The General Election in the United Kingdom

On 5/31/2024 at 9:46 PM, woolley said:

You think it was just Leave voters doing that? I suggest to you that most Leave voters know EXACTLY what the EU is.

8 Years of listening of callers with Brexit Delusion Syndrome (BDS) on LBC who have no idea what EU law they are looking forward to not having to follow, no idea what the Good Friday Agreement is or how it functions, how the UK government or judicial system works or are even able to agree what Leave actually means, would indicate that most Leave voters didn't have the slightest clue what they were voting for.

On 6/1/2024 at 12:37 PM, hoopsaa said:

OK, so why shouldn't we have a greater say in the decisions? 

Mob rule driven by the ill informed and emotive driven decisions prompted by private individuals with financial stakes (i.e. Brexit and the gutter right wing press).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well exactly but we never got to hear her thoughts about these Acts because she was cut off mid sentence ( deliberately perhaps methinks)to dupe gullible unquestioning people.

She doesn’t say in the clip they were bad Acts because she was cut off at a particular point. 

So some have taken it that this was what she was saying. Perhaps that is what the editor of this clip wanted you to believe.

Without hearing the full statement it’s impossible to know. Like I said I there is no context without hearing the full statement.

Im no fan of hers but everyone deserves a fair hearing and not to be misrepresented ( if that is indeed the case)

Suggest you listen and watch again

It looks like the original is here;  https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24358705.liz-truss-not-worst-prime-minister-ever/ 

You need to sign up to access the video which I cannot be bothered to do but others can knock themselves out. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

He’s one of the most successful politicians ever. You may not like his politics, and everything JW says may be true, but you can’t deny he’s popular generally, and singlehandedly got Brexit through. 

And no, I’m not a fanboy, just saying how it is. In comparison, what have the joint leaders of The Greens ever done, and does anyone even know who they are? Ditto all the other fringe parties. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

He's failed to be elected as an MP 7 (seven) times.

He's one of the most successful grifters ever.

I tend to agree with @TheTeapot.  Seven times he has stood for election as an MEP and he has failed seven times.

Arguably he had some success with UKIP in becoming an MEP but those elections were generally really low turnout because the British public didn't understand that MEP's could actually influence EU legislation.  Even then Farage continually did the bare minimum in that role and failed to turn up to sessions which had an impact on British fisheries etc.

47 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

8 Years of listening of callers with Brexit Delusion Syndrome (BDS) on LBC who have no idea what EU law they are looking forward to not having to follow, no idea what the Good Friday Agreement is or how it functions, how the UK government or judicial system works or are even able to agree what Leave actually means, would indicate that most Leave voters didn't have the slightest clue what they were voting for.

Well don’t listen to it if it winds you up that much.

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I tend to agree with @TheTeapot.  Seven times he has stood for election as an MEP and he has failed seven times.

Arguably he had some success with UKIP in becoming an MEP but those elections were generally really low turnout because the British public didn't understand that MEP's could actually influence EU legislation.  Even then Farage continually did the bare minimum in that role and failed to turn up to sessions which had an impact on British fisheries etc.

Farage and the UKIP MEP had the worst attendance by a full 15% compared to the next lowest party.

Farage was more than happy to milk the system and walk away with a pension while doing sweet FA.

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Well don’t listen to it if it winds you up that much.

Oh it doesn't wind me up.  Quite the opposite, I feel compassion for the conned, contempt for the conman.

It is an interesting insight to how certain demographics are influenced by certain media outlets, and a glowing example of how easy it is to sway opinion using populist talking points.

Like Trump said "I love the uneducated", and it shows both in the UK and across the pond. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wrighty said:

He’s one of the most successful politicians ever. You may not like his politics, and everything JW says may be true, but you can’t deny he’s popular generally, and singlehandedly got Brexit through. 

Single-handedly? Him, Dominic Cummins, Tommy Robinson, and 30 years of untrue headlines from the daily mail, express, and telegraph.

Edited by Mr. Sausages
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think it’s fair to say there would have been no Brexit without Farage.

Yes...but given the low margin of the 'Yes' vote, that could be said about quite a few other individuals involved too. 

Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly enough, but the fact that we're all discussing him means to me he is an important and therefore successful politician. Can't imagine a similar debate over the green leader, whoever that is. 

He might be a grifter, he may have failed to get elected 7 times, but I guarantee that when he speaks, Sunak and Starmer are listening. 

• Like 2

Interesting that the bookies have 'Reform' as the likely winners in Clacton where Farage is standing.

I still see a split vote personally and Labour sneaking it. But we are not living through normal times in this election.

"Anything can happen in the next 30 days..."

MV5BOTM3ODI5ODU2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDE3ODU1MjE@._V1_.jpg