The General Election in the United Kingdom

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

If you think that's bad, wait til you hear about the behaviour of oil companies...

I think that’s bad regardless of anything else that’s going on.

And yes, the behaviour of oil companies should be scrutinized and it is. They are quite rightly subject to very intensive legislation.

Who regulates the activities of the Just Stop Oil nutters? The police seem to let them get away with all sorts

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And yes, the behaviour of oil companies should be scrutinized and it is. They are quite rightly subject to very intensive legislation.

Are they though? Or do they just get inconsequential fines and continue to rake in billions in profits at the expense of the planet and people who have to buy electricity in one form or other?

Who regulates the activities of the Just Stop Oil nutters? The police seem to let them get away with all sorts

The law, obviously. One got a 6 month custodial sentence for walking in the wrong place.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/15/just-stop-oil-activist-is-first-to-be-jailed-under-new-uk-protest-law

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Perhaps you  guide us on which politicians  “ take the environment seriously”, or maybe those that don’t 

Not many actually do but the Green Party is a decent start.

“ Hooked on petrochemicals” what does that mean?

Completely unwilling to consider alternative sources of energy that are not based on fossil fuels.

Resistant to moving away from plastic goods and products. 

Reliant on petrochemical and oil  companies to fund your pension. 

I’m sorry but if you’re in support of a group of yobs wearing  hi viz orange jackets spraying paint over important artefacts , sporting arenas, weddings whatever and  putting peoples lives in danger, you are not going to garner much support.

You jump to the extreme as usual.  I won't condemn those groups but neither would I participate or encourage them.

I also don't approve of businesses that engage in 'green washing'.

Just present a cohesive argument, align yourselves with a political party that will accept you ( or start one yourself) and submit to the democratic process.

The argument is cohesive and scientifically based. 

I am pretty much with Stu Peters on this. 

No doubt I wil be labelled a “gammon” or some such juvenile insult

No name calling you are both just wrong.

• Like 2

Given the name of this thread.

” Would everyone join with me in condemning the throwing of builders rubble  at Nigel Farage in Barnsley today” which could have had very serious consequences “

No arty farty  “ well it depends” sort of argument. Just a simple yes or no ( do or don’t) will do.

Whatever you think of him, or any politician or budding politician, it’s a sad state of affairs

I hope the culprit is dealt with appropriately. For myself I would suggest a term in prison for a number of years 

I am particularly concerned by the actions of Sunak and Mordaunt,

In the head-to-head with Starmer way behind in the polls Sunak trotted out a load of nonsense that “independent Treasury officials” had costed Labour’s policies “and they amount to a £2,000 tax rise for everyone” or some such drivel. Starmer was so shocked at such blatant lying on national television that Sunak managed to repeat the same false claim something like a dozen times before he properly responded! Probably because the Treasury’s top mandarin – James Bowler – wrote to Darren Jones, the shadow chief secretary – making it clear the £2,000 figure “should not be presented as having been produced by the civil service” the day before the ITV debate!

So Sunak had been caught bang to rights telling porkies on national tv. Not a good start for the tory "campaign" was it...?

Fast forward to the next "debate" with Penny Mordaunt and Angela Rayner on the same platform. Unbelievably, to me at any rate, Mordaunt started spouting the same debunked nonsensical lies as Sunak had only days earlier! Not only did Rayner point out it was pure bollox but the BBC One host, Mishal Husain, also told Mordaunt to sling her hook as well!

I was left trying to figure out why Sunak and Mordaunt would get up on their hind legs and essentially make such fools of themselves by both blatantly lying on national tv?

I am forced to conclude that they had realised that if totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson could tell such blatant lies about brexit and get away with it then if told often enough blatant lies could get the terminally stupid members of the electorate to believe them and actually vote against reality!

If so UK politics, but more particularly tory politicians, have sunk to a new nadir.

If such a thing were possible that is...

• Haha 1

” Would everyone join with me in condemning the throwing of builders rubble  at Nigel Farage in Barnsley today” which could have had very serious consequences “

No arty farty  “ well it depends” sort of argument. Just a simple yes or no ( do or don’t) will do.

Whatever you think of him, or any politician or budding politician, it’s a sad state of affairs

I hope the culprit is dealt with appropriately. For myself I would suggest a term in prison for a number of years 

It was a coffee cup.

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I still don't like him and think he invites a lot of  this behaviour upon himself but I do agree that this well and truly overstepped the mark.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes I certainly condemn the fact that the thrower obviously had a very poor rate of accuracy.

Just not good enough...

Should obviously and provably corrupt politicians have eggs, rotten fruit and milkshakes thrown at them?  100% yes, they should be publicly shamed and their activities highlighted for all to see.

Should politicians have anything solid that can cause actual harm to a person?  Obviously no, there is a world of difference between embarrassing someone and harming someone.