Re: Crash Onold Castletown

Uni

For those that comment about excessive speed that's a cop out, I suppose you have never ever sped, or taken a corner too fast or at the wrong angle, especially when you were just beginning?

Speed is fine in appropriate circumstances, but when you speed in inappropriate circumstances it can be deadly

It's a sad fact that a lot of young drivers will make bad judgements, that's why their insurance premiums are so high.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact:

DOT have responsibility of ensuring ALLl roads are properly signed - and known accident black spots should be very very clearly marked.

Sadly this black spot has absolutely no warning signs.

I don't drive at excess speed but would certainly not like to approach that bend in the dark of night - country road, no street lights, and no signage

- there should be arrow markings with cat eyes on road etc.

Isn't this what we pay road tax towards?

The voices in my head tell me:

"There is a broken down combine harvester a little down the road"

"Old George Woods is walking a herd of cattle round the next corner"

Or cyclists, or horse riders, or a queue of cars at some new temprorary traffic lights etc. You can never predict what might be round a bend, but some drivers seem to think they're the only ones on the road.

I took a ride on a horse & cart once and at every bend was scared stiff some mad driver would come hurtling into us.

It was only after the news on Manx that I realised I used to work with the father of one the bereved.

I know I have said on other threads that just because a road has a no limit sign doesn't mean you have to put the clog down, that corner has never caught me out, but that may be because I knew it was there, a sign board would be benificial.

My feelings go out to Vince as he is a hell of a nice family orientated guy and must be destroyed by what has happened.

My feelings are with you Vince.

Full sympathy with the families of these young people.

Just a personal thought on the subject of this thread. I have thought for many years that a restriction has to be effective. Giving a new driver of any age an "R" plate does not restrict the speed that they can actually drive their Mitsubishi Evo. At the age of sixteen, a person can obtain their full driving licence and jump straight into any high performance car they like. They do not require experience, other than passing a driving test. There are no practical skills of driving at various times and in various conditions.

I think that a vehicle engine size limit to experience would be a more practicable restriction. i.e. Any person that passes their driving test is restricted to a vehicle not exceeding a 1000cc for the period of one year or in the case of a young driver (16 & 17 yrs old), two years. A driver with more than one year but less than five be restricted to a vehicle which does not exceed 1500cc or in the case of a young driver more than two years experience but less than five years.

Where a driver off any age has had more than five years driving experience then no restriction on vehicle size.

Like I said, it's just a peronal thought and I think it might be a more efficient way of introducing people to cars and road conditions.

I'll go back to being boring now!

Stav.

I understand where you're coming from, but a 600cc Smart will do 85mph before the limiter comes in and I'd imagine there must be a few 1000cc cars that can do the ton or at least mid nineties.

When I passed my test I'd never driven outside Onchan / Douglas and had never done more that 35mph. I drove for 100 miles in the afternoon after passing my test and nearly lost it at the Gooseneck. Perhaps lessons and the test should include a drive in the country at up to 50 mph?

That's just brought back some memories, Old Git. I distinctly remember, the first day of driving on my own after passing my test. Took the parents motor for a spin. Went all over the Island. Including the Marine Drive, which I was probably too quick on. It scared the proverbial out of me. It was a lesson I was lucky enough to learn from. Sometimes, the difference between learning a lesson and losing it, is absolutely tiny.

My deepest sympathy to the families and friends of those concerned.

I well remember coming down to Cronk Ny Mona at 125+ and bricking it when I got round, I had to stop for a Ciggi, my hands were shaking so much.

There but for the grace of god go I.

Sleep peacefully you poor departed souls. All our thoughts are with you.

It was only after the news on Manx that I realised I used to work with the father of one the bereved.

Do I take it that you won't be nicking any flowers then zeph?

(Don't even *think* of flaming me for that - just re-read your stupid comment in that stupid thread and the stupid response if you really feel the need.)

If you can't see where you are going in front of you, you're going too fast.

The "No Limit" sign is not a carte blanche to give your vehicle as much welly as possible.

The voices in my head tell me:

"There is a broken down combine harvester a little down the road"

"Old George Woods is walking a herd of cattle round the next corner"

Well bloody said Grib!

Oh lordy, it is soooo obvious that it's school holidays and that tourists actually exist when there is suddenly an abundance of drivers pootling along country roads at a steady 25mph in the mistaken belief that this will keep them safe - even when they do elect to do so by driving in the bloody middle of what little road there is, and regardless of blind bends, etc - arrrgghhhhh!!! :rolleyes:

(Don't even *think* of flaming me for that - just re-read your stupid comment in that stupid thread and the stupid response if you really feel the need.)

Is that humour? I'm not flaming, but I am surprised - if that is serious, it is a very low blow indeed.

Is that humour? I'm not flaming, but I am surprised - if that is serious it is a very low blow indeed.

You know damned well I was upset by his remark but it was defended to the hilt.

This just proves how WRONG you were.

Don't be suprised Obs - be ashamed that you belittled my own grief. And don't be suprised at my reaction now as it bloody well hurt. (How could it not??)

Stavros - great words of wisdom sir. I went straight from passing my test to driving my mums Toyota Camray (it was a long long time ago) I got all 4 colour coordinated bumpers within a week! Oh how I was popular in the Hive. I've always had small 'girl' cars and took a while to get used to the size of my new car (mazda 323, still smallish car). People who drive Evos are usually missing lots in their lives, I've found.

If the DOT have got money to waste on stupid signs that flash fancy red lights at 'the car in front of me' then surely they could shell out for a few cats eyes and a couple of chevrons..

I don't need to apologise for my statement.

No I won't be nicking flowers. My statement in a previous thread was made in jest and I did apologise after I was told that my quote had upset people.

Purrrrrrrrry that is a very low shot and I did expect better from you.

Maybe I'm shallow and not worth a toss but I can and do feel for others.

Cheers guys, interesting to know you're thoughts.

Old git,

I understand where you are coming from but very few 16 / 17 yr olds could afford a Smart Car. Unfortunately, a lot of what we would rely on would come down to the motor manufacturer.

My first car was a 1200cc Datsun Sunny and I loved it. I even paid £10 extra because we paid by post dated cheque. £110.00 and it was like having sex for the first time, only this time, I used both hands!

Stav.

Archived