Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

9 minutes ago, code99 said:

Personally, I am gutted about The Tea Junction closing because it is one of my favourite places to go for a bit of niceness. When listening to the owner being interviewed on ITV, I was genuinely disappointed to hear that they are not making enough money to stay in business. I would have thought they could try to raise prices, as most of their clientele seem to be well-off and might be able to afford price increases. So, what can be done?

I have a plan. As a taxpayer, I want MHKs, MLCs and all non-frontline service CS/PS desk jockeys earning north of £70k pa to eat out for a minimum 6 nights a week (or alternatively, with special permission, they can substitute breakfasts and lunches for evening meals). I know that that suggestion might sound a bit dictatorial, but Cannan seems to like a bit of totalitarianism (not so much criticism) and those dictatorial tendencies could come to our hospitality industry’s rescue... These people are among the most highly paid residents, and if they can’t help local economy, who can? By dining out and not sitting at home and counting their endless pennies (their incomes have been gifted to them by taxpayers) they can give something back to the community, i.e., it is only fair that these better-off establishment residents give a little bit back. I reckon this idea would be an easier option for Treasury than lowering the VAT rate.

but they are eating out , just look into the government office canteen  or the one at Nobles hospital  some having bacon and egg  bab for breakfast   or a  really good lunch     and all  at prices  subsidised  ,   excellent choice of food really  well prepared   , you only have to look at  some of the obese civil servants  and nurses   to see how they are living off the fat of the land , imagine the size some of them would be if they dined out   every night as well 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Omobono said:

[...] they are living off the fat of the land , imagine the size some of them would be if they dined out   every night as well 

Think of the savings on pensions!

Given the number of times that certain frequently-posting Manx Forums contributors claim to eat out on Island every month/week/day, maybe we should be getting these highly-paid people to post on here all the time.  (If they don't already).  It clearly increases the appetite for supporting the hospitality sector.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Think of the savings on pensions!

Given the number of times that certain frequently-posting Manx Forums contributors claim to eat out on Island every month/week/day, maybe we should be getting these highly-paid people to post on here all the time.  (If they don't already).  It clearly increases the appetite for supporting the hospitality sector.

Maybe they aren't here to do it though, if they've got 300+ flights a year to fit in.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

But this was an interesting comment:

image.thumb.png.eabd4dd1951a81c1733f85687a7040ae.png

Is IOMG really looking to abrogate the Common Purse Agreement?

There's a possibility the sun might not rise tomorrow but it seems pretty unlikely. They'd have to be nuts. I know they are nuts, but to do that would be bat shit crazy.

Just now, woolley said:

There's a possibility the sun might not rise tomorrow but it seems pretty unlikely. They'd have to be nuts. I know they are nuts, but to do that would be bat shit crazy.

+1 from the point of view of IoM suggesting it. Plus Allinson making great play about how it's 28% of Govt income, it doesn't add up unless UK are pushing for it.

Which would be fairly seismic. Again.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:56 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

That's very misleading. To all intents and purposes, if you work full time and then take a second job, you will be taxed at 22% for every penny you earn in that second job.

That may not be how the tax office rationalise it, but that is what happens.

I think it's very misleading and disingenuous of the government to say otherwise.

They have done an easy to understand graphic for people who don’t understand, probably in response to all the idiots saying second jobs are taxed at 22 percent.

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

+1 from the point of view of IoM suggesting it. Plus Allinson making great play about how it's 28% of Govt income, it doesn't add up unless UK are pushing for it.

Which would be fairly seismic. Again.

Yes, that's odd too. 28% seemed low to me. VAT and common duties associated with the Customs Agreement are back up to around £440m now. If that's 28% then the total income of Government would be over £1.5bn, but it's only barely over a billion. They do have some fanciful projections in the coming years of it being £1.3bn+, but projections are much easier to make than to achieve. The agreement is not to be tinkered with lightly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

but they are eating out , just look into the government office canteen  or the one at Nobles hospital  some having bacon and egg  bab for breakfast   or a  really good lunch     and all  at prices  subsidised  ,   excellent choice of food really  well prepared   , you only have to look at  some of the obese civil servants  and nurses   to see how they are living off the fat of the land , imagine the size some of them would be if they dined out   every night as well 

Can you give us some examples of dishes and prices - just for context.

