The General Election in the United Kingdom

22 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Farage standing in Clacton. 24k majority to overcome...probably let Labour slip in IMO.

Tories got 31k

Labour 6k

So Labour would need to pick up thousands of votes even if there's an even split.

But there's the broader idea that he's eyeing up the election after this. Labour landslide ... Tory collapse ... the political spectrum reforms with a new Republican style right party vs a centre left Labour party.

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Has it though? FTSE is doing ok. GBP/EUR rate has been steady since the crash in early 2009 (apart from a mad spike in 2015 prior to the Brexit vote). Economy is doing ok. If the people moaning about it put half as much energy into getting on with it, the UK would be in an even better situation. 
That said, the Conservatives need to go! 

The day before the referendum the exchange rate was:

22/6/2016      £1   =   EUR 1.3056    USD 1.4795 and the other day it was

1/6/2024        £1   =   EUR 1.1732     USD 1.2737

Sterling down                     11%                 15%

So when you mean "steady" you mean as in "steadily in decline" or similar.

Not good when you think our biggest trading partners are the EU and the USA...

Cue Wally Woolley and his usual dripping and moaning...

21 minutes ago, Declan said:

Tories got 31k

Labour 6k

So Labour would need to pick up thousands of votes even if there's an even split.

But there's the broader idea that he's eyeing up the election after this. Labour landslide ... Tory collapse ... the political spectrum reforms with a new Republican style right party vs a centre left Labour party.

He starts with 0 votes.

All depends on which votes collapse and go to him, and if the swing to Labour holds up as many suggest.

He is favourite, but given the polls I think him, Labour and the Conservatives may well end up broadly on similar numbers.

He's only perceived to be interested in national name calling...many voters there will not consider him to be a good constituency politician.

• Like 1

My point is however you split the Tory vote, one or both of the Torys and Farage will be ahead of them. Labour would need a swing to them as well of about 10K. 

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

My point is however you split the Tory vote, one or both of the Torys and Farage will be ahead of them. Labour would need a swing to them as well of about 10K. 

Understand your point, but IMO they only need a swing of about 4k or 5k if Farage splits the Conservative vote, not 10k.

36k votes split 3 ways is around 12k each.

So any of the 3 could likely sneak it.

Screenshot_20240604_191653_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The day before the referendum the exchange rate was:

22/6/2016      £1   =   EUR 1.3056    USD 1.4795 and the other day it was

1/6/2024        £1   =   EUR 1.1732     USD 1.2737

Sterling down                     11%                 15%

So when you mean "steady" you mean as in "steadily in decline" or similar.

Not good when you think our biggest trading partners are the EU and the USA...

Cue Wally Woolley and his usual dripping and moaning...

The euro rate the day before the referendum is irrelevant. It is the long term trend that is important. In my earlier post I mentioned the “mad spike” prior to the referendum. See 20+ year graph below.

IMG_0335.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Tories got 31k

Labour 6k

54 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Understand your point, but IMO they only need a swing of about 4k or 5k if Farage splits the Conservative vote, not 10k.

36k votes split 3 ways is around 12k each.

So any of the 3 could likely sneak it.

Screenshot_20240604_191653_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

He starts with 0 votes.

All depends on which votes collapse and go to him, and if the swing to Labour holds up as many suggest.

He is favourite, but given the polls I think him, Labour and the Conservatives may well end up broadly on similar numbers.

He's only perceived to be interested in national name calling...many voters there will not consider him to be a good constituency politician.

I think you’ve got to remember that Clacton 2024 has very different boundaries to Clacton in 2010, 2015, 2017 and 2019. 

between 1997 and 2010 it was part of Harwich constituency and held by Labour until 2005. It lost much of Harwich which was divided into Harwich & North Essex and Clacton, and became older, poorer, deprived and returned Conservative Cardwell, who defected to UKIP, he was replaced by Watling.

The new 2024 boundaries include more of Harwich and, of course, Jaywick, one of the most deprived areas in Britain. 

I can imagine the elderly, from Clacton and Frinton, and the dispossessed of Jaywick*, voting Brexit and UKIP or Tory, for an oven ready Brexit. But Brexit is now 8 years ago as a vote, and 4 years ago as a reality. Their lives have not been improved. Watling has been perceived as absent and ineffectual.

A Labour win was possible with the new boundaries. Farage will just peel of some of the older populist Tory votes, making a Labour win more likely.

* 32,000 people, 50% unemployment, many houses glorified beach huts and lacking basic amenities.

20 hours ago, woolley said:

The Tories want wall to wall coverage for Farage on the BBC?

20 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Lots of them do, yes. They want him as their party leader ultimately.

Bit vulgar for most of their tastes.

12 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

8 Years of listening of callers with Brexit Delusion Syndrome (BDS) on LBC who have no idea what EU law they are looking forward to not having to follow, no idea what the Good Friday Agreement is or how it functions, how the UK government or judicial system works or are even able to agree what Leave actually means, would indicate that most Leave voters didn't have the slightest clue what they were voting for.

Usual 'Brexit voters are thick' shtick from EU supporters who reckon that by contrast they are knowledgeable on the subject, but who invariably know little about it.

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly enough, but the fact that we're all discussing him means to me he is an important and therefore successful politician. Can't imagine a similar debate over the green leader, whoever that is. 

He might be a grifter, he may have failed to get elected 7 times, but I guarantee that when he speaks, Sunak and Starmer are listening. 

Exactly. He's a disruptor, and the EU certainly needed disrupting. If only for this his place in history is assured.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

As a country the UK is in a terrible state, no question, and revolting people like Farage are to blame...

You keep repeating this. Do you ever look at other countries? Yes, even EU countries? There's a lot of it about in the 2020s.

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

The magic line on the exchange has squarely fuck all relevance to any individual's life or how well the country is serving them.

But this is hitting people all over the world in the 2020s. Look a little further. Demographics, war, Covid, helicopter money in the wake of it all. There are decisions that can be taken at home to ameliorate some of this, but at least those decisions can be take at home.