Sick note culture

Banker

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

It is if they also get their rent paid!

I spend more than £139 a week just in bloody Tesco. It’s a pittance, even with rent paid.

8 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

If the regime around benefits for those with long term health conditions was supportive, and less punitive, costs could be reduced, self respect increased, and more skills available to employers

That’s exactly it.

If employers can be helped financially to take on long-term sick people- helped with the costs of equipment, helped with the costs of extra sickness absence for people with chronic illnesses- then you will find more people in work. But as it stands- disability legislation or not- nobody is going to hire someone who can only work 65% of the time. Especially as it’s rarely a consistent 65%, it’s usually 100% for two months then 0% for one month, rinse and repeat.

If the benefits system has less of a cliff-edge to it then it will encourage more people to do a bit more work. In a past life I was a benefits adviser, and nothing depressed me more than telling someone they’d be £10 a week better off working but that their bus fare to get to work would be £15.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Cut all benefits and just let the fit survive. Like in the jungle (or real world). 

Except you of course...who's paid all his tax and NI for years..but been in an accident that wasn't his fault and got disabled and can't work anymore. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Cut all benefits and just let the fit survive. Like in the jungle (or real world). 

What an ignorant comment to make. Mind blowing some of the comments made on this forum by sad people.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

I suppose if the Soc sec system were not so adversarial/confrontational, let's see who we can catch out today!!!

Rather offering help and guidance to those who need it, it may be a better outcome for the Treasury and and the claimants???

A better ceiling for earnings before claim reductions if as the Govt claim, that working is better for the psyche than claiming???

It's not only the wrongful claimants but the genuine claimants that need considering and solutions found to help each side?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HeliX said:

Absolute horseshit can you live a decent life on £139 a week.

Many were expected to, on not much more than that during Covid, albeit exceptional circumstances.

Of course, a few also got much, much more than that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

What about living on £139 a week BEFORE all your bills were paid? 

It’s not a large amount but the rent is also paid & if children then they get much more. There’s many on benefits who are regulars in nags head & the market plus smokers so seem to manage fine 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You're unravelling. What absolute nonsense is this? Total fucking ignorance is what it is. 

So I work 40 hours a week and after all my bills are paid I have less than 139 a week disposable income. 

Then because I've bought a house when I get to a stage I have to go into a care home that house is sold but the people who have never owned a house gets the same care for free. How is it fair? Work hard in life get screwed be a waster get everything on a plate

• Like 2