Hospitality is struggling in the rest of Britain too. Thanks to Brexit it is increasingly difficult to find decent staff. Britain is in decline. The people voted to make everything shit. 

Edited by genericUserName

2 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Thanks to Brexit it is increasingly difficult to find decent staff. Britain is in decline. 

yes, there's no cheap foreign labour with a great work ethic to take advantage of.

Just now, WTF said:

yes, there's no cheap foreign labour with a great work ethic to take advantage of.

I don't believe that is was ever really about cheap labour. But yes - work ethic is always an issue.

People need to be smart and friendly and presentable and bright. That is never about training.

21 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

It's not the job of government to help people run businesses.

Hospitality is struggling in the rest of Britain too. Thanks to Brexit it is increasingly difficult to find decent staff. Britain is in decline. The people voted to make everything shit. 

I didn't say it was up to government to help. End of the day businesses come and go. My point is they just come out state the obvious that people are struggling then that's it. It's like thanks for that we were already aware thanks

Just now, thommo2010 said:

I didn't say it was up to government to help. End of the day businesses come and go. My point is they just come out state the obvious that people are struggling then that's it. It's like thanks for that we were already aware thanks

Fair enough.

People expect far too much from government.