The General Election in the United Kingdom

4 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

To bring this conversation back on topic for the thread:

Based on the current information available, @woolley which party would you vote for?

For me I’m not sure. I have a life long aversion to ever voting Tory,the dominant reason  being the crushing of the miners in 1984/5.
Even giving the people the referendum, leading to Brexit doesn’t overcome that even though they should get a lot of credit for that.

When I lived across I was a card carrying member of the Labour Party, but Starmer, and before him Corbyn, hold no appeal to me. Kinnock should have won it it if it wasn’t for his cringing performance at the Sheffield rally.

The Lib Dems are just a joke.

But I think you should use your vote. It’s important. If I did have a vote I would look at the manifestos of the non mainstream parties and make my decision on that

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

For me I’m not sure. I have a life long aversion to ever voting Tory,the dominant reason  being the crushing of the miners in 1984/5.
Even giving the people the referendum, leading to Brexit doesn’t overcome that even though they should get a lot of credit for that.

When I lived across I was a card carrying member of the Labour Party, but Starmer, and before him Corbyn, hold no appeal to me. Kinnock should have won it it if it wasn’t for his cringing performance at the Sheffield rally.

The Lib Dems are just a joke.

But I think you should use your vote. It’s important. If I did have a vote I would look at the manifestos of the non mainstream parties and make my decision on that

I voted Tory the only time I was able to in the UK. Bet nobody had that on their bingo card.

I'd have liked to see a Corbyn win. I'd also have been happy with a Rory Stewart win. Triablism/treating parties as football teams is silly.

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

@Cambon you and @woolley seem to have completely lost sight of my original complaint observation.

Which was how brexiteers try to camouflage the costs of their totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit by claiming that with totally out of the blue global issues like the pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine it's impossible to ascertain what the truth actually is. Here is a classic example of the genre:

Elicited the usual type of literally woolley response:

But the pharmacist specifically mentions brexit as a cause. And he would know!  Plus, lets face it, only a complete moron would think that the UK could cut a better trade deal than the EU with it's massive customer base and financial clout.

Which is why I set the timeline of my comparison of exchange rates for the day before the referendum. Because not even you two could possibly camouflage the damage caused by brexit amongst events that happened before the referendum. But it seems it didn't stop you trying...

PS - I don't think Dr Who can travel in time either

You are starting to come across like the fallen knight from Monty Python’s Holy Grail. 
Its nothing. Only a flesh wound. Come over here, I’ll bite your legs off. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, woolley said:

Honestly, I would struggle. I said earlier in the thread how poorly I rate modern politicians, and that goes for the lot of them. It's all so dumbed down. I'm kind of glad that I live here and don't feel the obligation, although that's a cop out in this context.

How about your vote? And others here?

Agreed. There is such a paucity of "talent" in our current government Sunak gave a totally undeserving failed has-been Cameron a peerage so he could be Foreign Secretary. One of the "Four Great Offices of State" ffs! So now he's jet-setting around the globe as living proof of just what a sorry state the UK is in. And it really is in a mess.

Our once proud NHS is a shambles and riven with discontent as a direct result of tory "austerity" policies with inevitably record numbers of folks on waiting lists. Our schools are falling down. We have record numbers of children living in poverty. Record numbers of homeless living on the streets. Record numbers of migrants. Taxation is at it's highest level in 70 years. Lack of affordable housing. Record level of debt. Our justice system is barely functioning. Record numbers of councils going bankrupt. The list just goes on and on. Whichever party gets in they will be facing such an array of "difficulties" they just won't know where to start...!

The reason I can't abide tory governments is the way all they care about is looking after tory voters so they get re-elected and the rest can go hang. As the above list demonstrates only too well. Thatcher made virtues out of selfishness and greed so tory voters always always always vote with their wallets with a clear conscience. After all, if the government don't care about the most vulnerable in our society then why should they...?

So I was VERY pleasantly surprised that a tory government pledged some £4.1bn into a "levelling up" fund! Amazingly in a London-centric UK this money was to be spent in "the provinces" which in this context means anywhere North of Watford Gap. However I was unfortunately not in the least bit surprised with this:

Levelling up: what has the government spent – and where?

The towns fund – made up of town deals and the future high streets fund – proved to be the most controversial of three main pots of money that made up the government’s levelling up agenda.

It was established to provide grants of up to £25m to aid economic regeneration, generate investment and build vital infrastructure – but the impartiality of the fund has long been called into question. In 2021 an academic study found that Conservative ultra-marginal seats were 45% more likely to be allocated funding than others, calling it an example of “pork barrel” politics – where public money is used to gain electoral advantage.

A Guardian analysis of money allocated under the so-called town deals (which make up 74% of the overall towns fund) found that the most deprived Conservative constituencies received £120 per capita, compared with just £27 per capita in the most deprived Labour constituencies.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/03/levelling-up-what-has-the-government-spent-and-where

So I will not be voting tory...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

I voted Tory the only time I was able to in the UK. Bet nobody had that on their bingo card.

I'd have liked to see a Corbyn win. I'd also have been happy with a Rory Stewart win. Triablism/treating parties as football teams is silly.

I really rated Rory too. Although he does look like Dobby the House Elf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2