The General Election in the United Kingdom

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

As for you clothing sales link (again guardian), more EU red tape. 

I have given you the facts earlier. All you have come back is guardian nonsense. 
Given the facts of exchange rates, stock market and economy, how can you say brexit has failed? 

Yes. It's interesting how they cite the humongous mountain of EU red tape as a failing of Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

Pure conjecture, as all forecasts are by definition.

4 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Hmmmm, who is a more reliable source of information, the OBR or some forum bod who doesn't understand they have been conned?

Their record is appalling. They can't get a 6 month forecast right, let alone one for "the long term", whatever that means.

Just now, RecklessAbandon said:

I'm willing to bet they are on record more accurate than you are.

They're not actually. If I were as bad as they are my investments would have sunk years ago. If their economists were any good, they wouldn't be civil servants.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, P.K. said:

In October 2021, the UK government's Office of Budget Responsibility calculated that Brexit would cost 4% of GDP per annum over the long term. 4% of 2021 UK GDP is the equivalent of a £32 billion cost per annum to the UK taxpayer. After rebates, the UK's EU membership fee in 2018 was £13.2 billion.

You made that up. 
£25B to pay by 2057. £18 paid so far. 
Source BBC

image.thumb.jpeg.fe34d7d2f4457d2a16929a4bd19d0091.jpeg

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

To bring this conversation back on topic for the thread:

Based on the current information available, @woolley which party would you vote for?

Honestly, I would struggle. I said earlier in the thread how poorly I rate modern politicians, and that goes for the lot of them. It's all so dumbed down. I'm kind of glad that I live here and don't feel the obligation, although that's a cop out in this context.

The Tories are scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent and competence. LibDem is just a wasted vote. If pushed, I might just hold my nose and go for Starmer, simply because time and ideas have clearly run out for the other lot. Sometimes the tide just turns and nothing can be said or done about it. 1979, 1997, 2010, and now 2024. Obviously a change is needed, and he has managed to quell his crazier brigade for the moment.

How about your vote? And others here?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Now we cannot know what his true intent was but he certainly, and bizarrely given his German wife, is against immigration. 

I think it’s a bit more nuanced than that. You have legal v illegal immigration, the possibility of a points based system etc.

I think we have to recognise that some people in the UK have legitimate concerns about the level and nature of immigration ( as they also do in other countries ) without automatically labelling those concerns as racism ( see PK).

Immigration has an impact on the economy ( sometimes maybe positive or sometimes negative), the provision of public services, the employment market etc.

For my part I believe immigration to be largely a good thing. Immigrants have a lot to offer not only in providing labour where required and introducing new cultures ( eg food etc) but many other benefits but we can’t just ignore any downsides  (real or perceived), or avoid a grown up discussion for fear of being labelled racist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Honestly, I would struggle. I said earlier in the thread how poorly I rate modern politicians, and that goes for the lot of them. It's all so dumbed down. I'm kind of glad that I live here and don't feel the obligation, although that's a cop out in this context.

The Tories are scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent and competence. LibDem is just a wasted vote. If pushed, I might just hold my nose and go for Starmer, simply because time and ideas have clearly run out for the other lot. Sometimes the tide just turns and nothing can be said or done about it. 1979, 1997, 2010, and now 2024. Obviously a change is needed, and he has managed to quell his crazier brigade for the moment.

How about your vote? And others here?

Hmmm I'm torn between a tactical vote and like you, holding my nose and voting for Labour.

There was more likely hood of me pulling a fulling grown elephant out of my ear than me voting for the Tories or Reform.

To be honest its more likely to be Labour, if only to prevent a Tory return (lets face it Reform is a non-starter).

1 minute ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Hmmm I'm torn between a tactical vote and like you, holding my nose and voting for Labour.

There was more likely hood of me pulling a fulling grown elephant out of my ear than me voting for the Tories or Reform.

To be honest its more likely to be Labour, if only to prevent a Tory return (lets face it Reform is a non-starter).

The only thing they will do is split the right, so Starmer should be urging Nige on.

• Thanks 1

Monster Raving Looney Party for me. None of the current parties are worth wasting a vote on.

Conservatives need to go. Self serving without imagination or care for anyone else. 
Labour haven’t even released a manifesto, and are denying things that are leaked.

Lib Dem are ok at council level, but a waste of a vote at General Election.

Greens……..Who?

Reform . Again a waste. They should just merge with the Tories.