Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

Did Andy Saunders & Sandrina think of updating their offerings that have changed in 25 years- The famous Creg etc I get it but ffs clean it and put a new carpet in bring out of the 90s - same with Quids Inn - have you moved on as a generation move with the times.

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Passing Time said:

I call you out as a pure bullshitter on that one

How come?  Are you blind and deaf?

The owners of Victory Cafe are off island several times a year and make no secret of it.

A prominent restaurant on the quay went tits up recently after the owner had been driving round in luxury cars and living in a big posh house for decades.

There are others.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Has the reasons for why busy places actually been analysed, rather than a gut feel? 

Yes, it was discussed at length.

12 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Do you know for absolute fact what the reason for that closure is?

Yes, again it was discussed. They told the LVA their reasons when asked.

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I can believe that, from another industry and time. So busy that there isn't time to think, believing that you must be making money, but you are missing the basics and making sure that you charge for things properly, are buying things properly and taking every selling opportunity that arises. You are then busy cleaning up, cashing up and getting ready to do it all again tomorrow. investing in decent staff frees you up to make sure that things are done properly.  

Well they are a well loved business on the Isle of Man. They have decent staff. It's still a worry if a business like this is losing money.

11 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Some places have closed or reinvented themselves because they didn’t “make money”

Their owners are regularly on holiday, flashing the cash, driving posh vans, driving expensive cars etc etc.

Any business in any sector will not make money if you take out more than the business can afford.

Who are we talking about here? All of this is very anecdotal. At least, on attending the meeting I did, it wasn't. It was widespread across the industry. Including one operator that particularly surprised, me, as I've mentioned several times now. 

11 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

True.  The only people at fault there though are the owners and the managers.

Government shouldn’t be bailing out people who are clueless in any sector.

Many of these owners and managers have been in the trade for many years and managed to make a living out of it. It's got tighter now, to the extent that many aren't. Have they suddenly become 'clueless'? 

With the various taxes, a lot were estimating they are going to be paying around 70% of their income to government. The new minimum wage cap, if pushed through, will put those on minimum wage into the highest tax bracket.

If you read the statement made by the LVA, they're not asking for 'bailing out', they're asking to keep more of the money they earn and let their staff do likewise, by looking at things the Government can do.

If they all take the attitude of some on here, they will all shut up shop. See how the island fares at that point when there's nowhere to go out to eat, drink or whatever other leisure pursuit you want to partake in. If you think people don't want to come or stay here now, it will be a drop in the ocean if that situation comes to pass. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

How come?  Are you blind and deaf?

The owners of Victory Cafe are off island several times a year and make no secret of it.

A prominent restaurant on the quay went tits up recently after the owner had been driving round in luxury cars and living in a big posh house for decades.

There are others.

So for "some" places, read "I'm taking a wild guess" You really are a balloon knot...

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

If you read the statement made by the LVA, they're not asking for 'bailing out', they're asking to keep more of the money they earn and let their staff do likewise, by looking at things the Government can do.

If you read the statement by the LVA, they don’t understand or bothered to research the basics of VAT here and in the Channel Islands, which cost them a lot of credibility as far as I am concerned.

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

So for "some" places, read "I'm taking a wild guess" You really are a balloon knot...

It’s not a wild guess.  I gave you two specific examples FFS and there are others.

Top tip.  If you want sympathy from the public, don’t post all over your business social media about family holidays that cost more than many can dream of and which involve more time off work than many can dream of.

• Haha 1

Just now, Anthony Ingham said:

If you read the statement by the LVA, they don’t understand or bothered to research the basics of VAT here and in the Channel Islands, which cost them a lot of credibility as far as I am concerned.

So you keep saying, but your own seems to be based on AI. 

You seem to be writing them off on the basis that you don't agree with their statement on VAT. You're also becoming ridiculously entrenched. When I asked for an explanation from you, you then made a post to the extent, when called upon, that we on the board wouldn't understand, as if you are somehow of superior intellect to everyone on here. 

Can AI teach you to be more open minded or do you need a few prompts for that?

7 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Yes, it was discussed at length.

Yes, again it was discussed. They told the LVA their reasons when asked.

Well they are a well loved business on the Isle of Man. They have decent staff. It's still a worry if a business like this is losing money.

Who are we talking about here? All of this is very anecdotal. At least, on attending the meeting I did, it wasn't. It was widespread across the industry. Including one operator that particularly surprised, me, as I've mentioned several times now. 

Many of these owners and managers have been in the trade for many years and managed to make a living out of it. It's got tighter now, to the extent that many aren't. Have they suddenly become 'clueless'? 

With the various taxes, a lot were estimating they are going to be paying around 70% of their income to government. The new minimum wage cap, if pushed through, will put those on minimum wage into the highest tax bracket.

If they all take the attitude of some on here, they will all shut up shop. See how the island fares at that point when there's nowhere to go out to eat, drink or whatever other leisure pursuit you want to partake in. If you think people don't want to come or stay here now, it will be a drop in the ocean if that situation comes to pass. 

70% to government but we're not being gouged no siree!

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

22% tax on second jobs has kicked in this month too, another great incentive to take on extra work brought to you by financial geniuses

No it hasn’t ffs.  Tax is based on earnings, you just need to spend two minutes on the phone to the tax office.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I would use an AI machine to answer the questions. They would eventually get wise to that and insist on a video link. So I would get Max Headroom to stand in for me. No-one would guess. Someone would have to generate a Maxine Headroom for the alternative gender.

Have you got an AI machine?

As a semi-competent home cook, I only take my family out to places that won’t result in a ‘I could have done that better at home’ verdict at the end of the evening. Only the Terrace Chippy and Kizuna tick those boxes.

Apart from the above, eating out in the Isle of Man is shite. 

Just now, Anthony Ingham said:

No it hasn’t ffs.  Tax is based on earnings, you just need to spend two minutes on the phone to the tax office.

We've had this argument before, it is very flawed. I know that you can mess around with your codes, but 10 - 15 hours a week waitressing for a 18yr old basic office girl is pointless, and you work those extra hours for extra cash and lose a third. It is inarguably a disincentive to take on that work.

8 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

So you keep saying, but your own seems to be based on AI. 

You seem to be writing them off on the basis that you don't agree with their statement on VAT. You're also becoming ridiculously entrenched. When I asked for an explanation from you, you then made a post to the extent, when called upon, that we on the board wouldn't understand, as if you are somehow of superior intellect to everyone on here. 

Can AI teach you to be more open minded or do you need a few prompts for that?

I explained it would be easier for you to Google it than me explain.

Here, let me do it for you, although I believe others have already had a go at explaining it .

https://vatcompliance.co/vat-in-northern-ireland-isle-of-man-jersey-and-guernsey/

3 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

That's not true. You have to pay the emergency tax rate. You get it back in the next FY of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1