Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

it was a trick question , viable businesses don't tend to fail, just ones that have become unviable or never where to start with., hence the failure.

There are people who think government should step in and help them.  Its insane 

10 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

It's in Govt's own interests to maintain a broad and healthy economy. But as you've succinctly put it in your previous post, that is not the priority here, Govt funding its own bloat is (and you missed the £40M pa pension shortfall out of your figures).

It has all the signs of desperate short-termism and endlessly quoting that 28% of income is VAT "so we can't help" is simply reinforcing that IMHO. Clearly there is no margin available because everything is being channeled towards Govt's own liabilities whilst at the same time it has absolutely zero intention of looking at its own size and costs.

"Upland Carbon Officers and Rangers" being one outstanding current example.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Twitch said:

I can't believe that DFE's Manx Menu promotion hasn't had punters flocking to the Island's pubs,  cafes and restaurants.

How much did this campaign cost? I have nothing against campaigns or promotions, or promoting local foods, but sadly I don’t think it was the right time. Incidentally the award winning The Boatyard announced on social media, it was opening Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sadly lots can’t afford to open the majority of the week, and lots of islanders have a reduced disposable income. I would imagine it is a brutal struggle to survive, with increased food prices, rising labour costs, lack of recruitment and retention of staff, and high energy/utility costs. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Tea Junction recently for instance? Looneys in Ramsey? There are many reasons for a business to close. It may be making money but the owners decide that regulation/taxation mean that it's simply too much hard work for the reward (and our Govt are good at that, look at homestay, counting teaspoons). Too much interference will deter business as much as economics. Double whammy.

Neither of those examples really fit.  Tea Junction aren't closing down till May 2025, so it's clearly viable at current rents and not having regulation/tax issues.  It's the rent that's the problem.  There's been no explanation of why Looney's is closing, it may well be personal reasons, judging by the speed and the way it's happening.

Government as a landlord may be a problem - look at Dhoon and I've heard other stories - but the main one quoted appears to be staffing judging by the LVA proposals.  And that's has got less to do with regulation than them prioritising 'business' for many years in the shape of the construction and property sectors.  If anything it stems from lack of regulation and a reluctance to interfere with those.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The same old mantra is getting another outing though.

Alex, how about some out of the box thinking, how about some assistance without the eternal threat of "service cuts"? Make your fat-arsed, complacent Treasury CS start using some of the brains that they were allegedly put in post for, rather than continually feeding you the line that there must be cuts in services to the public.

They could start by evaluating the need and worth of every Govt post and apply the knife in the same fashion that the private sector would.

Screenshot_20240430-102843_Facebook.jpg

The favourite go to to turn the public against hospitality. Well done Allinson, well done

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

How much did this campaign cost? I have nothing against campaigns or promotions, or promoting local foods, but sadly I don’t think it was the right time. Incidentally the award winning The Boatyard announced on social media, it was opening Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sadly lots can’t afford to open the majority of the week, and lots of islanders have a reduced disposable income. I would imagine it is a brutal struggle to survive, with increased food prices, rising labour costs, lack of recruitment and retention of staff, and high energy/utility costs. 

FFS stop calling it the boatyard constantly it’s not that’s in peel!!!

14 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

IOMG helps others, even their own, by offering reimbursement of relocation expenses. But oddly can't find a solution for those who provide services to those who relocate here.

It's a weird and distorted economy and despite what gov says, it's not balanced, sustainable or fair at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

IOMG helps others, even their own, by offering reimbursement of relocation expenses. But oddly can't find a solution for those who provide services to those who relocate here.

It's a weird and distorted economy and despite what gov says, it's not balanced, sustainable or fair at all.

It's not Andy but at the same time, money is tight all around so why would you go out and spend your hard earned money on mediocrity.

30 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Could you keep quiet whilst the adults are talking...

I would say that the majority don’t think hospitality should get any more help than anyone else.

Do you disagree?  I am talking general population, not deluded hospitality owners who don’t seem to understand how VAT works!! They were bleating yesterday that it’s not fair that they collect it but can’t claim it back on their investments.  Clueless about basic accounting 

30 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

I would say that the majority don’t think hospitality should get any more help than anyone else.

Do you disagree?  I am talking general population, not deluded hospitality owners who don’t seem to understand how VAT works!! They were bleating yesterday that it’s not fair that they collect it but can’t claim it back on their investments.  Clueless about basic accounting 

What help do hospitality get?