Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

It's not that obvious, competency qualifications from UK providers are accepted by other government bodies, road transport operators for example.

There's nothing unique about the island's licensed trade, if there is I stand corrected but would ask the question why?

It's not a competency qualification, it's specific to Manx licensing law. It's called the Manx Licensing law qualification. UK licensing law is different. 

So it's a qualification specific to a piece of Manx legislation.

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It's not a competency qualification, it's specific to Manx licensing law. It's called the Manx Licensing law qualification. UK licensing law is different. 

So it's a qualification specific to a piece of Manx legislation.

What is so different which couldn't be covered in a licensing interview, surely the general principles are the same? 

We are very fond of Manx solutions to Manx problems, a job creation scheme?

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What is so different which couldn't be covered in a licensing interview, surely the general principles are the same? 

We are very fond of Manx solutions to Manx problems, a job creation scheme?

I didn't invent the scheme nor do I think it necessary, so you're asking the wrong person.

It is a 5/6 hour course. Cover subjects such as drugs and things not specifically written into the scheme but that you would be expected to do, use of the incident book for example. There are things in there which I'm not sure are completely necessary either.

What I was doing is simply pointing out why it's a qualification applicable to Manx legislation rather than a competency certificate. It's probably very much designed that way for that reason.

• Thanks 1

A large part of the hospitality industry’s woes are the rents of the premises.    The Government are in no way responsible for rental agreements so why they should be asked to help people who have taken on premises that are not viable is quite beyond me.     A lot of these woes are down to lack of business acumen and experience.    Every business is hard work and accountability and not for the weak hearted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The places I go all seem to be doing okay. Often difficult to get bookings actually. Quality seems to be the key.

It's not the business of government to make nonviable businesses viable.

Better public transport at night would help make the drinking sector more viable (if that is even a good idea - perhaps the days of pubs are over). But people are too tight to pay a bit more tax to fund that. Perhaps Uber.

Edited by genericUserName

23 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

A large part of the hospitality industry’s woes are the rents of the premises.    The Government are in no way responsible for rental agreements so why they should be asked to help people who have taken on premises that are not viable is quite beyond me.     A lot of these woes are down to lack of business acumen and experience.    Every business is hard work and accountability and not for the weak hearted.

Can you prove this in any way whatsoever or are you just guessing?

You are in the camp of 'hospitality shouldn't be helped as it's all their own fault', going by your posts. So nothing anyone says on here is going to change your mind. You were comparing a night in to a night out earlier in the thread. 

So do you have anything to back this up, other than nonsensical comparisons and guesswork?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The places I go all seem to be doing okay. Often difficult to get bookings actually. Quality seems to be the key.

It's not the business of government to make nonviable businesses viable.

Better public transport at night would help make the drinking sector more viable (if that is even a good idea - perhaps the days of pubs are over). But people are too tight to pay a bit more tax to fund that. Perhaps Uber.

There are some places which are busy that are losing money. It was said by the owner in the meeting. I'm not sure whether that's to become common knowledge, so won't reveal the names.

If you want another more obvious one, the Tea Junction is busy, yet it's still going to close down.

• Like 1

We look for good food and value for money, as I suspect do many others. Lunch at 14 North is not cheap, but it is excellent food and service, so I don't mind paying. The Glen Helen is charging similar prices for cheap food served by poorly managed schoolchildren. The wrong items came, no fork with a cake etc, and the bill was wrong. So we'll go back to 14 North, and we won't go back to Glen Helen. I think this is why some businesses are doing well and others are not. When times are tough, the poorly run places will struggle because people, like us, vote with their feet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

There are some places which are busy that are losing money.

That is ultimately their choice.

11 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

the Tea Junction is busy, yet it's still going to close down.

If it is not viable then it should close. It's not the business of government to keep businesses afloat

20 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

There are some places which are busy that are losing money. It was said by the owner in the meeting. I'm not sure whether that's to become common knowledge, so won't reveal the names.

If you want another more obvious one, the Tea Junction is busy, yet it's still going to close down.

Has the reasons for why busy places actually been analysed, rather than a gut feel? 

24 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I can believe that, from another industry and time. So busy that there isn't time to think, believing that you must be making money, but you are missing the basics and making sure that you charge for things properly, are buying things properly and taking every selling opportunity that arises. You are then busy cleaning up, cashing up and getting ready to do it all again tomorrow. investing in decent staff frees you up to make sure that things are done properly.  

Some places have closed or reinvented themselves because they didn’t “make money”

Their owners are regularly on holiday, flashing the cash, driving posh vans, driving expensive cars etc etc.

Any business in any sector will not make money if you take out more than the business can afford.

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I can believe that, from another industry and time. So busy that there isn't time to think, believing that you must be making money, but you are missing the basics and making sure that you charge for things properly, are buying things properly and taking every selling opportunity that arises. You are then busy cleaning up, cashing up and getting ready to do it all again tomorrow. investing in decent staff frees you up to make sure that things are done properly.  

True.  The only people at fault there though are the owners and the managers.

Government shouldn’t be bailing out people who are clueless in any sector.

9 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Some places have closed or reinvented themselves because they didn’t “make money”

Their owners are regularly on holiday, flashing the cash, driving posh vans, driving expensive cars etc etc.

Any business in any sector will not make money if you take out more than the business can afford.

I call you out as a pure bullshitter on that one

• Confused 1