Noisy Cars

Max Power

34 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I was in Berlin a few years ago and there were a load of 'boy' racers dragging these and Audis. Ironically it sounded like the battle of Britain.

Every major European city has what German police calls Autoposer. They have special units to go after them. Most often AMGs driven by the same type male. Usually not their own car. Often rented or leased between multiple people and then being driven around town like they had a lobotomy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I was in Berlin a few years ago and there were a load of 'boy' racers dragging these and Audis. Ironically it sounded like the battle of Britain.

Were they all crying and got sent home?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There is some complete wanker been driving around Castletown and presumably other places in this stupid tiny little blue car that might be a fiat panda with a ridiculous rumbling exhaust that screams 'look at me I'm a giant dickhead'. 

He may just have installed an active exhaust audio system. It sounds fucking bonkers, (and it is obvs), but it is an actual thing. I've seen and heard a few of them now. There's a tranny knocking about Douglas with one. Various settings on them, but he tends to use a lightly muffled large capacity V8. It's the automotive equivalent of lip filler. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

sporty exhaust on a sporty car will make a difference to power. Its all about making the exit of gases more efficient and less restricted. Together with getting more air and fuel into the engine, through less restrictive air filters and tinkering with the ECU and fuel pump/injectors.

Not always - turbos require back pressure. I owned a Mitsubishi Evo for a while, and a less restrictive exhaust would've lowered the power output because there would've been less back pressure for the turbine.

14 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Not always - turbos require back pressure. I owned a Mitsubishi Evo for a while, and a less restrictive exhaust would've lowered the power output because there would've been less back pressure for the turbine.

True.  A turbo is easier to get easy big gains by tuning the ECU.

17 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

He may just have installed an active exhaust audio system. It sounds fucking bonkers, (and it is obvs), but it is an actual thing. I've seen and heard a few of them now. There's a tranny knocking about Douglas with one. Various settings on them, but he tends to use a lightly muffled large capacity V8. It's the automotive equivalent of lip filler. 

Some of the 'performance' diesels have these as standard from the factory too.  They go like stink, but sound terrible as standard unless the 'active audio' exhaust is working. 

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

with the right number of cylinders (which is 8, by the way) 

You mean 12? 

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

You mean 12? 

I do love a V12, and I miss the V12 F1 era a lot (almost as much as I miss the V10 F1 era!) but V8s sound better. More thud thud thud.