Project Centurion Nominated For

steven !

Although I'm sure its nice for the Isle of Man to be nominated for any sort of award, to be placed in the International arena (USA of all places) for a Crime Award, no matter how meritorious that may be, can't surely be good publicity.

The Isle of Man. Where crime was soooo bad it won an award for combatting that crime.

Maybe Douglas Promenade really was one of the crime hotspots OF THE WORLD.

And then we was saved.

IoM News

By Project Centurion.

"The project's Constable Tony Paxton will be joined by Douglas Development Partnership manager Chris Pycroft, chairman of the Project Centurion Steering Group, in giving a presentation at the 16th annual Problem Oriented Policing Conference, next month.

The conference will be held in Charlotte, North Carolina, from October 21 to 23, and the award winner will be announced on the final day."

Source: IoM Newspapers.

And just so we know what it's all about:

"First introduced in 1993, The Herman Goldstein Award recognizes outstanding police officers and police agencies—both in the United States and around the world—that engage in innovative and effective problem-solving efforts and achieve measurable success in reducing specific crime, disorder, and public safety problems. This international competition is named after the founder of problem-oriented policing, University of Wisconsin emeritus Professor Herman Goldstein and administered by the Center for Problem-Oriented Policing.

The Center for Problem-Oriented Policing has assembled a panel of seven judges, made up of experienced researchers and practitioners, who select the winner and a small number of finalists from among award submissions. Submissions typically come from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, British Columbia, Norway and Australia.

The judges consider a number of factors in their selection, including the depth of problem analysis, the development of clear and realistic response goals, the use of relevant measures of effectiveness, and the involvement of citizens and other community resources in problem resolution. Police agencies whose projects successfully resolve any type of recurring community problem that results in crime or disorder are eligible to compete for the award. The number of submissions averages approximately 50 to 70 per year, and of those roughly 5 to 10 per year are selected as finalists.

Hmmm. From what I understand - Project Centurion doesn't include 'alcohol related violence' in its stats. This is because Mr Culverhouse gets paid on statistical results. Clearly if you include all the alcohol related crimes on the prom, Chief Constable Culverhouse wouldn't get a very big bonus at all.

This is nothing new - in the UK labour tinkered with the policing stats to make them look sweeter - but my point is that this reward is something of a sham.

I'm not a policing expert, but imo I would say that the majority of crime along the prom (included in the Centurion remit) is alcohol related. How can you tell that the problem is being reduced when you don't count the major cause of the problem in your stats?

I did go to the IOM Gov website to get a copy of the CC's report - it was listed on the website in the home affairs section, but sadly the link was broken....

Archived