The General Election in the United Kingdom

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Predicting violence doesn’t equate to advocating violence

Erm... that's not really what he says.

He says, and I may paraphrase a bit, if people feel we have lost control of our borders, and we have, and if people feel that voting doesn't make a difference then violence is the next step.

That to some people will be interpreted as we have lost control of our borders and country.  Voting wont change anything.  The next step is violence. 

He may not exactly call for it but in that clip you can't say he is advocating against it either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chinahand said:

*For example as far as I'm aware he'd denounced the Riot at the US Congress on January 20th.

But sucking up to the orange turd that was both the cause of, the advocate for and potential benefactor of to the violence at the US Congress is not exactly "denouncing" either.

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I am an anti  abortion campaigner. I do not advocate violence but I appear on the media explaining why I think abortion is wrong ( that is my “ message”)

D- again, a weak attempt that skates the edge of the point.

Try again but your message is that "abortion is murder, and they are scooping babies out at 8 months with ice cream scoops and then selling the babies to big pharma to make cures for the super rich, and that God himself will smite you down if you condone abortion because you are evil.

You have the blood of millions of beauty babies on your hands because you condone murder and God commands that we do everything in our power to stop the evil that is murder."

There are no direct calls to action or murder, but if you were of a disposition that you could be influenced by such a message, especially if you occupy certain echo chambers, then violence is not a matter of if, but when.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woolley said:

This yet again. I do wonder whenever I see it whether those asserting it are foolish enough to believe it, or whether they think their readers are completely naive.

So one more time just for you. Sovereignty is everything. It embodies self-determination. It has been fought for over centuries and jealously guarded. It transcends all other considerations, however weighty.

One more time just for you.  We.  Had.  Sovereignty.  Already.

You are so invested in trying to make a Grand National winner out of the broken nag you invested your life savings into, you can see that they have already loaded it into the glue factory wagon.

"The seller told me it was a sure winner, I just had to believe hard enough and I would be stood in the winners circle in "insert length of time" years."

8 hours ago, HeliX said:

But if it still wasn't doing anything that was harming us then sovereignty is not a reason to leave. Because we can do that any time. Doing it when we only stand to lose, and not gain, is not sensible. It'd be classed as -EV by any gambler..

I've been telling them that for years but, of course, they have to skate over it.

The real irony is that an Ipsos-Mori poll the week before the referendum showed that for Leavers the issue first and foremost to vote out was (racism thinly disguised as) immigration at 62%. Their precious sovereignty, especially on here the pretend justification for the whole farrago, came in at just 12%.

No contest...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cambon said:

The majority of what you have said has been caused by a failing government. As I said earlier, time for a change. 
With regard to exchange rates, the biggest knock the pound took was during the banking crisis, caused by lying labour. The crisis was world wide but the deceit of Brown at the time caused the uk the biggest amount of harm, possibly of all time. Pound dropped to near par with the Euro. It is now up about 12% from there, and will continue to improve over the long term. 
With regard to international trade, the majority of problems have been with the EU who are still pissed off with the UK. They will be even more pissed off next year when the exit payments virtually stop. 
Inflation was going to happen regardless of Brexit. I was in the USA a couple of times in 2019. I couldn’t believe how expensive it was. I said at the time, UK is in for a shock. That was before the Covid debt was taken on. 

@Cambon

How very "Daily Mail" I have to say...

Brown's first action on becoming Chancellor was to give control of interest rates to the BoE to prevent the "Boom and Bust" economic "policy" of lowering interest rates purely to get re-elected. Starting with very sound move as per their manifesto.

The Labour government were definitely assisted by John Major's performance at the EU Summit at Maastricht. Coming away as he did with the best deal in the best trading bloc on the planet. Blair and Brown then presided over the longest period of year-on-year UK economic growth for over 200 years ended by the global crash.

After the crash and when the dust had settled Brown admitted "We set up the FSA [the City regulator] believing the problem would come from the failure of an individual institution. That was the big mistake.

"We didn't understand just how entangled things were."

Ed Balls added "In Britain, our government, our central bank and our regulator, like in America, in Germany and across the world, we just didn't get [bank regulation] right."

However I recall reading this back when it happened. Brown played a major part in dealing with the situation. It's well worth a read if you can put aside your very obvious prejudices of course...

The weekend Gordon Brown saved the banks from the abyss

The Prime Minister's leadership qualities were to the fore on the weekend in October 2008 when financial calamity was so close

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/feb/21/gordon-brown-saved-banks

I still maintain that I can choose any time period I like for a comparison. You and Woolley can drip and moan all you like but all you're actually doing is tinkering with the start line. Which you can change to make your own comparisons of course. Good luck with that one.

In the meantime more brexit bollox which occur all too often these days:

UK clothing sales to EU plummet as Brexit red tape deters exporters

Small and medium-sized firms badly hit as huge drop in apparel sales helps fuel 18% slide in all-non food exports

UK exports of clothing and footwear to the EU have dived since Brexit, according to a new study that shows the extent to which complex regulations and red tape at the border have deterred firms from sending goods across the Channel.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jun/05/uk-clothing-sales-eu-crash-brexit-red-tape-deters-exporters#:~:text=Exports of clothing and footwear sold to EU countries have,Economics and online marketplace Tradebyte.

Brexit - the gift that keeps on taking...

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No he’s not. There is nothing in that clip to suggest that.

"It’s legitimate to say that if people feel they’ve lost control completely, and we have lost control of our borders completely as members of the EU, and if people feel voting doesn’t change anything, then violence is the next step"

How are you not seeing this?  What Olympic level mental gymnastics are you achieving to not see this?

32 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

"It’s legitimate to say that if people feel they’ve lost control completely, and we have lost control of our borders completely as members of the EU, and if people feel voting doesn’t change anything, then violence is the next step"

How are you not seeing this?  What Olympic level mental gymnastics are you achieving to not see this?

I studied comprehension and I don’t let my prejudices influence my interpretation of what I am seeing or reading.

It’s  a statement not a call to arms

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I've been telling them that for years but, of course, they have to skate over it.

The real irony is that an Ipsos-Mori poll the week before the referendum showed that for Leavers the issue first and foremost to vote out was (racism thinly disguised as) immigration at 62%. Their precious sovereignty, especially on here the pretend justification for the whole farrago, came in at just 12%.

No contest...

So, the question for leavers asked in the poll was what is the issue that first and foremost causing you to vote out.

And one of the options was :

”(racism thinly disguised as) immigration “ ?

Seems a bit of a strange one. But if you say so.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I studied comprehension and I don’t let my prejudices influence my interpretation of what I am seeing or reading.

It’s  a statement not a call to arms

You may understand what he is saying but there will be plenty of others who won't. 

You know the type of people who do join the BNP, Britain First, who are racist and who may not have had the education you have.

• Like 1