The General Election in the United Kingdom

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Why have you got such a downer on Gordon Brown?

Is it simply because he's Labour?

I am talking about the electorates views in 2010, not my own. You seem to have forgotten that Gordon Brown's leadership was under intense scrutiny following a major defeat - and he eventually announced his intention to resign in 2010 which at the time complicated the negotiations. Then came the huge leftward policy shifts under Milliband and then Corbyn.

I think the Liberal Democrats made the right choice at the time...they got many concessions as I mentioned above, but yes, compromise in a coalition means you can't have your cake and eat it. Had for example the public signed up for dumping First Past The Post voting in the 2011 referendum - the UK political landscape and financials might likely be very very different today. 

52 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I am talking about the electorates views in 2010, not my own. You seem to have forgotten that Gordon Brown's leadership was under intense scrutiny following a major defeat - and he eventually announced his intention to resign in 2010 which at the time complicated the negotiations. Then came the huge leftward policy shifts under Milliband and then Corbyn.

As far as Brown's leadership goes the tory right wing press ridiculously tried to shift as much blame as they could for the global crisis onto him - and it worked. Which is why his true role in sorting out the mess goes largely forgotten...

Then the lesson from Blair and Brown, that UK elections are won by holding the centre ground, were cast aside by Labour and Corbyn led them into the unelectable wilderness...

That's how the UK ended up with the worst administration in living memory and probably forever...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As far as Brown's leadership goes the tory right wing press ridiculously tried to shift as much blame as they could for the global crisis onto him - and it worked. Which is why his true role in sorting out the mess goes largely forgotten...

...and, speaking of the right wing press...

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And as far as I know ( may be wrong) you didn’t have a vote in the Brexit referendum but seem very exercised by it!

Actually I did have a vote and as I have posted many times on that thread, I was directly impacted both in business and personal terms.  Neither of which were remotely positive.

The point I was making about Ed Davey is if his campaign increases the Lib Dems share of the vote then it doesn't matter whether or not you liked it.  Enough people do to vote for him.

They're not quite on Starmer like they were with Blair. There did at least seem to be some kind of hope and unity with the 97 election, it was 'lets elect these guys' this one is simply 'get those crooks out of power'. No one really supports Starmer, there's nothing to support. Which might actually be a good thing for the country on the whole. He doesn't seem to be a raving egomaniac for a start. Bland professionalism after a wild few years.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They're not quite on Starmer like they were with Blair. There did at least seem to be some kind of hope and unity with the 97 election, it was 'lets elect these guys' this one is simply 'get those crooks out of power'. No one really supports Starmer, there's nothing to support. Which might actually be a good thing for the country on the whole. He doesn't seem to be a raving egomaniac for a start. Bland professionalism after a wild few years.

Best of a bad lot, to be honest for me