Tower of refuge walk

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Uh I don’t know, because people enjoy doing it safely and as a community event you miserable individual. 

You will need to explain.

The “community event” means standing around and lining up, and not having the ability to explore the place properly when you get there because it’s full of other people.

You can go there safely and pretty much on your own many times in a year, in fact at least 8 this week.

I don’t get the attraction, which is why I asked the question.

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Casta said:

There have been occasions when people have wondered out there as the tide was coming in and got stranded.

Unless you know the tides it is not as straightforward as it might seem.

Those people are idiots.

• Haha 1

Sweet Jesus.  There is rather good reason why people aren't walking out to the Tower of Refuge "last night, or this morning, or tomorrow morning or night".  That because there is this thing call "the sea"  in the way.  So walking there isn't possible (unless you actually are sweet Jesus).

There are only a few times in the year when the tide is low enough for people to be able to walk out to Conister Rock and back safely without (at best) getting wet.  Even that may not be possible some years because of weather, atmospheric pressure and so on.  So rather than risk people getting stranded or swamped or drowned because they chose the wrong date or stayed too long or whatever, it's become an organised event that can be closely supervised and cancelled if circumstances change.  And of course that has attracted all the peripheral activity that organised events usually do on the Isle of Man: commercial sponsors, people doing things in costume, people with dogs, charity sponsorship etc etc.  There's probably a raffle.

But basically it's because of tides.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Sweet Jesus.  There is rather good reason why people aren't walking out to the Tower of Refuge "last night, or this morning, or tomorrow morning or night".  That because there is this thing call "the sea"  in the way.  So walking there isn't possible (unless you actually are sweet Jesus).

Are you having a laugh?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Maybe.

I would still rather make a contribution and head out there one of the several times a year you can do it safely in your own small group though.

The videos and photos of tonight look like hell on earth to me.

The irony of this is lost on you, isn't it?  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I went with the family some years ago it was really sloppy apart from that it was a fun experience.    Years ago I went in one of the rowing boats that used to be for hire and there was a lady who sold souvenirs and pop on it.

Slippy not sloppy

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The irony of this is lost on you, isn't it?  

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There are only a few times in the year when the tide is low enough for people to be able to walk out to Conister Rock and back safely without (at best) getting wet.  Even that may not be possible some years because of weather, atmospheric pressure and so on.  So rather than risk people getting stranded or swamped or drowned because they chose the wrong date or stayed too long or whatever, it's become an organised event that can be closely supervised and cancelled if circumstances change.  And of course that has attracted all the peripheral activity that organised events usually do on the Isle of Man: commercial sponsors, people doing things in costume, people with dogs, charity sponsorship etc etc.  There's probably a raffle.

But basically it's because of tides.

The tide this evening was .32’m in Douglas.

It was lower yesterday morning and evening at .29 and .26 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The fact that people have “liked” this, is really quite disturbing.

It was safer yesterday than it was today.  The tide was lower 🙄

Edited by Anthony Ingham

Since they put in the access road road to install the landing pier (due to health a safety access fears) when people go to change a lamp. Load of bollock's,it is easier to walk to than navigating the pothole strewn roads these days. Old days you had to walk on the sewer pipe as it was not dry all the way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

You will need to explain.

The “community event” means standing around and lining up, and not having the ability to explore the place properly when you get there because it’s full of other people.

You can go there safely and pretty much on your own many times in a year, in fact at least 8 this week.

I don’t get the attraction, which is why I asked the question.

The “community event “ aspect of it all means you get a chance to meet like minded people, have a chat etc. People are attracted to events like this for those reasons. Plus of course at such an organised event ( say like fireworks on November 5th) provision is made for any emergency contingencies. As pointed out visiting the Tower can be slippy. 

By all means make your own arrangements for a trek out to the rock. But should things turn out a bit wrong and you require the assistance of the emergency services ( including the RNLI ) I trust you would recompense them for any financial expenses incurred, and a bit on top for the inconvenience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

The “community event “ aspect of it all means you get a chance to meet like minded people, have a chat etc. People are attracted to events like this for those reasons. Plus of course at such an organised event ( say like fireworks on November 5th) provision is made for any emergency contingencies. As pointed out visiting the Tower can be slippy. 

By all means make your own arrangements for a trek out to the rock. But should things turn out a bit wrong and you require the assistance of the emergency services ( including the RNLI ) I trust you would recompense them for any financial expenses incurred, and a bit on top for the inconvenience.

That is rubbish.

The fireworks happen once a year at a set time.

Walking to the tower of refuge is doable several times a year, like yesterday, twice, when the tide was lower.