Sick note culture

Banker

49 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s not a large amount but the rent is also paid & if children then they get much more. There’s many on benefits who are regulars in nags head & the market plus smokers so seem to manage fine 

Living the high life, eh?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

So I work 40 hours a week and after all my bills are paid I have less than 139 a week disposable income. 

Then because I've bought a house when I get to a stage I have to go into a care home that house is sold but the people who have never owned a house gets the same care for free. How is it fair? Work hard in life get screwed be a waster get everything on a plate

Look on the bright side: you might die before you need a care home.

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

So I work 40 hours a week and after all my bills are paid I have less than 139 a week disposable income. 

Then because I've bought a house when I get to a stage I have to go into a care home that house is sold but the people who have never owned a house gets the same care for free. How is it fair? Work hard in life get screwed be a waster get everything on a plate

You don't though. There is a severe delusion that people like you suffer from that its somehow easier on benefits because "urbaderp free money and rent". 

Most people are not living in an affordable situation. My friend for example who is long term sick, has to pay 650 a month rent on her flat and is struggling to find anywhere else, and waiting lists for any council / authority housing are hella long. The long term rate is £139 and the most rent they will pay is roughly £520. Tell me Mr Knowitall, where the hell are you renting a flat in the private sector for £520 a month. Most bedsits now want at least £500 a month and thats just for a single room. So my friend has £520 to pay toward rent, has to find the other £130 from the money she has per week. Taking her weekly amount down to £106. Then she spends £20 on electric, £20 on gas, £50 on food, £5 phone top up, with the remainder going on other things such as saving up for clothes she needs. Leaving her with virtually nothing each week. If you think that being on benefit is a breeze, you are mistaken. Some squander it sure, but for those who are actually trying to live, its no picnic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Chie said:

You don't though. There is a severe delusion that people like you suffer from that its somehow easier on benefits because "urbaderp free money and rent". 

Most people are not living in an affordable situation. My friend for example who is long term sick, has to pay 650 a month rent on her flat and is struggling to find anywhere else, and waiting lists for any council / authority housing are hella long. The long term rate is £139 and the most rent they will pay is roughly £520. Tell me Mr Knowitall, where the hell are you renting a flat in the private sector for £520 a month. Most bedsits now want at least £500 a month and thats just for a single room. So my friend has £520 to pay toward rent, has to find the other £130 from the money she has per week. Taking her weekly amount down to £106. Then she spends £20 on electric, £20 on gas, £50 on food, £5 phone top up, with the remainder going on other things such as saving up for clothes she needs. Leaving her with virtually nothing each week. If you think that being on benefit is a breeze, you are mistaken. Some squander it sure, but for those who are actually trying to live, its no picnic.

So I don't disagree,  there are those thar struggle and I empathise with them. It'd the people who see benefits as a lifestyle I have no sympathy with and if people on this forum don't think that happens then they are naive

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

So I don't disagree,  there are those thar struggle and I empathise with them. It'd the people who see benefits as a lifestyle I have no sympathy with and if people on this forum don't think that happens then they are naive

Im not saying it doesn't happen. But, I think we need to be careful painting everyone on benefit with the same brush.

On 7/26/2024 at 9:24 AM, 2112 said:

He advocates forcing the long term sick into work

No, he didn't. G=He advocates forcing the long term sick to engage with government job finding agencies. 

Back in the day , many moons ago like the late 70’s I worked in a pub in a not very salubrious part of the UK. Cashed giros in the pub all the time for all sorts of benefits ( giros was how they were paid back then because people did not have bank accounts). Said cash would then be spent on booze , fags and sometime cards ( gambling ). The gambling often ended in fisticuffs. But I’m sure it’s not like that now. No giros anymore for one thing.

9 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Back in the day , many moons ago like the late 70’s I worked in a pub in a not very salubrious part of the UK. Cashed giros in the pub all the time for all sorts of benefits ( giros was how they were paid back then because people did not have bank accounts). Said cash would then be spent on booze , fags and sometime cards ( gambling ). The gambling often ended in fisticuffs. But I’m sure it’s not like that now. No giros anymore for one thing.

Probably not much different given the weekly court reports 

19 hours ago, Banker said:

It’s not a large amount but the rent is also paid & if children then they get much more. There’s many on benefits who are regulars in nags head & the market plus smokers so seem to manage fine 

Do you have some sort of magical benefits detector? How can you possibly know which Nags Head customers are claiming benefits? How can you know which smokers are claiming benefits?

6 hours ago, piebaps said:

Do you have some sort of magical benefits detector? How can you possibly know which Nags Head customers are claiming benefits? How can you know which smokers are claiming benefits?

Those who are in rented accommodation owned by family!