Kung fu referee?

3 hours ago, Declan said:

The penalty is red herring, I just mentioned it as another bizarre event during the match. In an ideal world the ref would have been allowed to use common sense an begin with a drop ball, or suggest the taker just passes it back to the goalie. But rules is rules and there's no room for common sense.

Having a designated area at games at this level is ridiculous. Wenger's crazy rules committee will be behind it I bet. All it does is give refs one more thing fuss about.

It makes local non-entities feel like they're Premier League for an hour or two

5 hours ago, Declan said:

The penalty is red herring, I just mentioned it as another bizarre event during the match. In an ideal world the ref would have been allowed to use common sense an begin with a drop ball, or suggest the taker just passes it back to the goalie. But rules is rules and there's no room for common sense.

Having a designated area at games at this level is ridiculous. Wenger's crazy rules committee will be behind it I bet. All it does is give refs one more thing fuss about.

To be honest think it has something to do with problems with certain teams having supporters and the likes inside that designated area and them kicking off when decision goes against there team . Pretty sure nothing to do with Wenger etc. With restrictions on people allowed in this area Referees can have some control over it. And the relevant penalties can be applied .  

18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

To be honest think it has something to do with problems with certain teams having supporters and the likes inside that designated area and them kicking off when decision goes against there team . Pretty sure nothing to do with Wenger etc. With restrictions on people allowed in this area Referees can have some control over it. And the relevant penalties can be applied .  

Why have a designated area in the first place? Supporters are just stood on the touchline around the pitch anyway.

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

Why have a designated area in the first place? Supporters are just stood on the touchline around the pitch anyway.

Not necessarily.  A lot of pitches have barriers around the pitch. 

Douglas Road is roped off except behind the goals. imagine some others as well , I’d have to think. But if you spend most of your time at Anfield you would not know anyway.

20 hours ago, Declan said:

Where? I can only think of the Bowl.

Both Ballafletcher,  St George's,  Rushen, St John's. St Marys. Peel is roped off. Old Boys has a natural barrier with the bank. 

Half the top flight clubs anyway.

19 hours ago, keith lard said:

Both Ballafletcher,  St George's,  Rushen, St John's. St Marys. Peel is roped off. Old Boys has a natural barrier with the bank. 

Half the top flight clubs anyway.

Top flight!