why are the isle of man arts council supporting the circus ?

Omobono

On 4/20/2024 at 2:18 PM, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

The circus receives funding from Arts Council England and the IOM Today people wrongly reported it - which is why the story has been taken down.

Wrongly reported? Fancy that!

On 4/20/2024 at 11:35 AM, Roger Mexico said:

It's surprisingly difficult to find out who the IOM Arts Council gives funding to.  As with so much else recently there seems to have been a decline in the information available - I'm sure I've found Annual Reports easily in the past.  I suspect the relationship with the Circus is one of underwriting against loss, but that is based only on a picture on their website where the concept is illustrated with a photo of the Circus (I assume):

image.png.d772a5e8935291a87c77871a273692a2.png

But it seems not unreasonable and I know it's been used to encourage other commercial entertainment to come to the Island in the past.

Rog FOI 366459 may give an insight

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, piebaps said:

Rog FOI 366459 may give an insight

Well it does, though possibly not the one they were hoping for.  The main recipient seems to be out old friend [Redacted].  A very artistic type is [Redacted].

I suspect the problem as usual is the usual unwillingness of the Manx Civil Service to understand what GDPR means, so as to shield themselves from even the remotest suspicion of responsibility.  It's nonsense of course here you can download all the grants of lottery money that Arts Council England give out by year.  No redaction of individual names whether they are receiving money directly or for an organisation.

The result is to make the whole thing look extremely dodgy, when in reality it probably is mostly OK.  A more recent FoI  that covered 2018-2023 (2875241) was even less helpful, claiming GDPR and not even giving the amounts or de-duplicating the list.

Always thought Gandeys were serial litterers; The circus is here for a week or two but their posters are on any building they can get away with, rotting away all year round.