Lady Bishop of Sodor & Mann

As you say she gets paid by the church via York so surely she should be attending to church business ?    And if as someone else says she need not hang around when bills are discussed just turn up to vote she will not have the knowledge to give her support  or otherwise.    We have all seen the damage Justin Welby has done with his constant interfering .

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To put it more bluntly, it is from a time when religion was used to control the population through fear and the threat of eternal damnation. 

Not really.  It's more to do with the way that the Bishop and other religious appointments were nominated by the Lords of Mann[1] and so were seen as part of the way the Lords governed the Island and thus part of LegCo who were the people who did this.  It was probably the temporal power of the Bishop and Clergy that the people were more worried out than their spiritual control.  

[1]  The Derbys/Atholls appointed the Bishop and other office holders up until the 19th century.  The last was in 1814 when the 4th Duke put his nephew into the post, having kept it vacant until he was 30 and so old enough to be a Bishop.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To put it more bluntly, it is from a time when religion was used to control the population through fear and the threat of eternal damnation. 

Most of which was in the name of the Monarch of the day, especially tolls & tithes... If they hadn't got your heart then they would certainly get your money or it was paid pay for in other ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

As you say she gets paid by the church via York so surely she should be attending to church business ?    And if as someone else says she need not hang around when bills are discussed just turn up to vote she will not have the knowledge to give her support  or otherwise.    We have all seen the damage Justin Welby has done with his constant interfering .

The damage Welby has done? Here's a bit from the Spectator: 

When he was appointed, the assumption among many Tories was that Welby – an Old Etonian and a former oil executive – was one of them. It hasn’t really worked out that way. Welby has criticised benefit reforms, zero-hours contracts, the tax system, a ‘broken’ economic model and the government’s immigration policy. He is one of the major critics of the Safety of Rwanda Bill, arguing in the House of Lords that the deportation policy is ‘immoral and cruel’. Conservative MPs have variously accused him of sounding as if he’s a Labour campaigner, of meddling in politics when he should be worrying about falling church attendance, and of ‘preaching from the pulpit’.

‘There’s a lot of what the government says which I entirely agree with… We must limit access to our borders’

This last comment particularly amused Welby. It came from the Tory backbencher Jonathan Gullis in 2022. ‘I don’t think un-elected bishops in the House of Lords should be preaching about politics,’ he said. ‘I sadly think that there are too many people using the pulpit to preach from.’ He was upset that 25 senior bishops, including Welby, had written a letter opposing the Rwanda deportation plan. Welby responded in a tweet: ‘Always grateful for feedback – look forward to advice on what we should be doing in the pulpit.’ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

I don’t remember any of our previous Bishops coming to the Island six months before they took the post up on a charm offensive which this obviously is to try and swing votes.

But the Bishop's vote wasn't being debated then.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I don’t remember any of our previous Bishops coming to the Island six months before they took the post up on a charm offensive which this obviously is to try and swing votes.

Actually it seems to be the standard way of doing things.  Here's the last one, Peter Eagles, "meeting Lieutenant Governor Sir Richard Gozney at Government House and government ministers" in May 2017 on the day his appointment was announced and the press releases sent out.  Consecration and then installation take place later, sometimes many months later (Eagles' installation was in September), but they seem to start the meeting and greeting straight away.

Interestingly they don't take up their LegCo post till they have been 'installed', Eagles didn't appear in Tynwald till October.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

The last four did. Perhaps you missed them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bishop-designate-says-having-a-vote-may-aid-transparency/

Hillas says in the interview:

"... that's what democracy is about, and that's what the role of the Bishop in Tynwald is about..."

Democracy, noun:

" a system of government in which the people of a country can vote to elect their representative"

Hypocrite, noun:

"a person whose behaviour does not meet the moral standards or match the opinions that they claim to have"

[Although, in her favour, I might point out that her moral standards do not meet the standards expected of Tynwald - she is a bit above that. Except for wanting a vote without being elected.]

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

They melted and greeted but did not give interviews on MR or to the press as I remember.

You didn't even remember them them coming here, though, did you? Let alone melting.

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bishop-designate-says-having-a-vote-may-aid-transparency/

Hillas says in the interview:

"... that's what democracy is about, and that's what the role of the Bishop in Tynwald is about..."

Democracy, noun:

" a system of government in which the people of a country can vote to elect their representative"

Hypocrite, noun:

"a person whose behaviour does not meet the moral standards or match the opinions that they claim to have"

[Although, in her favour, I might point out that her moral standards do not meet the standards expected of Tynwald - she is a bit above that. Except for wanting a vote without being elected.]

Wanker, a selective quoter?

It also reported, which you did not, Bishop Tricia says ultimately this decision should rest with the Manx public, 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Wanker, a selective quoter?

Which do you intend to be the worst insult? It is not clear to me.

7 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

It also reported, which you did not, Bishop Tricia says ultimately this decision should rest with the Manx public,

Well, if Bish Trish thinks the decision should rest with the Manx public, there will have to be another referendum.

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Which do you intend to be the worst insult? It is not clear to me.

Well, if Bish Trish thinks the decision should rest with the Manx public, there will have to be another referendum.

I'd combine them : assisted death for LegCo?

• Like 1