The rebels as presented by Phil Gawne on his Sunday shout out.

Edge, Thomas and Christian have formed a little band and are going to take the Government to account on behalf of the public, according to Gawne the Drawl.   I thought someone might have commented on the content of prospective or whatever it is called but apparently Manx Forum members don’t indulge in listening to this programme, understandably.      These three are probably the biggest losers in the MHK stakes and they really enjoy a good pity party.   Their claim to fame is zilch and the effect they will have is similar.     They would like other back benchers to join them but I don’t think there will be much of a rush.   

• Like 1

From the part of the programme I listened to, I thought some good points were made re caving in if something is unpopular (Southern Swimming Pool), looking at the overall rather than just individual departmental budgets, so the increase in revenue from say school bus fares going up, could be achieved with less pain elsewhere and simplifying the tax system so ordinary employed people with one job need not submit a tax return, adopting the PAYE system they have in England. 

Didn't listen to the whole thing, but will do.

I couldn’t understand the true reason for ex Minister Edges dismissal from DESC, or did her face not fit? Claire Christian makes a lot of noise, paints herself as a retail/business guru, whilst Chris Thomas started his political career with so much promise, but allowed himself to be completely overtaken by the civil servants. Chris Thomas hasn’t had much success as a Minister either being sacked or resigned. 

• Thanks 3

Been in long enough - like many other time wasters in there - promised lots on the door step but did bugger all when sat there taking a wage.

It'll come to sod all as usual, but be trotted out as 'we did this for the public' come election time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's a start; much more is needed but at least it's the beginnings of some sort of "opposition" to hold the executive to account. But it needs to be more than what's left of one term, it needs to be a permanent establishment within our political system.

It is what is lacking when a system is comprised of 24 individuals elected on a personality basis with policy then being devised by one of them who is voted in as CM by the other 23. The whole system is currently a farce.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I couldn’t understand the true reason for ex Minister Edges dismissal from DESC, or did her face not fit? Claire Christian makes a lot of noise, paints herself as a retail/business guru, whilst Chris Thomas started his political career with so much promise, but allowed himself to be completely overtaken by the civil servants. Chris Thomas hasn’t had much success as a Minister either being sacked or resigned. 

it was like being savaged by a wet lettuce  , the only way to bring change is to fully embrace the challenge ,  roll your sleeves up and work at bringing change from the inside ,  it seems almost half the keys don't have a work ethic , will not serve in departments   and don't even understand how government and the system works  , 

which is why we have a raft of silly  and meaningless   questions every week trying to curry favour with the lazy media  who give them   inches  in the local newspaper  or airtime ,the Isle of Man is steadily going down the pan and unless these politicians start to work together  for the good of us all  then  life here will not be worth living anymore