Sick note culture

Banker

13 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

I wouldn't be boasting if my family were slum landlords

They’re not slums , they are in excellent condition and one of few landlords who will actually take people on benefits, rents get paid directly by social services. Perhaps he should just evict them all for being on benefits?

However they all manage to have , Netflix etc, plenty for drinks & smoking & can mostly manage to walk a mile there & back to pubs whilst declaring themselves unfit to work!!

3 hours ago, Banker said:

They’re not slums , they are in excellent condition and one of few landlords who will actually take people on benefits, rents get paid directly by social services. Perhaps he should just evict them all for being on benefits?

However they all manage to have , Netflix etc, plenty for drinks & smoking & can mostly manage to walk a mile there & back to pubs whilst declaring themselves unfit to work!!

So not slum landlords, just parasites sucking from the public teat - and do you complain if they have Netflix?

5 hours ago, Banker said:

netfix is cheap , it is legitimate sky that is the cash hoover.

On 7/27/2024 at 8:07 PM, thommo2010 said:

So I don't disagree,  there are those thar struggle and I empathise with them. It'd the people who see benefits as a lifestyle I have no sympathy with and if people on this forum don't think that happens then they are naive

Why have a benefits lifestyle when you can just get a well paid government job and slack around at home 2 days a week under their own HR policy? It’s better than being unemployed. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-governments-home-working-tips-include-bin-breakfast-and-shower-time-suggestions-708785

11 hours ago, Idleweiss said:

Why have a benefits lifestyle when you can just get a well paid government job and slack around at home 2 days a week under their own HR policy? It’s better than being unemployed. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-governments-home-working-tips-include-bin-breakfast-and-shower-time-suggestions-708785

Definitely a good option. I mean what's the need for people to be in an office if they can work from home? 

Edited by thommo2010

41 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Definitely a good option. I mean what's the need for people to be in an office if they can work from home? 

I've worked from home for years, wouldn't catch me up at 6:45 though. Alarm at 8:50.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I hate working from home, but if people want to work from home then there’s some instant savings on office space. The rents on some of the rented office space government are still using can’t be cheap. Imagine if we can get rid of 30% of it.

The ones who bitch about working from home tend to be the ones who have investments in commercial office space. Wonder why they might hate working from home?

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I hate working from home, but if people want to work from home then there’s some instant savings on office space. The rents on some of the rented office space government are still using can’t be cheap. Imagine if we can get rid of 30% of it.

The ones who bitch about working from home tend to be the ones who have investments in commercial office space. Wonder why they might hate working from home?

They would'nt condense them down to less offices though we'd just end up with a load of half empty ones!

27 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I think most people recognise some merits of working from home there is just a general view that it's not that compatible with weak management and the high level of protected employment typically found in the civil service.

• Like 1

The FoI mentioned in the IOM Newspapers report (ref: 3997821) is quite revealing in the the usual accidental way.  What was actually asked was:

Please provide the actual numbers or the annual percentage year December 2022 to December 2023 of employees that either worked from home or worked part time from home. If possible provide the overall number of employees in the period, and the number of days that were spent working from home

The DHSC then claim: we do not hold or cannot, after taking reasonable steps to do so, find the information that you have requested.  Now you'd think that any competent employer would know and keep records of who was officially working where for all sorts of reasons, practical and legal and staff welfare. 

But what is more, this is the DHSC not Manx Care.  And if someone sends them an FoI relating to Manx Care, they're very quick to say it's not them in as snidey a way as possible.  So we're only talking about data for about 40 people maximum.  So getting the figures should be easy.

Especially as they then try to be clever and answer a question they weren't asked:

Homeworking at the DHSC is a regular practice for a number of colleagues. Each colleague is permitted up to 2 full days working from home every week, however this must be agreed and documented by your line manager. This will be prorated for part time staff (so that 60% of working time is in the office).

It is acknowledged that there will be ad-hoc situations where people would like to be able to work from home for longer than this (such as caring for dependents/pets). This will be allowed at the discretion of the line manager taking into account the nature of the person’s role/work and the frequency of requests for homeworking outside of the usual policy.

If you wish to work from home, please read the Government guidelines on homeworking.

(my bold).  So records do exist after all.

The rest of the stuff is from that homeworking link where there are no fewer than seven documents, some of which have useful bits, but an awful lot is micromanaging employees lives (stop them eating crisps!) while showing no sign that there should be much actual managing of work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

I've worked from home for years, wouldn't catch me up at 6:45 though. Alarm at 8:50.

Must work in tax office or social services then, can’t raise them before 9.30 normally.