Manx Music Festival 2024

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I would suggest that scoring is subjective.

It is. However, it's the subjective opinion (or should be) of an expert (a skilled practioner or teacher in the field) and against set criteria of "good looks like" in that discipline. 

That doesn't invalidate the performance of the participant who deviates from the set criteria, or the audience member that enjoyed it. 

17 minutes ago, Declan said:
2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

It is. However, it's the subjective opinion (or should be) of an expert (a skilled practioner or teacher in the field) and against set criteria of "good looks like" in that discipline

You would think, but those days are long gone.

17 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

You would think, but those days are long gone.

I wouldn't know. I did see Annie Kissack judged the poetry, and I've seen worse judges at poetry slams. 

2 hours ago, Declan said:

It is. However, it's the subjective opinion (or should be) of an expert (a skilled practioner or teacher in the field) and against set criteria of "good looks like" in that discipline. 

That doesn't invalidate the performance of the participant who deviates from the set criteria, or the audience member that enjoyed it. 

Indeed. I wasn't suggesting it invalidates the performance at all. But to suggest that scores are random does an injustice to the performer who may well have been technically correct. 

23 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Indeed. I wasn't suggesting it invalidates the performance at all. But to suggest that scores are random does an injustice to the performer who may well have been technically correct. 

And the judge!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm really interested to know why you think there are no "skilled practitioners" at the Guild.

I don’t believe all the classes are adjudicated by people with the necessary experience to make a technically informed decision on who has performed the best.

To back that up you only have to look at how many adjudicators used to come over ten years ago compared to now.

Its obviously a necessary cost saving, but where you used to have a person with experience in one discipline adjudicating a small number of classes, you now have a single adjudicator for different classes across different disciplines.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info, on the condition that anything discussed would be quite outing and is not for sharing here.

1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Last week, and every year but one since 1986. Why?

Crikey, how can someone who has been entering several classes every year for getting on for forty years apparently know so little about the marking system? Amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

Crikey, how can someone who has been entering several classes every year for getting on for forty years apparently know so little about the marking system? Amazing. 

Perhaps he just sits there, winding people up about any and all topics he seems to post in?

• Haha 1