The General Election in the United Kingdom

On 6/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Might have been useful to have heard the rest of what she had to say for context. 

What "context" could there possibly be...?

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Farage standing in Clacton. 24k majority to overcome...probably let Labour slip in IMO.

@Albert Tatlock

Don't forget their main policy plank is our old friend "immigration" which Sunak has failed to "fix" shall we say.

After all, it worked in the referendum...

28 minutes ago, P.K. said:

He was also on the last QT which really confirmed for me that the tory placemen have totally emasculated the BBC.

The Tories want wall to wall coverage for Farage on the BBC?

On 6/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Might have been useful to have heard the rest of what she had to say for context. 

The clip cuts her off when she is mid sentence.

What is so terrible about the Equality Act, the Human Rights Act and the Climate change Act?

The Equality Act, in case you didn't know,  replaced numerous other bits of legislation such as the Sex Discrimination Act, the Disability Discrimination Act etc.

If she wanted to attack Tony Blair then the Iraq war would surely be the starting point.  

Blair, however,  last much longer than a lettuce and didn't tank the economy. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

The BBC is fucking obsessed with Farage. Newsnight yet again last week, and now he’s all over their news website. I reckon he’s got dirt on someone there. 

That's been a large part of the problem.   Why is Farage given so much air time compared to the leaders of the other fringe parties in the UK? 

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

That's been a large part of the problem.   Why is Farage given so much air time compared to the leaders of the other fringe parties in the UK? 

He’s the supreme self publicist. He’s a narcissist and exploits his position as bogeyman supreme to the hilt.

41 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

He’s one of the most successful politicians ever. You may not like his politics, and everything JW says may be true, but you can’t deny he’s popular generally, and singlehandedly got Brexit through. 

And no, I’m not a fanboy, just saying how it is. In comparison, what have the joint leaders of The Greens ever done, and does anyone even know who they are? Ditto all the other fringe parties. 

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

He’s one of the most successful politicians ever.

He's failed to be elected as an MP 7 (seven) times.

He's one of the most successful grifters ever.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

What is so terrible about the Equality Act, the Human Rights Act and the Climate change Act?

The Equality Act, in case you didn't know,  replaced numerous other bits of legislation such as the Sex Discrimination Act, the Disability Discrimination Act etc.

If she wanted to attack Tony Blair then the Iraq war would surely be the starting point.  

Blair, however,  last much longer than a lettuce and didn't tank the economy. 

Well exactly but we never got to hear her thoughts about these Acts because she was cut off mid sentence ( deliberately perhaps methinks)to dupe gullible unquestioning people.

She doesn’t say in the clip they were bad Acts because she was cut off at a particular point. 

So some have taken it that this was what she was saying. Perhaps that is what the editor of this clip wanted you to believe.

Without hearing the full statement it’s impossible to know. Like I said I there is no context without hearing the full statement.

Im no fan of hers but everyone deserves a fair hearing and not to be misrepresented ( if that is indeed the case)

Suggest you listen and watch again

Edited by The Voice of Reason

I wouldn't put it quite as strongly as Wrighty but Farage has been important in setting the political winds over the last decade and it looks like this is going to continue. 

Splitting the right wing vote will have big consequences. 

I'm not a fan of populist nationalism, I'm a liberal internationalist but there can be no doubt Farage's brand of right wing nativism chimes with a certain section of the electoral who feel ignored by both the Tories and Labour. 

Boris understood that, but most patrician elitist (which ironically they see as meritocratic) Tories couldn't relate to the man in the pub any better than Stammer. 

Politics is a contact sport and the Tories are between a rock and a hard place at the moment!

• Like 1