The General Election in the United Kingdom

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I studied comprehension and I don’t let my prejudices influence my interpretation of what I am seeing or reading.

It’s  a statement not a call to arms

He’s laying the groundwork. Planting the seed. You only need a slight understanding of human nature to see it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

He says, and I may paraphrase a bit, if people feel we have lost control of our borders, and we have, and if people feel that voting doesn't make a difference then violence is the next step.

But didn't Nige tell us all along that Brexit would allow us to control our borders?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

But didn't Nige tell us all along that Brexit would allow us to control our borders?

He is very good at making promises he knows he won't keep, but is very bad at realising that people can look up said promises:

"If Brexit is a disaster I will go and live abroad. I will go and live somewhere else."

1 hour ago, RecklessAbandon said:

He is very good at making promises he knows he won't keep, but is very bad at realising that people can look up said promises:

"If Brexit is a disaster I will go and live abroad. I will go and live somewhere else."

If it ever is a disaster, no doubt that would be a different scenario, but it isn't and life goes on as normal for 95% of the population who have moved on. The disaster was confined to Project Fear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

One more time just for you.  We.  Had.  Sovereignty.  Already.

You are so invested in trying to make a Grand National winner out of the broken nag you invested your life savings into, you can see that they have already loaded it into the glue factory wagon.

"The seller told me it was a sure winner, I just had to believe hard enough and I would be stood in the winners circle in "insert length of time" years."

Yes, as I suspected, you know the real situation with the sovereignty deficit in the EU. Illuminating that you omit to quote the part of my answer that explains why this is, and merely repeat your original facile assertion which is baloney. You should be in politics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Quite possibly but that’s not Farage’s fault.

As a Politician he has (or should have) a responsibility to be mindful of how his messages are understood. 

Undoubtedly,  can be understood in two different ways.  One is perfectly legitimate,  the other in incitement to violence. 

Now we cannot know what his true intent was but he certainly, and bizarrely given his German wife, is against immigration. 

19 minutes ago, woolley said:

If it ever is a disaster, no doubt that would be a different scenario, but it isn't and life goes on as normal for 95% of the population who have moved on. The disaster was confined to Project Fear.

I probably wouldn't go as far as saying it's a complete disaster, but unsurprisingly it certainly isn't the golden utopia that was promised. 

My big question would be, ignoring the border/immigration thing, the other big pro that was promised would be the fact we wouldn't then be paying billions into the EU coffers.  Where's this money gone instead?  Doug and Michelle? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

My big question would be, ignoring the border/immigration thing, the other big pro that was promised would be the fact we wouldn't then be paying billions into the EU coffers.  Where's this money gone instead?  Doug and Michelle? 

In October 2021, the UK government's Office of Budget Responsibility calculated that Brexit would cost 4% of GDP per annum over the long term. 4% of 2021 UK GDP is the equivalent of a £32 billion cost per annum to the UK taxpayer. After rebates, the UK's EU membership fee in 2018 was £13.2 billion.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

As a Politician he has (or should have) a responsibility to be mindful of how his messages are understood. 

Undoubtedly,  can be understood in two different ways.  One is perfectly legitimate,  the other in incitement to violence. 

Now we cannot know what his true intent was but he certainly, and bizarrely given his German wife, is against immigration. 

Sounding more and more like Trump isn't he?

And obviously being a Politician, immigration rules are for other peoples' wives. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, woolley said:

Made up numbers are made up.

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

@Cambon

How very "Daily Mail" I have to say...

Brown's first action on becoming Chancellor was to give control of interest rates to the BoE to prevent the "Boom and Bust" economic "policy" of lowering interest rates purely to get re-elected. Starting with very sound move as per their manifesto.

The Labour government were definitely assisted by John Major's performance at the EU Summit at Maastricht. Coming away as he did with the best deal in the best trading bloc on the planet. Blair and Brown then presided over the longest period of year-on-year UK economic growth for over 200 years ended by the global crash.

After the crash and when the dust had settled Brown admitted "We set up the FSA [the City regulator] believing the problem would come from the failure of an individual institution. That was the big mistake.

"We didn't understand just how entangled things were."

Ed Balls added "In Britain, our government, our central bank and our regulator, like in America, in Germany and across the world, we just didn't get [bank regulation] right."

However I recall reading this back when it happened. Brown played a major part in dealing with the situation. It's well worth a read if you can put aside your very obvious prejudices of course...

The weekend Gordon Brown saved the banks from the abyss

The Prime Minister's leadership qualities were to the fore on the weekend in October 2008 when financial calamity was so close

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/feb/21/gordon-brown-saved-banks

I still maintain that I can choose any time period I like for a comparison. You and Woolley can drip and moan all you like but all you're actually doing is tinkering with the start line. Which you can change to make your own comparisons of course. Good luck with that one.

In the meantime more brexit bollox which occur all too often these days:

UK clothing sales to EU plummet as Brexit red tape deters exporters

Small and medium-sized firms badly hit as huge drop in apparel sales helps fuel 18% slide in all-non food exports

UK exports of clothing and footwear to the EU have dived since Brexit, according to a new study that shows the extent to which complex regulations and red tape at the border have deterred firms from sending goods across the Channel.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jun/05/uk-clothing-sales-eu-crash-brexit-red-tape-deters-exporters#:~:text=Exports of clothing and footwear sold to EU countries have,Economics and online marketplace Tradebyte.

Brexit - the gift that keeps on taking...

Your guardian article is interesting but only tells half the story. To keep it brief, the £37B cash injection is incorrect. That was the value of the shareholding the government received for a loan of £212B (IIRC) split between the two banks, to be repaid over 5 years at 12.5% interest, at which point the government would consider allowing the banks to buy the government out. RBS accepted this, Lloyds didn’t and did a cash call from shareholders to prevent the government having controlling interest. In those negotiations, what the government kept quiet was the extent of debt, due to the ABN debacle a couple of years earlier. (Gordon Brown, whilst chancellor, had convinced RBS to buy part of ABN, but had not told them the extent of the debt. RBS was riding on the crest of a wave at the time and Brown thought they could handle it. However, that debt was the main reason RBS ran out of money, or more precisely credit. 

As for you clothing sales link (again guardian), more EU red tape. 

I have given you the facts earlier. All you have come back is guardian nonsense. 
Given the facts of exchange rates, stock market and economy, how can you say brexit has failed? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

In October 2021, the UK government's Office of Budget Responsibility calculated that Brexit would cost 4% of GDP per annum over the long term. 4% of 2021 UK GDP is the equivalent of a £32 billion cost per annum to the UK taxpayer. After rebates, the UK's EU membership fee in 2018 was £13.2 billion.

Pure conjecture, as all forecasts are by definition.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

11 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Made up numbers are made up.

These two go together nicely.