The General Election in the United Kingdom

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly enough, but the fact that we're all discussing him means to me he is an important and therefore successful politician. Can't imagine a similar debate over the green leader, whoever that is. 

He might be a grifter, he may have failed to get elected 7 times, but I guarantee that when he speaks, Sunak and Starmer are listening. 

Successful at self-promotion absolutely.  Definitely not a successful politician.  @The Voice of Reason gives him far too much credit for Brexit when in fact it was multiple people and organisations that led to that.  I would suggest the ERG, Daily Mail, and Boris Johnson (when making up news stories in Brussels as a journalist) also played a significant role in getting a referendum. 

I would suggest that Nigel Farage is simply a more successful and refined version of Nick Griffin.  

(I have seen elsewhere that @The Voice of Reason states that the British public grasped the opportunity with both hands to leave the EU.  I would argue it was more grasped in one hand and the tip of a finger from the other.  The result was 52/48 remember both hands would have been 100% in favour of leaving).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly enough, but the fact that we're all discussing him means to me he is an important and therefore successful politician. Can't imagine a similar debate over the green leader, whoever that is. 

You spelled "self serving populist demagogue grifter" wrong. (/joke)

But in all seriousness, he is certainly successful in terms of media exposure (and making money from that exposure).

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think it’s fair to say there would have been no Brexit without Farage.

If so then he has a great deal to answer for...

Farage is a complete fraud.

He used to turn up at Brussells and despite what was being debated he would get up on his hind legs and harangue the assembled running down the EU and all the rest of his bollox etc etc. Of course it was all filmed by his acolytes. Then he would scuttle back to the UK and upload it on his website. All his terminally stupid followers would watch it and no doubt exclaim "Cor! He ain't half givin' them what for!" and so forth well pleased. Farage would be well pleased as well as he harvested the £clickbait.

It made me laugh to see Farage + fishermen sailing up the Thames. Farage was supposed to represent them at the EU Fisheries Committee. Attendance record? Just 1 meeting out of 42... He still took their money though...

A decent society would have binned him off years ago. Especially after his disgusting "Breaking Point" poster and it's message that just couldn't have been clearer.

As a country the UK is in a terrible state, no question, and revolting people like Farage are to blame...

Farage is only considering running for two reasons:

1) Now Trump has been convicted, Farage's hopes of US association has evaporated.

2) His GeeBeeBees slot is under threat because the "News" outlet has hit £75+ million in debt and already hit by redundancies.

57 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Farage is only considering running for two reasons:

1) Now Trump has been convicted, Farage's hopes of US association has evaporated.

2) His GeeBeeBees slot is under threat because the "News" outlet has hit £75+ million in debt and already hit by redundancies.

3) His ego could not take the criticism that Piers Morgan gave him on QT

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-bbc-newsnight-brexit-failed-b2339654.html

“Brexit has failed”. N Farage. The successful person responsible for it, apparently.

Has it though? FTSE is doing ok. GBP/EUR rate has been steady since the crash in early 2009 (apart from a mad spike in 2015 prior to the Brexit vote). Economy is doing ok. If the people moaning about it put half as much energy into getting on with it, the UK would be in an even better situation. 
That said, the Conservatives need to go! 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Has it though? FTSE is doing ok. GBP/EUR rate has been steady since the crash in early 2009 (apart from a mad spike in 2015 prior to the Brexit vote). Economy is doing ok. If the people moaning about it put half as much energy into getting on with it, the UK would be in an even better situation. 
That said, the Conservatives need to go! 

Ah the tried and tested "Its not that Brexit was a bad idea brought about by morons and charlatans, we just didn't believe hard enough".

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Imagine how well we’d have done in the eu if the people moaning about it had put as much energy into wah wah wah

I would love to know what the people on the fishing ships that went up the Thames with him think about him now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Ah the tried and tested "Its not that Brexit was a bad idea brought about by morons and charlatans, we just didn't believe hard enough".

Really? So, if the stock market is ok, the currency is ok,  the economy is ok. What are you using as a measure of how bad brexit for the country? 

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Really? So, if the stock market is ok, the currency is ok,  the economy is ok. What are you using as a measure of how bad brexit for the country? 

The magic line on the exchange has squarely fuck all relevance to any individual's life or how well the country is serving them.

34 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The magic line on the exchange has squarely fuck all relevance to any individual's life or how well the country is serving them.

So, answer the question.