Manx Rally

2 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Why?

Whats inconsistent about it?

Investing in something that might have a good future and benefit the wider economy is good.

Handing out money to one particular industry, or throwing good money after bad into poorly run businesses is bad.  I don’t see how that shows inconsistency?

In fact, money boosting sporting events actually benefits hospitality anyway.

A certain high profile rally driver said a few years back (about ten) that the Manx Rally at the time was streets ahead of most WRC events. 

We have available c.6,500 bedspaces, plus homestay and camping, so we fulfill one of @PhatTog's suggested requirements. Liverpool Airport, or Manchester are both close, however Ronaldsway is supposed to be capable of handling larger aircraft than we currently support? 

The big question is organisation, whilst there are some capable people here, I feel they would need the MSA to oversee the whole thing? Calling for marshals etc the night before wouldn't go down well with the FIA and WRC organisers. Having said that, I think they would be inundated with UK volunteers for such a high profile event.   

If we are serious about tourism and supporting hospitality, big events are really the only way, unless we suddenly come up with another earth shattering attraction, and I can't even imagine what that could be?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

Having lost the round of the BRC, we will struggle to get anywhere near the requisite rules for a WRC event

Build slowly

Regular well attended Clubman events

BRC

IRC

WRC

Never say never - little acorns and all that.

I'm guessing we couldn't just go balls out and host a Group B festival.  Of course not racing (but maybe a little bit). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'm guessing we couldn't just go balls out and host a Group B festival.  Of course not racing (but maybe a little bit). 

I’m in as long as a get to select and drive the 0 car, and get paid for it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

A certain high profile rally driver said a few years back (about ten) that the Manx Rally at the time was streets ahead of most WRC events. 

We have available c.6,500 bedspaces, plus homestay and camping, so we fulfill one of @PhatTog's suggested requirements. Liverpool Airport, or Manchester are both close, however Ronaldsway is supposed to be capable of handling larger aircraft than we currently support? 

The big question is organisation, whilst there are some capable people here, I feel they would need the MSA to oversee the whole thing? Calling for marshals etc the night before wouldn't go down well with the FIA and WRC organisers. Having said that, I think they would be inundated with UK volunteers for such a high profile event.   

If we are serious about tourism and supporting hospitality, big events are really the only way, unless we suddenly come up with another earth shattering attraction, and I can't even imagine what that could be?

I haven't been able to find anything confirming the hotel beds number but the problem with Liverpool or Manchester airports relative to the Isle of Man, is the Irish Sea!  It needs to be Ronaldsway if it can handle the appropriate air traffic.  There is a requirement for the host to provide 10,000 square metres of hard standing for the service park.  I suspect this would mean either behind the grandstand or at Jurby.  Does either place have that space available? 

What I did find out is that the Irish bid for a WRC round seems to be well under way, subject to the Irish government fronting something like 15 million euros to support the bid.  The reason the UK doesn't have a round anymore is that the Welsh (where the event had been based since 2000 if I'm not mistaken) wouldn't allocate that kind of money any more.  There is a tentative bid from Scotland that is in the early stages but the WRC seems to limited to 14 rounds and the thinking is tha if the Irish bid succeeds, then the UK doesn't need one.

So, to stand a chance of hosting a WRC round, the Manx govt would have to put up around £15 million as well as meeting the other criteria, and assuming neither Ireland or Scotland succeed in their bids.  By the way, this outlay gets you 3 years - it's not a permanent fixture.

There is a European championship but there's a Welsh bid being formed for that I believe, so there will be competition even for the next level down.  I've been away from rallying for a bit so I don't know if there are any potential openings within the British championship.