Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

The hospitality industry were busy over the TT period but are still not entirely happy. Sadly whatever is done, nobody will be happy, and I don’t think the staff are overjoyed working all the hours under the sun and being hammered in extra tax and NI for the privilege. From the NPM - 

Government support was available to staff who are working in excess of 37 hours per week

Temporary financial assistance from government given to the hospitality trade over TT helped the sector on the Island.

That's according to the Chairman of the Licensed Victuallers Association, who says the support enabled businesses to incentivise their employees to work more over the period.

Andy Gibbs says the racing fortnight was useful for many businesses, with Jaks alone seeing trade go up by about 25 per cent.

But he says 'deep rooted problems' remain within the industry:

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

It's a 'Them and us' problem...too many of Them and not enough of Us purchasing public.

Only so many fish can fit in a small pond.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's a 'Them and us' problem...too many of Them and not enough of Us purchasing public.

Not much disposable income for both having a meal or having a drink, so to many it’s a luxury, especially with residents. Some tourists however may have spare cash set aside for meals, drink and entertainment etc, but in reality even they would be finding things tough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The same Brexit supporting person, who couldn’t see past a sign on a bus, and forgot how much his and other hospitality businesses relied on Immigration from Europe to help the local hospitality sector 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

The same Brexit supporting person, who couldn’t see past a sign on a bus, and forgot how much his and other hospitality businesses relied on Immigration from Europe to help the local hospitality sector 

You can have all the cheap labour you want but if people haven’t got the money to eat out that’s not going to help.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

The hospitality industry were busy over the TT period but are still not entirely happy. Sadly whatever is done, nobody will be happy, and I don’t think the staff are overjoyed working all the hours under the sun and being hammered in extra tax and NI for the privilege. From the NPM - 

Government support was available to staff who are working in excess of 37 hours per week

Temporary financial assistance from government given to the hospitality trade over TT helped the sector on the Island.

That's according to the Chairman of the Licensed Victuallers Association, who says the support enabled businesses to incentivise their employees to work more over the period.

Andy Gibbs says the racing fortnight was useful for many businesses, with Jaks alone seeing trade go up by about 25 per cent.

Oliver Twist wants more. It's up to private companies to sort out their own 'industry'.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Whilst I appreciate this is the general consensus, I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. 

We certainly don’t have any more room for any more cocktail bars, brewery replica pubs or coffee shops. 

There are more falling by the wayside though (Bathurst chippy up for let for example - I know that will disappoint many in here and let them say ‘I told you so’), so we may find out. 

Another new takeaway to open in Ramsey in the old American diner and all the ones already there seem busy.

People have money to spend, they are just selective about where they spend it.

Edited by Roger Ram
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You can have all the cheap labour you want but if people haven’t got the money to eat out that’s not going to help.

It's not cheap labour though if they have to be paid minimum wage. 

It is however a significant overhead. I'm sure @jackwhite might be able to give us a % of overheads/costs that relate specifically to labour.  I'd assume it would be the second biggest after the actual food/drink. 

Something noticeable about some of the countries I travel to regularly, is that often eating out isn't much more expensive than buying the food yourself at a supermarket.  Why?  Because they are virtually using slave labour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Whilst I appreciate this is the general consensus, I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. 

We certainly don’t have any more room for any more cocktail bars, brewery replica pubs or coffee shops. 

There are more falling by the wayside though (Bathurst chippy up for let for example - I know that will disappoint many in here and let them say ‘I told you so’), so we may find out. 

You can never have enough coffee shops!

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

It's not cheap labour though if they have to be paid minimum wage. 

It is however a significant overhead. I'm sure @jackwhite might be able to give us a % of overheads/costs that relate specifically to labour.  I'd assume it would be the second biggest after the actual food/drink. 

Something noticeable about some of the countries I travel to regularly, is that often eating out isn't much more expensive than buying the food yourself at a supermarket.  Why?  Because they are virtually using slave labour. 

Unfortunately some local labour won’t work for minimum wage, and over and above minimum wage. They won’t work in hospitality or in social care, hence, you will find experienced hard working non indigenous employees prepared to work for minimum wage and work prepared to work long hours, split shifts etc. Some professions like hospitality and social care don’t exactly have a positive reputation and give off the aura where you would want to work for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Unfortunately some local labour won’t work for minimum wage, and over and above minimum wage. They won’t work in hospitality or in social care, hence, you will find experienced hard working non indigenous employees prepared to work for minimum wage and work prepared to work long hours, split shifts etc. Some professions like hospitality and social care don’t exactly have a positive reputation and give off the aura where you would want to work for them. 

So we’re just going to tar every single business in an industry with the same brush.

I agree with most of what you say there but there are few exceptional companies to work for in general, let alone here on the island. Both these industries have their bad ones, but no more than any other. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

So we’re just going to tar every single business in an industry with the same brush.

I agree with most of what you say there but there are few exceptional companies to work for in general, let alone here on the island. Both these industries have their bad ones, but no more than any other. 

I haven’t tarred every single business with the same brush. The bad businesses will tar the good businesses, who do invest both in the business and in their employees, and it stick in peoples minds, in some cases, it could be a reason why some don’t want to take up a career in hospitality, starting off by studying at the college.