32 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

They have done an easy to understand graphic for people who don’t understand, probably in response to all the idiots saying second jobs are taxed at 22 percent.

A graphic which says. "In most cases......the second job will be deducted at 22%."

It's not the people who think the second job will be taxed at 22% that are idiots. It's the people trying to persuade them it's a misconception when in most cases it clearly isn't.

Talk of tax codes is just needless complication. The truth is, if you're over 18 and you work full time, a second job will be taxed at 22% for every penny you earn from it. You can try to spin that however you like, it doesn't mean it's not true.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes, that's odd too. 28% seemed low to me. VAT and common duties associated with the Customs Agreement are back up to around £440m now. If that's 28% then the total income of Government would be over £1.5bn, but it's only barely over a billion. They do have some fanciful projections in the coming years of it being £1.3bn+, but projections are much easier to make than to achieve. The agreement is not to be tinkered with lightly.

It has crossed my mind that the onus on the vat home survey and the many noises about budgets from government is derived from Westminster suggesting that our share is going to be reduced again.

23 minutes ago, cissolt said:

It has crossed my mind that the onus on the vat home survey and the many noises about budgets from government is derived from Westminster suggesting that our share is going to be reduced again.

Our share has been rising very healthily since the previous cut, well above inflation, so it isn't like you can say it's a continuing theme from back then. Of course past performance is not necessarily a guide to the future, and we cannot know what happens behind closed doors. The VAT surveys are part of the FERSA method of calculating the share, and date back to the 2016 revision of the agreement, so this aspect is nothing new.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

A graphic which says. "In most cases......the second job will be deducted at 22%."

It's not the people who think the second job will be taxed at 22% that are idiots. It's the people trying to persuade them it's a misconception when in most cases it clearly isn't.

Talk of tax codes is just needless complication. The truth is, if you're over 18 and you work full time, a second job will be taxed at 22% for every penny you earn from it. You can try to spin that however you like, it doesn't mean it's not true.

Even the pretty pictures haven’t helped you understand then.

My young fella used to have two jobs, he didn’t hit the top bracket and still wouldn’t 

.Saying that second jobs are taxed at 22 percent is clearly wrong and inaccurate.  Sorry that even the pretty pictures didn’t help 🙄

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

My young fella used to have two jobs, he didn’t hit the top bracket and still wouldn’t 

🙄

Your young fella is not representative of most people (surprisingly enough).

A bit like if you. If need several pages of pretty pictures to understand simple percentages, then you are not representative of most people.

Most people believe they will be taxed at 22% for a second job, simply because they will be. They are 100% correct in their belief. No amount of condescending waffle about tax codes or anything else will change that.

9 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Most people believe they will be taxed at 22% for a second job, simply because they will be. They are 100% correct in their belief. No amount of condescending waffle about tax codes or anything else will change tha

LOL

Say I was married and the only earner.  I pay  500 a month in mortgage interest.

I earn 26k full time, and have a second job at 10 hours a week at £15 an hour.

In TT and MGP and at Christmas I help out on the local pub at £14 an hour 40 hours a week because my main place of employment is closed.

Which of those three jobs do I pay 22 percent on?

Edited by Anthony Ingham

5 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

LOL

Say I was married and the only earner.  I pay  500 a month in mortgage interest.

I earn 26k full time, and have a second job at 10 hours a week at £15 an hour.

In TT and MGP and at Christmas I help out on the local pub at £14 an hour 40 hours a week because my main place of employment is closed.

Which of those three jobs do I pay 22 percent on?

And on to the whataboutery.

I think perhaps you need to Google the meaning of the word most and try again.

I believe some people identify as cats, it doesn't mean we all have to shit in next doors garden.