Isle of Man Civil Servants

Last Ten

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You can listen to her rather feeble excuses here:

https://intranet.tynwald.org.im/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202401-1369a.mp3

Apparently the "very small climate team" of only ten people have been "very much caught up in the last month with the logistics and installation"[1] of GAIA and so far too busy to put a "communications plan into place" to publish a report that seems to have been already completed for many months.

[1]  Note that this doesn't imply they've been doing anything as vulgar as the logistics or installation themselves.

Nice find, you couldn’t make it up, the team of 10 went to work to play, what a total farcical Gov we have.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  Note that this doesn't imply they've been doing anything as vulgar as the logistics or installation themselves.

Perhaps they could have assembled a team of "Upland Rangers" to do that sort of menial stuff...

10 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

How do you know that?

1. He's been utterly useless. 2. He made an explicit promise before being elected and then did a complete volte face. 3. Many of those who voted for him will have died by the next election. 4. Everyone now knows for sure just how bad he is and there'll be no benefit of the doubt next time. 5. I live in the constituency and I know what current public opinion is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Apparently the "very small climate team" of only ten people have been "very much caught up in the last month with the logistics and installation"[1] of GAIA and so far too busy to put a "communications plan into place" to publish a report that seems to have been already completed for many months.

It's quite staggering how disconnected some government departments are from reality.  Taxes have increased and all government service fees increased by at least 25% and we still have a whole team spending weeks virtue signalling under a globe.

Did we have to pay for this to be transported and installed?  I know ortsted were involved.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

1. He's been utterly useless. 2. He made an explicit promise before being elected and then did a complete volte face. 3. Many of those who voted for him will have died by the next election. 4. Everyone now knows for sure just how bad he is and there'll be no benefit of the doubt next time. 5. I live in the constituency and I know what current public opinion is.

I agree, a friend of mine lives in the constituency too and believes the Green Goddess is more interested in saving the planet and everyone buying an electric car rather than dealing with issues that are important to her constituents, which is ironic really she is a big supporter of the Steam Railway who can’t run without coal. I rest my case.

3 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

I thought you were referring to Tim Johnston for a moment 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Last Ten said:

I agree, a friend of mine lives in the constituency too and believes the Green Goddess is more interested in saving the planet and everyone buying an electric car rather than dealing with issues that are important to her constituents, which is ironic really she is a big supporter of the Steam Railway who can’t run without coal. I rest my case.

That's interesting, I didn't know she was a steam railway supporter.  Could this be why she's been kicking the sistra report down the road because it recommends moving to a single track and ending in Laxey?

9 hours ago, cissolt said:

It's quite staggering how disconnected some government departments are from reality.  Taxes have increased and all government service fees increased by at least 25% and we still have a whole team spending weeks virtue signalling under a globe.

Did we have to pay for this to be transported and installed?  I know ortsted were involved.

To be honest I got the impression that it was a hastily-made up excuse that Caine had been fed for her team's not releasing the report that Thomas was asking for.  Apart from anything else once the exhibition was set up and open on 20 April all the logistics and publicity would have been long sorted (even assuming they had much to do with it) and the ten of them would have been free to undertake the onerous task of uploading a report they've had for many months onto the internet. 

This wasn't even the only much-delayed report that Thomas asked about in Keys and I suspect there are other reasons for the delay of all these, possibly that releasing them would actually force the government to do something, which both Cannan and his civil service controllers thing would be a dreadful imposition.

In fact I was actually surprised how little the Climate Change team had to do with GAIA.  It seemed to be run by volunteers from the Church and the special events were organised by St Thomas's or the Manx Wildlife Trust.  You would have thought it would have been the ideal opportunity to educate people and discuss what the government was going to do about things and there would be loads of associated workshops and seminars and the rest.   

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

That's interesting, I didn't know she was a steam railway supporter.  Could this be why she's been kicking the sistra report down the road because it recommends moving to a single track and ending in Laxey?

the track to laxey is all electric, nothing to do with steam

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It’s startling how confidently she can read out a prepared statement (written, no doubt by a member of the climate team who have been too busy to do anything other than the GAIA for the last two months), compared with the umms and errs of the waffle in response to Thomas’ follow-up. 
The Climate Team were either too busy to brief DC properly, or consider any supplementary questions in advance and/or DC was too busy to fully prepare either. Roger Mexico is, of course, right in his description of this as feeble, but this typifies the whole approach to questions in Tynwald. Chris Thomas is well intentioned no doubt, but I am reminded of the Dennis Healy parliamentary quote about “being savaged by a dead sheep”. 
The Climate Team smoke and mirrors is worthy of proper exposure. 10 people flouncing around at our expense, delivering little tangible benefit. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, joebean said:

The Climate Team smoke and mirrors is worthy of proper exposure. 10 people flouncing around at our expense, delivering little tangible benefit. 

There's a lot more than 10 doing that in DEFA...

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 3:17 PM, Last Ten said:

No managerial leadership in every CS department, HR at IOM Gov are a disaster, just look how they recently overpaid Civil Servants 500K. Mrs Lord Brennan said she was looking into that one but it will no doubt be forgotten about! and No I am not a Civil Servant Lol.

I agree it’s shocking especially as they still have around 70 people in HR most of whom seem to be completely incompetent when compared against private sector levels of expectation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Maverick said:

I agree it’s shocking especially as they still have around 70 people in HR most of whom seem to be completely incompetent when compared against private sector levels of expectation. 

Don't forget, only a short while ago we were informed that they needed another 54...