The General Election in the United Kingdom

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

The day before the referendum the exchange rate was:

22/6/2016      £1   =   EUR 1.3056    USD 1.4795 and the other day it was

1/6/2024        £1   =   EUR 1.1732     USD 1.2737

Sterling down                     11%                 15%

So when you mean "steady" you mean as in "steadily in decline" or similar.

Not good when you think our biggest trading partners are the EU and the USA...

Cue Wally Woolley and his usual dripping and moaning...

And you know this because I must have corrected you a dozen times on it over the years, most recently in the past week.

In reality, cue woolley pointing out that in 2013, during our full EU membership, the pound was lower than it is today vs the euro, and in 2008 it traded around 1.06. I know because I was selling through the entire period in those days in the face of those exchange rates.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

The euro rate the day before the referendum is irrelevant. It is the long term trend that is important. In my earlier post I mentioned the “mad spike” prior to the referendum. See 20+ year graph below.

IMG_0335.png

It will make no difference. I've given facts to PK for years, but it's water off a duck's back.

53 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think you’ve got to remember that Clacton 2024 has very different boundaries to Clacton in 2010, 2015, 2017 and 2019. 

between 1997 and 2010 it was part of Harwich constituency and held by Labour until 2005. It lost much of Harwich which was divided into Harwich & North Essex and Clacton, and became older, poorer, deprived and returned Conservative Cardwell, who defected to UKIP, he was replaced by Watling.

The new 2024 boundaries include more of Harwich and, of course, Jaywick, one of the most deprived areas in Britain. 

I can imagine the elderly, from Clacton and Frinton, and the dispossessed of Jaywick*, voting Brexit and UKIP or Tory, for an oven ready Brexit. But Brexit is now 8 years ago as a vote, and 4 years ago as a reality. Their lives have not been improved. Watling has been perceived as absent and ineffectual.

A Labour win was possible with the new boundaries. Farage will just peel of some of the older populist Tory votes, making a Labour win more likely.

* 32,000 people, 50% unemployment, many houses glorified beach huts and lacking basic amenities.

Absolutely anything is possible. A win for any of the 3 would not be a surprise.

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes that’s great.

You and your mate Mr Sausages making light of someone being physically attacked.  

Fucking hilarious 

It was a bloody milkshake...  not even an egg!  

I don't remember many people sympathising with Prescott when he swung for someone who egged him.  Or was that because Prescott was the wrong type of Politician? 

Where is your outrage when MPs are threatened with actual violence in their constituency offices?  Often as a result of extremism stoked by people like Farage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

The euro rate the day before the referendum is irrelevant. It is the long term trend that is important. In my earlier post I mentioned the “mad spike” prior to the referendum. See 20+ year graph below.

@Cambon

Yes, I get it and always have done.

The point I am making, that for some reason you seem to be missing, is that time and again brexiteers point out that during the period from the referendum to the present time the whole planet suffered from circumstances that were very exceptional. Which is absolutely true. I certainly never expected a lethal pandemic nor did I ever expect Russian tanks to be rolling West intent on invasion! I'm sure nobody else did as well! However it's obvious to me that the reason they adopt this tactic is to create a smokesceen to protect their precious brexit from too much scrutiny.

Which is daft really as we all know that trade suffered, inflation was higher in the UK than elsewhere, we have massive debt, schools are falling down, the NHS is knackered and riven with dissent, record levels of taxation, record levels of child poverty, public services will have to be cut etc etc etc. Basically the UK is in a really shit state.

The figures for the period in question show that Sterling has fallen by 11% against the EURO and 15% against the USD. And this is where the "exceptional circumstances" count against the brexiteers. Because they were exceptional, and nobody would dispute that, what has gone on before that isn't that relevant. How could it be? Plus it's obvious from the numbers that our two biggest trading partners, the EU and the US, have come through those big hitters in much better shape than we have.

But then they didn't have a very exceptional act of economic self harm to cope with as well...

I'm sure there are loads of people who would like to throw a milkshake or worse at Farage for all kinds of reasons, but I'd suggest that young lady was doing it for money. Very staged.

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes that’s great.

You and your mate Mr Sausages making light of someone being physically attacked.  

Fucking hilarious 

Isn't it the left who are supposed to be snowflakes?

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It was a bloody milkshake...  not even an egg!  

I don't remember many people sympathising with Prescott when he swung for someone who egged him.  Or was that because Prescott was the wrong type of Politician? 

Where is your outrage when MPs are threatened with actual violence in their constituency offices?  Often as a result of extremism stoked by people like Farage.

It doesn’t matter what form the missile took. It was an assault. If I came up to you  unprovoked and threw a milkshake at you would you laugh it off, saying it wasn’t even an egg, Ha ha ha!

Anyone should be able to go about their business without being attacked. Or is it OK because you don’t agree with his politics?

Prescott actually got a lot of public support for fighting back when attacked ( from all sides) He may be the wrong sort of politician for you but most have the sense, whatever their politics to know what is right and what is wrong.

Finally, like all decent people I am outraged ( and more) when MP ‘s  ( of whatever political persuasion) are threatened with actual violence, be that in their constituency offices, or elsewhere. 

To try and attribute such incidents to “ people like Farage” is highly offensive, whatever you think of him

Nobody should try to make political capital from any sort of violence, from milkshake throwing   to knifing whatever your political leanings.

To do so is disgusting

Farage had no idea what was being thrown at him. He must have been aware that it could have been a noxious substance. 

I've no problem describing it as assault. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

If I'd have been anywhere near her, at the very least my milkshake would've been straight in her face three seconds later, with no hesitation whatsoever. 

The world will rest easy knowing there's a hard bloke like you around.

• Like 1